red lines, please?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

red lines, please?

#1 Post by x__sinister »

Right, so I've never been a person who was dead-set on drawing. I never took any classes, nor did I draw enough to refine my style. This is really as far as I've ever gotten. I think it's fair, considering it's my first ever time drawing the human body. If someone could red-line this, that would be super helpful.

I can fix her chin and that one lopsided eye...
I struggled with a lot of things. I think that either her breasts are too small for her thighs or her thighs are too big for her breasts. ;A; She's supposed to be curvy. The arms were really killing me, as well as the hand. It looks too small for some reason.
Tell me what you think!
Attachments
mirasketch.JPG
A literate roleplaying community.

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

Re: red lines, please?

#2 Post by modesty »

Off to a promising start.
Here's what you need to know.
1) When drawing the human figure, break it down into basic shapes. Everyone (no matter their body mass) has the same skeleton. I generally draw "bones" first and flesh it out. (Stick figures essentially).It'll help with proportions
2) With parts giving you particular difficulty (like hands or feet) observe just that part and practice drawing it.

3) Women come in many shapes and proportions. You don't NEED an hourglass girl. (Please so overdone!)
Me I'm an "A" type/Pear woman where my shoulders and bust are narrower than my hips. (:3 wide hips yeah!) (Tiny waist too. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_body_shape <---WARNING Artist nude paintings.
But this has the diagram or simplified sketch of various body types.

here are my crude red lines.

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

Re: red lines, please?

#3 Post by pinkmouse »

I'm pretty feeble at drawing, but one thing that I'm paying careful attention to now is the size of characters' hands: I often draw them too small.

Believe it or not, your hand is the same size as your face! (I really didn't believe it when I was first told. If you put the heel of your hand on your chin, the tips of your fingers will be just about where your eyebrows are.) I find this is a quick check to do at the first, sketchy stage.

Of course a character's hand may appear to be much larger or smaller due to perspective if it's closer/further away from the "camera" than their face is.

Edit: W00T! My 100th post already, garrulous old quean that I am!