AzureXtwilight's corner (Working on requests)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

AzureXtwilight's corner (Working on requests)

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

So...
I decided to post anything I've made.
Simple huh?
'Kay, here ya go.

These are chars I made for my "another game" project while I'm waiting for spell check.
Dunno if I'm gettin' serious at it or not...
Deathsync, a bit resemblance to Leon...
Deathsync, a bit resemblance to Leon...
Deathsync.png (31.42 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
Valen, a pinky girl.
Valen, a pinky girl.
Valen.png (20.91 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
Kai, the main char of my in game process.
Kai, the main char of my in game process.
Kai.png (18.59 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
You know him... Right?
You know him... Right?
Gil.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
Bryan
Bryan
Bryan.png (16.06 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
And I made sprites too,
like this.
Bryan's sprite XD.
Bryan's sprite XD.
sprite template2bryan copy.png (39.66 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
sYNC...
sYNC...
sYNC.png (29.66 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
If u wanna know the story I've made, clicky:
http://www.freewebs.com/azurextwilight/ ... pter15.htm
Last edited by azureXtwilight on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

Re: AzureXtwilights creations

#2 Post by azureXtwilight »

Another effort of making a pic :
A little girl...
A little girl...
CSS.png (29.45 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
the bigger version:
Clblu.png
Clblu.png (35.2 KiB) Viewed 5243 times

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by N0UGHTS »

Dang. I can never make sprites. :envies:

The lighting on the hair... Hair lighting is usually more of a halo like this. Also, pay attention to depth and where the lighting is coming from. Hair on the top of your head is sure to get light, though the hair behind your face should be darker. You might also want to Google pictures of girls in shirts... Wrinkle reference and such.

Try not to use gradients too much. I suggest to only use it if you're trying to do something like metal, Mucha-esque, etc.

I'm sure everyone has a "dip" in their hair where their longest hairs come from. Like... The head shouldn't be perfectly round. Err, do you understand what I'm saying, or am I failing at getting the message across?
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#4 Post by azureXtwilight »

Ah, dun' worry about it. Thank you for the comment tough! I'm glad it's not just "Wow, I like your picture" or "Your picture suck". Aiee, thnx once again! :D

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by musical74 »

I've never been one to just say *artwork's GREAT* or *artwork STINKS!* without a reason why...just saying that doesn't tell the artist anything really.

Regarding the hair on the latter post...it's weird. I can't put a finger on how to make it better, just...it seems odd to me. I don't know if it's a shading issue or not - artists can answer that question for sure - but OUTSIDE of that, it's a good picture :) everything seems nicely done and I like the sprites :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#6 Post by Deji »

*Deji butting in outof procrastination*

Your girls look cute ^o^!!
I specially like the little one =P

Now, me being me, Iwent and did a resketch and recolor of your sprites to explain a couple of things to you that were bothering me.
Of course this is just an advice, so you can take whatever you think it helps you and discard whatever you think it's not useful to you/you don't like ^^
axt_resketch.jpg
Ok, a couple of things anatomy-wise:
The heads of both girls aren't centered in relation to their necks/bodies, both heads are placed a bit to the left.
The top of the head looks too pointy, imo... it reminds me a bit of an egg X_x; flattening and softening the curve looks beter for me.

Now about the coloring, I have a problem with your gradients... not because they're gradiends, but because they come from diferent angles Dx; In the grown-up girl, the skin is lighter at the right and darker at the left, but the hair and shirt are totally the opposite. It's confusing! So keep them all coming from the same part of the screen.
The hard, cel-shaded shadow on the chest of the grown-up girl looks nice (I like soifter shadows myself, thou), and I think you should add a bit more of those on the rest of te picture, like in the hair and skin, for example.

