Help me by answering some simple school-related question

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Catoni15

Re: Help me by answering some simple school-related question

#16 Post by Catoni15 »

If it were up to me? I wouldn't want to go back there. Hell, I'd be happier if I could just erase the whole lot of it. You know what? Erase high school and middle school years, while we're at it. I have too many regrets in both times to even know where to start. The only school-related fond memories I have were in elementary school. Everything went downhill after that. :/

Sorry that probably didn't help your story idea much. Heh. XP

But I'd like to add one more thing, just for the hell of it:

Maybe this character of yours cares about making a name for himself in high school, if he could go back and change it. But, you know something? Being somebody in high school doesn't really seem to matter in the future, does it? It seems more like a petty desire. Or--at most--a way to create fonder memories to replace the more miserable ones (which accomplishes, what? Making him happier, I guess?). Which may be his aim, I don't know. But, if I learned anything from high school, it's that people are petty, clique-y, selective, hurtful, etc. In other words the only really useful thing high school taught me is that people don't really care about anything (students AND teachers) and that they just generally suck. And, even though we mature, they still continue to suck. Just, you know, in more complex and tricky ways. We outgrow the childish ways we did things in high school and just seem to find more complex methods of hurting, excluding, and avoiding certain people.

I'm not sure if it's because this story idea is rubbing me the wrong way. It kind of just makes me think, "What the hell's the point?". Okay, yeah, you go back and change yourself in high school. It might have a positive impact on your future (like, for example, getting that one girl to like you and you guys actually get married as opposed to the other future where she married someone else and simply liked you as a friend--or not at all). That "ideal future with the marriage" is just ripe with its own problems. Maybe she turns out to be a skank later on. Maybe the marriage falls apart. Who knows. I mean, I know something can go wrong with ANY future. Nothing is perfect.

Hehe, sorry about the little "mini-rant". Like someone said, story's been done already. But I'm sure you'll put an interesting twist to it. If it were me, of course, it wouldn't be quite as...uplifting...as you have in mind for your own story, I'm sure. :lol:

Man, I felt like I just rambled. I woke up waaaay too early this morning. >>;;
The A² Review - reviewing amateur animated works

Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

#17 Post by Coatl »

Ren wrote:If I could go back in school, I'd be a yanki, befriend a lolita and head butt this one girl who bullied me all the time.
Maybe even try to develop a deep, sultry voice.

(copyright infringement alert)

GAH! I saw the movie based off that story.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#18 Post by Samu-kun »

Jake wrote:I'm sure that if you want to regale us with tales of your teenage years, people will happily listen, Samu. :P
What!? You've returned, Jake! When you said something about getting a girlfriend, I thought I'd never see your face on this board ever again!

But the fun stories will have to wait for another time. Right now, I have stuff to do. Maybe later...

Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

#19 Post by Coatl »

if i were to turn this into a story the fact that the character learns that he doesnt have to make a name for himself would be a great ending.
And yeah it's been done before but what hasnt been done before? lol
and in a way this character didnt event want to redo high school, he just wanted to have a reset button on life not just the firsr four years.
a lil moire backstory on the guy.
his name is Gerardo aka Aro.
In middle school he was considered a loser because being raised in an inner city enviorment forced him to stay at home all day so all he ever knew what was whatever was on tv so he was socially awkward.

in high school, he had his address faked so he can go to a hs in a suburban town. The only people from his middle school is his friend Andy who eventually breaks all time with him becuase they change over the years.s he grew he got causght in normal drama and ended up without any "good" friends and enrolled in a school where he's garenteed that no one from his old school would enroll.

College, being bashful-type he meets no friends, he feels lonely and so wishing life came with a reset button he finds himself reliving the the first days of school and on.

REDO-High School. Being the new kid comes with perks, no one knows you, so because he's in his 14 year old body with a 18 year old mind set and skill, he excells in class and he's considered one of the chillest and nicest guys to talk to. However, Andy is one of the few that notice something suspicious; "Aro never made a funny joke, he's never had this kind of attitude too. What was he doing this summer that made him so different. I cant even believe that even girls like him!"

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#20 Post by papillon »

If it were up to me? I wouldn't want to go back there. Hell, I'd be happier if I could just erase the whole lot of it.
Something like this.

I'm still not entirely over the trauma of high school. For years I dreamt miserable dreams about the place. I *still* dream about it, but now my recurring dreams have to do with me going "WTF, I don't care about you guys, I have a life now and you have no power over me."

I'd be willing to forget most of it happened. I definitely do NOT want to go back there. If I found myself in my own past I'd be seriously pissed off and trying to get back to reality. If that didn't seem workable I'd frantically try to contact the younger versions of my eventual partners to convince them I was from the future, so we could all work together towards a better life. I'd drop out of school, because I wouldn't need it and I couldn't be arsed to put up with all that again.

What would be the point of harassing my old enemies, or flirting with the girl I now know really was gay? It's not like I was actually in love with her, or any teenage crush. None of it matters.

The only thing that would be worth the effort of trying to change would be saving the life of the girl I knew who died young, or at least getting a chance to say goodbye.

Coatl
Regular

#21 Post by Coatl »

hahaha

I know what you mean.

To clear something up. I used those events as examples. In all seriousness while I'll confident that I can for sure have a better relationship with my crush, I'm not at that level where I'm obsessed with the idea.

As for the people that hate me, I actually would probably have a better relationship because I did some awkward as things as a high schooler so i learned from that experience enough to repeat it if a similar situation were to occur.

which btw if this ended up being a VN, would for sure be an optional thought to select that can trigger a totally different event.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#22 Post by Samu-kun »

Ah! I think I've remembered a story that's pretty funny and short enough not to be tl;dr.

