How to arrange images for layered sprites?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
AERenoir
Veteran

How to arrange images for layered sprites?

#1 Post by AERenoir »

Okay so I'm having problems with making a layered sprite from the cookbook http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... t_emotions

Let's just say I cropped the face of my sprite. How do I know the pixel position of the face? Like how many pixels side and down on the "base" is the face?

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: How to arrange images for layered sprites?

#2 Post by Camille »

Well, I personally just slice my sprites in Photoshop and then look up the coordinates. (or Auro's sprites, rather) But there's other ways to do it. Just google "image map creator". You can even do it through Ren'Py. When your game is running, hit shift+D -> image location picker. Then just choose an image and go. If you click and drag, you can make boxes and Ren'Py will tell you the coordinates as (xpos, ypos, width, height).

AERenoir
Veteran

#3 Post by AERenoir »

I slice the same as crop? I want to know how I can crop in the right place. I t would be bad if I miss even by 1 pixel when I crop, no?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The slice tool is found with the crop tool in photoshop. Click and hold on the crop and you should be able to select it from the drop down menu. You can then use the slice tool to divide up the canvas. You can change position and size by right clicking on the section and opening the edit menu. Apart from that, I'm not too sure. I haven't actually used it before ^_^'

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

I think it's simpler to just layer it all in Photoshop. Sure, you'll have a lot of transparent space, but it doesn't really contribute that much to file size. When compositing, you can just align them to 0,0.

AERenoir
Veteran

#6 Post by AERenoir »

Good idea! :D