My first sprite design x_X Just the base. Crit please?♥

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
genesiswriter

My first sprite design x_X Just the base. Crit please?♥

#1 Post by genesiswriter »

It's also my first time coloring digitally.
Be constructive, please!

This is just the base. She's quite joyless, I know. She's supposed to be, as she's a joyless person until she meets her wonderful bishounen ^_^ ....and he manipulates the fuck out of her
I have to stop being lazy and finish drawing in her left arm. Also cleaning up some haphazard lines...

She'll have other emotions soon; I'll post them here when I'm done.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

Re: My first sprite design x_X Just the base. Crit please?♥

#2 Post by Greeny »

Not bad. Quite good, actually.

But you didn't come here to fish for compliments, you came to get better.
The anatomy is nigh-flawless, I'd say, but it could use some work on the finishing.
Shading is good, except for the line across her left shoulder, it looks a bit out of place,
presumably because the inner edge isn't sharp. You'd definitely see improvement if you
added some highlights on the face, and maybe even the body. The lineart and coloring is a little bit sloppy,
you can definitely work on that.
I see you're using GIMP (the paprikas are a dead giveaway; oh, by the way, those aren't part of the sprite, I hope?).
You might want to consider using the "path" tool to create smooth curves which you can use to cut the edges of
the lineart, making it smoother.

I would also suggest making the lineart a slightly lighter shade, or even using color entirely.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

genesiswriter

#3 Post by genesiswriter »

Thanks for replying!<3
I DID use the path too for pretty much the entire lineart DD;
OAH It's still sloppy ;w; It took forever too... OTL

How do I add highlights on her face? o_o
I'm gonna clean up the coloring.

I like to use black outlines, but would you suggest that instead of using a lighter shade I use a thinner line? I was afraid of making it too thin because it might look jagged. Ahh, where is the middle ground @__@

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Greeny »

genesiswriter wrote:Thanks for replying!<3
I DID use the path too for pretty much the entire lineart DD;
Well, there's a bit of a difference in what I meant. This is a technique I learned for smoother lines; After you do the lineart, you add a new path, but instead of making lines, you make a shape, with one edge running smoothly along the rougher parts of your lineart, then do "path to selection" and then simply cut. Perhaps I should show you?
genesiswriter wrote:How do I add highlights on her face? o_o
I'm gonna clean up the coloring.
Well, you could either use a lighter color, use a new layer with the "dodge" layer effect or use the dodge tool.
genesiswriter wrote:I like to use black outlines, but would you suggest that instead of using a lighter shade I use a thinner line? I was afraid of making it too thin because it might look jagged. Ahh, where is the middle ground @__@
Well, using colored lines would automatically make it look thinner, I think. Either way works, I guess.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!

genesiswriter

#5 Post by genesiswriter »

Yes, please show!

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Greeny »

This should clarify:
Attachments
untitled.png

genesiswriter

#7 Post by genesiswriter »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

genesiswriter

#8 Post by genesiswriter »

Ah, just noticed all my lines are thick as all fuck.... OTL

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#9 Post by Nuxill »

Thick lines aren't bad, but you might want to go back and try shaving some of the line edges down to give the lineart some weight.
Also arm on the right is shorter than the arm on the left and should be brought down just a tiny bit so they match up. Other than that the anatomy looks pretty good! :)

The biggest problem I have with the sprite is the coloring. There's no apparent light source and the color you used is a darker version of the color with no change in saturation or hue. Instead of bringing the color picker straight down a bit move it down and to the right to add a bit of pop to your drawing. Also try experimenting with moving the hue slider slightly when you choose shades and highlights. It'll make your work pop more. Also I suggest picking a light source and sticking with it for every part of the body. Think of the human form as a bunch of flat planes and try to imagine what would happen if you shined a light at one point of the body and how it would affect the rest of it. If that doesn't work try looking at reference of bodies in shadow to get an idea of where things should be placed.

And if you do use dodge (and burn) use them SPARINGLY. A quick brush over once or twice can help bring out the lights or darks of your picture but using them to shade and highlight on their own is murder to your lovely picture.

I hope you don't mind, but I took a really quick stab at re-shading your picture as a demonstration of the things I've suggested. Hopefully it'll give you some help.

Good luck with your sprite work!
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 11.45.43 PM.png