------------------
musical74 was discussing about the highlighted part of the hair.
It's an issue to a lot of people, really, but it's not as complicated as it seems. Well, I mean you can always simplify it if it's giving you troubles =3
axt_highlight.jpg
The first one is the easiest and simplest thing ever xD;
The second one is a bit more like a alo, but it's wider on the direction the light is supposed to come from and it gets thines to the opposite direction.
The third one is the same halo, but he bottom was erased with a big soft airbrush-y brush.
The fourth one is a bit more tricky. The idea is to make lines, inside the edges of the hair strands that are on the side where the light comes from (in this case, the right). On the thicker strands, you can draw long agled lined to form VVV shapes. To soften the lines you can erase the tips with a soft airbrush-y brush.
Fifth one is the same than fourth, but I also used a big soft airbrush-y brush at low opacity to go over the highlights.
And the last one is the fourth one plus dodge tool, using a soft airbrush-y brush again XP

Hope it helps!

(btw, if I'm being annoying, please let me know and I'll refrain myself from resketching your stuff from now on DX;)
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#7 Post by azureXtwilight »

Aieee... I dun' understand photoshop alot... XD
Btw, I'm just practicing using corel draw and so on, and I don't have a tablet n' stuff, even a scanner...
And I'm a big fan of your art, deji! I'm soo happy you'll re-sketch mine. Make more! :oops:
Anyway, now that I've realized that it's a bit too pointy, because I think the lineart and node points in corel are still too hard for me to handle, oh well.
And the colors too, whoops, guess I'll have to pay attention to the light source.
By the way, what kind of brush do you use to put the light in the hair?

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#8 Post by Deji »

azureXtwilight wrote:Aieee... I dun' understand photoshop alot... XD
Btw, I'm just practicing using corel draw and so on, and I don't have a tablet n' stuff, even a scanner...
And I'm a big fan of your art, deji! I'm soo happy you'll re-sketch mine. Make more! :oops:
Anyway, now that I've realized that it's a bit too pointy, because I think the lineart and node points in corel are still too hard for me to handle, oh well.
And the colors too, whoops, guess I'll have to pay attention to the light source.
I've never used CorelDraw, so I cant help you there =X;
you should try to get a scanner, thou! IMO is easier to draw on paper, scan and then do simplee coloring with the mouse to start than doing it fully with a tablet =P (well, I started like that xD;)

About the brush, it's just a normal round hard brush. I use the tablet, thou, but it can be done with either alasso tool or with vectors/paths. The only trich is to erase tings with a soft airbrush-y brush. When you want to add "extra light", use a bigger airbrush-y brush with low opacity very gently over where you want ^^

I should make a little tutorial about it... hmm... maybe next sunday....
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Mitsu

#9 Post by Mitsu »

Hmmm, I wonder why many people like tablets so much... I prefer drawing on paper with pencil (the traditional way is the best!). As for colouring, whether it's Photoshop, OpenCanvas or other programmes, I do think using the mouse is as easy as using the tablet. My friend can draw a Bleach wallpaper in MS Paint just by using her mouse and colour it within 2 hours.

If you want to see, it, check this link. It's very impressive...
http://akiot-t.deviantart.com/art/ms-pa ... -112087605

I know that she got no scanner or Photoshop, and all her works are 100% mouse-drawn in MS Paint.

PS: Deji, can you help re-sketch my art? I think the face and the shirt all got wrong... I'm an absolute shir at drawing...
http://supachibi.deviantart.com/art/Whi ... -111176028

#10 Post by Guest »

azureXtwilight wrote:Aieee... I dun' understand photoshop alot... XD
I've seen you a lot here, and I'm wondering... How old are you? I'm 14.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#11 Post by azureXtwilight »

Fifteen, this year I'm gonna be sixteen ^_^

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

azureXtwilight wrote:Fifteen, this year I'm gonna be sixteen ^_^
Uuuh... so young, you make me feel so old, shiku shiku shiku...

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

Just got bored and decided to sketch....

Maybe I'll use him sometimes!

dstarsboy
Veteran

#14 Post by dstarsboy »

azureXtwilight wrote:Fifteen, this year I'm gonna be sixteen ^_^
OMG. When I was 15 I had a runny nose and only cared about ninjas and candy. That's pretty impressive that you're putting together full VNs at your age. Great work! :)
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

V2Blast
Regular

#15 Post by V2Blast »

dstarsboy: You had a runny nose for an entire year? :P
azureXtwilight wrote:Just got bored and decided to sketch....

Maybe I'll use him sometimes!
Looks like an angry fellow.
Pie is delicious.