Mugenjohncel's Quick, Dirty and Cheap Tutorials

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: Mugenjohncel's Quick, Dirty and Cheap Tutorials

#31 Post by dstarsboy »

Wow, nice forrest BG. I bet if you just used drawn images instead of photos it will have the "drawn" look to it. Very good tutorial.

So, since this is "Mugenjohncel's Quick, Dirty and Cheap Tutorials" does that mean we can request tutorials? hehe..

I can do these, but I can't do these very quickly, dirtily (is that a work) or cheaply:
Like how to make text look like it belongs in a sign or on the side of a building correctly... or how to do halo highlights on people's hair?

Do it! Do it!

:P
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#32 Post by MaiMai »

dstarsboy wrote: Like how to make text look like it belongs in a sign or on the side of a building correctly... or how to do halo highlights on people's hair?

Halo highlights aren't too hard in my opinion. When I cel-shade, I usually make a new empty layer (this is in PS7 mind you) set it to Overlay and then choose a lighter shade and then paint on that halo of hair. Just make sure it's on top of the layer where you already colored in your hair with the base color.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

dstarsboy
Veteran

#33 Post by dstarsboy »

MaiMai wrote:
dstarsboy wrote: Like how to make text look like it belongs in a sign or on the side of a building correctly... or how to do halo highlights on people's hair?

Halo highlights aren't too hard in my opinion. When I cel-shade, I usually make a new empty layer (this is in PS7 mind you) set it to Overlay and then choose a lighter shade and then paint on that halo of hair.
My technique is crappy. I draw a oval circle in white, then dupe the layer, color the second one black, rasterize both shapes, align the second oval over the first oval so that the only white that's showing is my perceived halo, then select the black oval, then activate the layer for the white oval, then delete the selection on the white oval, then delete the black oval layer, then select the base hair color, select inverse, delete the selection from what's left of the white oval and set its transparency to 25%. Alot of work for a halo. :(
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Adorya »

I want the white/red liquid tutorial since you are no longer lurking in g**o-chan :mrgreen:

Nessiah
Regular
Completed: Valthirian Arc
Projects: DollMaker

#35 Post by Nessiah »

I don't think the forest fit well with the bg.
Well I guess this is just an IMO.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#36 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

the forest looks great. However, somehow it seems like it's too photorealistic to be placed in the same story as a bg using the technique before that. Do you know of any way to get the forest to have a feel more like the bg before it?

adrix89
Regular

#37 Post by adrix89 »

I just found out the motherload of free tree textures
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads. ... &s=dd&pn=9
kimi: You could try filtering the tree to give it a more painted look and work a little bit more on the ground as it gives a look of a plane so some shading might give a more geometric look plus the addition of grass and plants might give a more interesting look

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#38 Post by delta »

sup imbeciles, for a rant about how evil filtered photos are you sure have made a nice tutorial on how to filter photos.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#39 Post by dstarsboy »

I like filtered photos more than real photos in the absence of a drawn bg.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#40 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Not bad...

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#41 Post by mugenjohncel »

adrix89 wrote:I just found out the motherload of free tree textures
Thanks for the link... this is very useful...
delta wrote:sup imbeciles
Keep your faggotry off my thread... please...
KimiYoriBaka wrote:the forest looks great. However, somehow it seems like it's too photorealistic to be placed in the same story as a bg using the technique before that. Do you know of any way to get the forest to have a feel more like the bg before it?
the forest looks great. However, somehow it seems like it's too photorealistic to be placed in the same story as a bg using the technique before that. Do you know of any way to get the forest to have a feel more like the bg before it?
Nessiah wrote:I don't think the forest fit well with the bg.
Well I guess this is just an IMO.
Hmm... both of you were right... This tutorial is meant to show a fast, easy and cheap way to make delicious BG's for mere mortals like us (and to satisfy Samu-Kun's err... request)... yes... I promise to make a better tutorial... maybe next week...
Samu-kun wrote:Just as planned!
Dammit!... Finish your game already so I can draw delicious fanart for it!... or maybe... just maybe... you and me could work on your game together :twisted:

"POOF" (Disappears)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#42 Post by mugenjohncel »

Nessiah wrote:I don't think the forest fit well with the bg.Well I guess this is just an IMO.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:the forest looks great. However, somehow it seems like it's too photorealistic to be placed in the same story as a bg using the technique before that. Do you know of any way to get the forest to have a feel more like the bg before it?
Before we begin, let's first stop and ask... what is it that I wanted?... How am I going to achieve what I wanted?...

what is it that I wanted?
For this case, we want to make a forest that looked like it was hand drawn or maybe something out of anime, to make it blend

with other hand drawn sprites which leads us to the next question...

How am I going to achieve what I wanted?
The most obvious answer would be to draw the individial trees "manually" but were a bunch of lazy/busy/untalented people and wanted a quick, easy and dirty way to achive the same result... agree, right?

For this tutorial you first need to have a tree texture to play with...download one from here... (thanks adrix89)
http://www.sharecg.com/v/7455/Texture/t ... with-alpha

Let's take a good look at the downloaded tree... what makes it look, realistic? Maybe it's the insane amount of details in the leaves or perhaps the huge amount of color palette used. Now compare this with anime/handdrawn trees... color palette is limited to say up tp 10 shades of color... I dunno... but it's generally more pleasing to look at... maybe has something to do with colors but no matter (Bah... I am running out of good english words)

I will assume the following...

- You have Photoshop and know how to use photoshop
- 10 minutes free time
- Patience

With all in place, I now present you...

Step 1:
Open the downloaded tree texture in photoshop. You should see the tree texture being the only layer present. Duplicate the layer (see screenshot below)

If done correctly, you should see something like this (see screenshot below)

Step 2:
Make sure you have the topmost layer as your current active layer and desaturate it (SHIFT + CTRL + U) to make it gray (see screenshot below)

Step 3:
See the tabs on top of photoshop?... go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENT > BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST and copy the following settings. Make sure you have the topmost layer as your current active layer (see screenshot below)

Step 4:
Again, look at the tabs on top of photoshop and go to FILTER > BLUR > GAUSSIAN BLUR and copy these settings (see screenshot below)

Step 5:
You know the drill... Tabs on top of photoshop. Go to FILTER > ARTISTIC > PAINT DAUBS and copy these settings (see screenshot below)

Step 6:
Duplicate the current active layer you just edited (see screenshot below)

Step 7:
Follow the instructions you see on screen (see screenshot below)

Step 8:
Yes... we go back to the tabs again. Go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENT > HUE/SATURATION and copy these settings or until satisfied with the color of the leaves... just concentrate on the leaves for now (see screenshot below)

Step 9:

Step 10:
Tabs... again. Go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENT > HUE/SATURATION (again) and copy these settings or until satisfied with the color of the tree trunk... just concentrate on the tree trunk and ignore the leaves (see screenshot below)

Step 11:

If done correctly, you should see something like this (see screenshot below) Now see the bottom layer on the layers window?... delete it.

Step 12:

Then merge the two layers (CTRL + E) and if done correctly, you should only have one single layer (see screenshot below)

Step 13:
Duplicate your one and only layer (see screenshot below)

Same with the previous step, link the non active layer with the active layer and merge them (CTRL + E)

If done correctly, your tree should have more volume to it (see screenshot below)

I hope this helps...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#43 Post by Samu-kun »

Tsch. Damn it, now you're making too many of these tutorials! There goes another method that I won't be able to use in the future because I know you use it!

dstarsboy
Veteran

#44 Post by dstarsboy »

mugenjohncel wrote:
Samu-kun wrote:Just as planned!
Dammit!... Finish your game already so I can draw delicious fanart for it!... or maybe... just maybe... you and me could work on your game together :twisted:
That would be great to see!
Although I'm sure Samu wouldn't want his sweet, innocent space girls corrupted by your evilness! :P

Great tutorial on how to "cartoonize" that tree, btw!
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#45 Post by Blue123 »

These sure are some interesting filtered photos.