A character set for Khmix's character maker

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Adsiltia

A character set for Khmix's character maker

#1 Post by Adsiltia »

I've been lurking around here forever and finally decided to sign up and contribute something.

I don't understand Japanese but I've managed to figure out a few things through trial and error to create a custom character set using Khmix's character maker (http://khmix.sakura.ne.jp/download.shtml).

This is an ongoing project for me for now since this makes it easy to randomly generate character templates and expressions on the fly. This set doesn't have a lot of clothing yet. I present to you, Katou!
preview.png
You can download the custom character set I made here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zjf4zzzyomj

For anyone else interested in creating their own custom set or adding on to my own, here's a rough idea of how it works.

Your folder structure must look like this:

[set name]
--[accessory_back]
--[accessory_front]
--[accessory_middle_back]
--[accessory_middle_front]
--[body_back]
This is where the nude body of the doll goes. It must have the same file name as the clothing from body_front & body_front_color.This is the layer that has the shadows for the clothing.
--[body_front]
This is where the clothing goes. It must have the same file name as body_back and body_front_color.
--[body_front_color]
This must have the same file name as body_back and body_front. This is what allows you to change the color of the outfit. You can even place just the outline of the clothing in the body_front.
--[eye]
This is where all the eyes go.
--[face_back]
--[face_front]
This is where you can put all the expressions in except the eyes.
--[hair_back]
This is where the back of the hair goes
--[hair_back_accessory]
--[hair_front]
This is where the bangs and side burns go
--[hair_front_accessory]
--[head]
This is where you can place any overal facial changes are such as blushes.

character.ini <- you need to change the dimensions to be the same as your doll. Make sure you edit using notepad.

When you create your images, make sure you save them in PNG-24.

All this should make more sense once you take a look at my custom set. It should also make it easier to figure out the program if you don't understand Japanese.
Attachments
boy.zip
unzip and place the folder inside the "data" folder of Khmix's character maker. To use, from Khmix's program, click on the third tab > drop down and select "boy." The note that appears below should confirm this. Click on the button to the right of the drop down to confirm that you want to use this set.
(681.9 KiB) Downloaded 468 times

dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: A character set for Khmix's character maker

#2 Post by dstarsboy »

Your stuff works pretty well (except the accessories at the bottom). That program is pretty nifty, good find. :)
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

rimir
Regular
Projects: Only test projects

#3 Post by rimir »

Somehow it always reports an error when I try to load your character set.Tell me what I'm doing wrong?
error2.PNG

Adsiltia

#4 Post by Adsiltia »

@dstarsboy: I don't know why the clothing shows up as accessories. I'm not sure if this is a bug or I need to add a prefix that I don't know about to indicate that it's only supposed to be clothing. The accessories area is supposed to have some kind of prefix to adopt the color you assign hair, or clothing.

@rimir: I encountered this error message when I was first creating the set and I suspect it has something to do with my character set bigger than the default program size. So here's the trick that seems to make it work for me: Go into the "data" folder for the character maker > boy > right click on "character.ini" and edit in notepad.

You'll see this data
[Size]
size_x=450
size_y=600

[Parts]
hair_front=
hair_back=
head=
face=
eye=
body=
accessory=

[Color]
hair_rgb=2
hair_gray=3
eye_rgb=2
eye_gray=3
skin_rgb=0
skin_gray=3
body_rgb=0
body_gray=3
Edit the bolded text above to reflect this
size_x=300
size_y=400

save, then open the character set in Khmix's program. You'll get a blank. Close Khmix's program, then edit the character.ini again to reflect the real size:
size_x=450
size_y=600

At this point it should work. Let me know if this helps.

rimir
Regular
Projects: Only test projects

#5 Post by rimir »

Oh I am so sorry I hadn't checked this thread earlier. :oops:

Your method worked perfectly.Thanks. :D

BTW,resizing it to 300x400 doesn't actually show a blank but rather shows katou shifted to the side of the window at a closeup. :)

Do you have any more character sets to share?

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

As of this writing, Adsiltia's custom character set is no longer available on Mediafire. Is it archived anywhere else?
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

ForgottenVision
Regular
Projects: The Student Council

#7 Post by ForgottenVision »

Does anyone possibly know how to change the program so that the hair goes on the front of the face rather than having the eyes show on a layer above it?

I kinda need that if I want to continue working on the imageset thing I want to give a try =/
Racheya @ Forgotten Vision Presents...
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 1 [Completed] (Not Publicly Released)
One Afternoon [Completed] - More Info/Download here
The School Council [WIP] - BxG
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 2 [Postponed]

Koizumi
Projects: Maya's Dream/Fantasy

#8 Post by Koizumi »

ForgottenVision wrote:Does anyone possibly know how to change the program so that the hair goes on the front of the face rather than having the eyes show on a layer above it?

I kinda need that if I want to continue working on the imageset thing I want to give a try =/

ummm... you can try exchange folder places? XP

example:

Put your Hair files in your Eyes folder
and your Eyes in your Hair front folder...

I think it'll work.... I guess ^^

ForgottenVision
Regular
Projects: The Student Council

#9 Post by ForgottenVision »

I did *kind of* think of that, but it would move everything into different places in regards as to where you select them from. Even so, it might be something worth looking at - thanks :)
Racheya @ Forgotten Vision Presents...
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 1 [Completed] (Not Publicly Released)
One Afternoon [Completed] - More Info/Download here
The School Council [WIP] - BxG
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 2 [Postponed]

Koizumi

#10 Post by Koizumi »

ForgottenVision wrote:I did *kind of* think of that, but it would move everything into different places in regards as to where you select them from. Even so, it might be something worth looking at - thanks :)
I tried it and it worked! :shock: XD

Lyraevi

#11 Post by Lyraevi »

Can you upload this file again? I tried to download it, but it writes that "the file is deleted".

Koizumi

#12 Post by Koizumi »

Lyraevi wrote:Can you upload this file again? I tried to download it, but it writes that "the file is deleted".

look at the end of Adsiltia's post, there's an attachment that you can download :)

Lyraevi

#13 Post by Lyraevi »

Oh ^^' Thank you!

paku

#14 Post by paku »

Adsiltia wrote:Edit the bolded text above to reflect this
size_x=300
size_y=400

save, then open the character set in Khmix's program. You'll get a blank. Close Khmix's program, then edit the character.ini again to reflect the real size:
size_x=450
size_y=600

At this point it should work. Let me know if this helps.
I have followed exactly the same way, however the program still shows error and closed right after I selected 'boy' and clicked on the button on the right. Thereafter I could not enter the program again, and what I did was to edit the config file outside the data folder, and changed the character back to default before I could open again. Would appreciate if you can walk me through.

dm251

#15 Post by dm251 »

This one is pretty cool.
Thanks for Sharing Man. XD , Now I won't get troubled on a few simple Character designs...

would be better if someone can translate it for us o,o