Game art (yeah I totally changed it XD)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Re: Game art (yeah I totally changed it XD)

#16 Post by sake-bento »

The guy reminds me of Winner from Karin (not necessarily a bad thing). His eyes aren't fully lined up on the horizontal. The one on the right is a little higher than the other, but I'm glad he has eye whites. ^-^ His torso is also pretty narrow, even for a skinny dude. I'm digging the ascot, though.

The sporty girl is definitely my favorite design. It's the most unique of all of them and I like her proportions the most. Her eyes are also a little misaligned, though. That's a really cool thing on her arm. O:

amenya
Projects: Collage Dilemma (CD)

#17 Post by amenya »

nope I meant people who were yelling at me about piano and that's a rather long story XD
I do appreciate your guys help honest!

<3 hugs sake (your name makes me hungry and thirsty XD sake is one of the few booz I can have that doesn't make my stomach hurt)

That's her sweatband/armband (whatever you call those things XD) yeah I looked at the teacher and momo and I was like.....I need something that looks really different.....She started out with dark blue hair and I was like no....Then pure blond and that wasn't right. Then the combination happened so yey ^___^

The guy got a little elongated from the re-size, but he's suppose to be really scrawny. I'll see if I can re-size his width a little, and yey you noticed his accessory ^__^

The two that are left are the rich girl and the normal girl.

Edit

I'll be redoing the art so it's more cemetrical....I hope. I'll do my best XD

Edit

ImageImage

Is this better? I may have to make the neck a little wider because I changed the chin structure a little bit, and I moved the eyes. Not sure if it's right. I also put the white of the eye there. I got the okay from the friend who wants this character in the game to do that. so yeah changed. It makes the eye pop even more so I like it, and he's content too. edited it again XD

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#18 Post by JinzouTamashii »

This is getting better. Do you want a red line guide?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

amenya

#19 Post by amenya »

Yes that would be very helpful. I see it's getting better to but it's not right yet. Also I just want it on the face, I'm not going to screw around with the body. I want it to be as simple as possible.

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

#20 Post by x__sinister »

Personally, I think that if you want to get better at drawing (in general), you should do a little more work than just resizing the body and redoing the face. >w>
A literate roleplaying community.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by JinzouTamashii »

amenya wrote:not going to screw around with the body
want it to be as simple as possible.
Well, you're not going to get anywhere in art with an "it must be easy and not too much work" attitude. Art is a veritable timesink in order to get good results, and any good piece will usually take upwards of 3 hours that I've found.

Use my sketch layers and learn from them. Drawing the clothes on top of the blue sketch layer in the PSD I gave you. That should help you some and it's good practice either way.

Here's some practice for you: http://tenminutedrawing.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

amenya

#22 Post by amenya »

JinzouTamashii wrote:
amenya wrote: "it must be easy and not too much work" additude /2007_02_01_archive.html

wasn't remotely nesacary to post. Careful some people would get offended if they read this. I'm already doing music backgrounds the story. I want to get characters done asap so I can compile something, because I'm the type of person that needs to see something. That's how I work. I don't have to work that way or anything, but things make more sense to me that way. If that's not how you work that's fine.

Thanks for the help though when you asked about red lining. I'm sure that'll help me see things. As I'm more a visual learning. (Which is probably why I need to see something as I work)
I can't use the first picture you posted. It's drawn really well, but I wouldn't be able to keep that consistency with all my characters for the simple fact I'm not a cookie cutter artiest. (cookie cutter = copier)

I'll work on her clothes more. I spent a few days understanding my Photoshop elements more. I'm not use to the brushes or anything on it. I also found out that my proportions are much better when I use a tablet vs pencil and paper. As asked my art professor why that was, and he watched me do art and noticed I slant my scratchpad when I draw. If that's the reason why things looked way off I'm not sure. Either way it's just an excuse and I'm working to fix that problem.

I'm going back and redoing the charactors I have currently.

The rich girl design is done, but I still have to redo it, so I'll post it once it's completely redone. She may be last because I'm going to redo some of these characters first.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by JinzouTamashii »

You can offended if you want... I'll tell you some of what you need to hear if you want to improve, but if you don't want to listen, I will be more than happy to delete my posts in this thread and stop bothering you and you can learn at your own pace.

It actually takes a while to make the red drafts, and I would consider it a waste of my time too if you decided only to take the truth you wanted to hear but not what you needed. I am by no means perfect myself, but I think I have a good enough grasp to help people along. It's hard for me to find others to offer critique so sometimes I give what I wish someone would turn around and give me: good tips, hard concrete errors I can fix, and helpful solutions and guides on how to get better.

Don't think of it as "just this picture." If you don't want to redo this one, that's fine. But keep the tips in mind for "the next picture."

Sometimes, in the beginning, it's okay to use a reference. It's not okay to blatantly trace a reference, but even great painters painted from live models and from life. They were not "cheating." Nowadays, we can use photographs—I skirt that and use 3D to recreate the ideas I see in the photo or whatever inspires me because I'm already experienced in the medium and I know how to blend them seamlessly into CG and I don't have to feel bad about ripping someone off or whatever.

I don't have time left this morning to make a redline after I helped the other guy, so I'll do it this weekend for you instead. I'll try to do it in steps so you can see how to "build" the body and figure.

amenya

#24 Post by amenya »

still needs editing but closer to the design i'm going to have it as.

I agree don't go doing any red lines XD not on old art like that.
This is kinda still a rough idea. The denium brush I had doesn't look anything like denim genes makes me a little sad. I'll go back and do that part by hand because I really don't like it XD

Why do i always forget the eyebrows ><