The Wonders of Glue - A Short Story

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Haruhi Suzumiya

The Wonders of Glue - A Short Story

#1 Post by Haruhi Suzumiya »

Glue is quite fascinating, don’t you think? This liquid - or sometimes semi-liquid little wonder has been around since the time of the ancient Babylonians. It is a constant adhesive substance that we have grown so accustomed to using in our daily lives, that we sometimes take its importance for granted.

As I sat there mending my old shoe together with some Mighty Bond, I couldn’t help but be fascinated with the wonders of glue. It’s a piece of technology that has remained virtually unchanged through the years. Glue can fix even the most fragile of broken bonds – working its magic as precisely or imprecisely as the skill of the mender allows. And after it has worked its magic, it leaves almost no trace that it’s ever been there, although this is partly brand-dependent.

As I was engrossed in my rather leisurely task, my thoughts drifted back to the days of my youth long past. Back then, life was so much simpler, so much happier, and people seemed just a little bit more trustworthy.

Before the advent of television, the local plazas were the only source of entertainment apart from shady establishments, which most people frowned at.

“Celia! Hurry up! We want to get a good spot for the movie.” My younger sister used to bug me like this whenever there was Coca-Cola or Marlboro sponsored movie to be shown in the plaza.

The way it happened was that some big-name company would sponsor a free movie showing at the plaza’s basketball court. A professional barker would make the announcement all over the neighborhood in a van with a loudspeaker attached. All the kids knew his speech by heart. There were slight variations based on the movie, but it was always something like,

“Ladies and gentlemen, come one, come all! Hear me out! An exciting movie will be shown at 7:00 P.M. tonight! There will be fighting! There will be drama! There will be suspense! And there might even be… just a little bit of kissing!”

As children, I and my playmates would chant along with the barker. A new movie was shown once every week, usually on a Friday. For us kids, it was a chance to stay up late and watch the latest cool thing from the states. Me and my two brothers and three sisters wouldn’t be able to take our afternoon nap in anticipation of the movie.

Come movie time, everyone would dress up in their Sunday best and arrive at least an hour or so early. The important people, such as the event organizers or the politician who sponsored the movie would. There were limited seats available, so some people would actually bring their own chairs. There were also some people climbing the trees and watching from there. I wanted to try it myself, but my parents expressly forbid any one of us to even try that.

That also reminds me, parental authority was so much simpler to impose back then.

“Don’t even think about it or I’ll spank you with a ruler when we get home!”

That was quite an effective deterrent. I think this whole anti-violence against children movement nowadays is a bit silly. We grew up fine with our parents’ traditional Spanish disciplinary method. My own children did fine with a slightly toned down version of the same thing.

Over the course of time, as I grew from being a child, a teenager, and eventually, a professional educator, the plaza movies reflected the transition of eras.

At first, there were only silent movies, like the old Charlie Chaplin comedy shows. Then came Technicolor and with it, a host of “Cowboys versus Indians” movies. These shows actually had sound! We could hear what authentic American English sounded like for the first time! Incidentally, parents didn’t think much of the amount of violence their children would be exposed to back then. The movie was good as long as there were no sexual connotations. The occasional kiss was fine and wholesome.

The last few shows I saw were during my college years. I was already married at that time. This was the time of vaudeville and musical type of movies where the actors would suddenly break out into song, “Annie,” was a film that I would never forget. The singing and dancing made me feel like a child again at times. Of course, as I would later discover, I really was still pretty much a child on the inside during those early parts of my adult life.

“Nyaaah! Mama! Mama!”

My 9-month old granddaughter’s protests jostle me back to reality. It seems that she’d just woken up from her crib and I happen to be the only person in the house who is still awake at the moment… convenient.

I prepare my aging, but still relatively strong knees to get up, but first I turn to my handiwork and realize that the adhesive had already set while I was reminiscing. Glue is indeed a wonderful substance; able to mend almost anything in a sticky, transparent liquid (or semi-liquid). I think about how it would be wonderful if life had such a catalyst - something that could mend a broken family, a lost friendship, or perhaps, even a wounded heart that has never healed in over a decade from the loss of a husband in an unobtrusive way that you wouldn’t even notice unless you were looking too closely.

I smirk at the thought. Making my way into my granddaughter’s room, I noticed that she’d thrown her favorite piano/laptop toy to the floor and it was now broken into two pieces. She looked inconsolable as she continued to cry out, “Mama! Mam! Mam! Mamaaaa!”

“Don’t worry, dear. Mama will fix things in a jiffy.”
Ah yes, the wonders of glue.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: The Wonders of Glue - A Short Story

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Hey! If Haruhi Suzumiya says glue is great, it must be true!

Are you ready for a review? First up, you have excellent grammar, diction, and control of voice and I hope everyone reaches your level one day: no matter what, at least it's readable...
As I was engrossed in my rather leisurely task, my thoughts drifted back to the days of my youth long past. Back then, life was so much simpler, so much happier, and people seemed just a little bit more trustworthy.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be... :)
And there might even be… just a little bit of kissing!”
:lol:
I think this whole anti-violence against children movement nowadays is a bit silly.
I think that the violence against children movement is misinformed: there's a difference between discipline and punishment. The former is acceptable; the latter is not.
“Nyaaah! Mama! Mama!”
Good shift in tone here, jostling the reader like the character.
I prepare my aging, but still relatively strong knees to get up,
This construction is confusing... I was like, prepare my aging? How do you prepare to age? Perhaps, "I prepare my aging—but still relatively strong— knees to get up." It's Alt+0151 to make a long hyphen.
I smirk at the thought.
This seems unnecessary. The tone is wry enough without it, it is like an exclamation point where there should be none.
Ah yes, the wonders of glue.
Nice one on the title drop and bringing it back around to the start. I like stories with cinematic timing and panning, where you end where you begin... it's a classic literary technique. Good job all around.

Hey, it's better than no replies! I wish someone would do this for my writing... :oops:

Code: Select all

Are you going to expand this into a short Ren'Py game?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Jake
Support Hero

#3 Post by Jake »

JinzouTamashii wrote:Perhaps, "I prepare my aging—but still relatively strong— knees to get up." It's Alt+0151 to make a long hyphen.
Point of order, but there's no such thing as a "long hyphen". It's a long dash, or "em-dash". "Hyphen" refers specifically to the one (short) dash character which you use for, well, hyphenation.

Also, while most for-print style guides recommend against it, I'd personally suggest spaces around the dashes for the parenthetical clause just for readability purposes:
I prepare my aging — but still relatively strong — knees to get up
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#4 Post by JinzouTamashii »

That always bothered me with — and … do you use a space or not? :lol:
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

YuMMz
Regular

#5 Post by YuMMz »

Nice critique. I agree, I often wish I could get constructive critique for my writing. A heads up if your an aspiring writer, http://www.critiquecircle.com has a nice system; even if the average critique is still subpar.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to encourage replies like this.

Haruhi_Suzumiya

#6 Post by Haruhi_Suzumiya »

Thank you for the review, JinzouTamashii.
Silly ordinary humans, I do not care for your critiques. Reviews are fine.