I went to a pretty bizarre high school. I live in a small town that's pretty much built around a university, so just about everyone at my high school was very intelligent. Not only that, but my high school heavily encouraged the division of students into different groups based on academic performance, so even though there were about 1000 students enrolled, it was pretty much as if I only went to school with 50 people, since we were all put into the honors and advanced placement courses for every single subject.

Anyways, that's how it was for me. I made it into the most academically focused group mostly thanks to my excellent memorization skills when it comes to the social sciences and my writing abilities. However, I didn't really ever feel like I was a part of the rest of the group. In fact, I had only moved to the town right before I entered high school, while everyone else having lived together in a small town all their lives, already knew everything about each other. Also, I wasn't good at math, while all of my friends were mathematical and musical prodigies. (I realized that my friends were generally 3-9 years ahead of the level where my previous school district taught where math and music were concerned and gave up trying to catch up to them)

Heh, there was one guy who was my complete opposite who I absolutely hated. I was the mostly quiet guy who was good at reading books and memorizing historical figures - he was the loud mouthed genius math prodigy. He was quite possibly the most immature, childish, obnoxiously arrogant man that I had ever met in real life, and yet he possessed such unbelievable talent where numbers were concerned. I figure that I might have been envious of him. While I was pulling all nighters every other day to keep up with everyone else in physics and chemistry class, he managed to finish everything in 15 minutes on a piece of scrap paper and fooled around the rest of the time. He was a horrible waste of talent. He never put effort into anything he did and spent the majority of class time tormenting girls or shouting about how stupid people were. But then, somehow, miraculously, he always managed to beat me in math classes and had an absolute angel for his girlfriend. (The fact that they were going out was pretty much the shock of the school. He was considered the most abrasive man in the universe, while she was viewed as the softest woman on the planet. I guess she wanted to heal him? Hah... XD)

Anyways, I guess we were what you could call rivals. As a result of some horrible luck (I came in late to a chemistry class), he and I got paired as lab partners for an entire year. In general, it was terrible. He goofed off, did none of the work, and was generally being a fool. But then, I expected as much, so I tolerated it. But one day, he purposefully burned me during lab. I swear, I was just one muscle twitch away from punching that beetard flat in the face right then. But then, I guess I had too much to lose at that moment. The both of us were supposed to be the best in our respective fields and it would have been one hell of a drama if I slugged him to the ground in the middle of honors chemistry. I think he pretty much sensed that he had just crossed the line and was just seconds away from getting himself into serious shit too, so after about 10 seconds of awkward silence, he quietly went away and wrote up the lab report for a change.

What's the best is that a week later, his girlfriend made him apologize to me... XD

I still see him from time to time at university. A conversation I had with him a year ago

Me:
Him: Sam!
Me: I haven't seen you in awhile.
Him: Me neither. What are you studying?
Me: Political science
Him: That's exactly like you.
Me: What are you studying?
Him: Anthropology
Me: What the hell!? What made you take that~!?

No kidding.

Maybe he thought he needed a new direction in life? ._.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#23 Post by mugenjohncel »

Hmm... I don't know if this could prove useful to you but what the heck...

Me... I'm what most people would consider a classic bully back in high school. It was in high school I started using cigarettes. It was also in high school I started drinking alcohol. In high school, it was all about pride and ego. You mess with me or one of my "friends" we'll be waiting for you outside so you'd better be careful. Of course we also get the same treatment. I always keep iron knuckles in my right pocket for self the fence and always keep a spare one hidden in my socks in case my primary got confiscated or lost. Our favorite "Tambayan" (hangout) is the fire exit ladder. It was dark yet very well ventilated equipped with several electrical sockets... perfect for our portable Boom Box. We skip classes very often. Sometimes we'll attend half the classes and skip the rest while in some days we didn't even go to school and head straight for the Mall to play Street Fighter 2... we even brought change clothes with us. Flag Ceremony? Why bother... we'll just wait in our cool fire exit ladder while the rest of you idiots suffer under the hot sun.

PE time is very very special... one of our favorite pranks is to hide someone else's stuff. Sometimes I hide it in someone else's bag, sometimes in another room, sometimes in the trashcan and in one memorable occasion... we hide three bags belonging to a couple of dorks from another class inside the baggage compartment of a visiting school's bus. Of course we
(slightly) panicked when we saw the bus roll out of the school gate but oh what the fuck... nobody saw us did it anyway. We render ourselves immune to such attacks by only bringing bare necessities and making sure at least one of us is watching our stuff (we take turns).

My High school life is not complete without vandalism... and yes, we did some (notice how I use the word "we" very often?... I'm not alone doing this things) Let's see... 2 broken toilet seats in just one month. A couple of broken glass windows which didn't really matter since there are a couple windows broken anyway. We spit in doorknobs, window handles, stair handles, even on others seats... SPLAT! Oh yeah! That's what you get for being dumb bitch! Tap water is not quite drinkable in our high school. Back then, bottled water wasn't widely available so the next best option is to buy "ice-tubig" (cold water in plastic bag). So it's like this... we drink half and sometimes we piss in it and then we tightly knot and seal the remaining half almost to bursting point. Then we go either the rooftop or other high point and throw it randomly, preferably into a group of people for maximum damage... PEEEEEW!... all wet! BWAHAHAHAHA! We were only caught one and got slapped by a one week suspension! (Nope! No detention here!)

Of course karma got me... quite badly actually. Our group was a direct rival of another group in the west building. We merely throw insults most of the time until one of us (not me) got pissed and throw a punch (actually, if I recall it correctly, it was I who first called their attention and gave them a finger)... That was a good punch. The bastard was all bloody nosed.

It's a brawlfest. One of us will hold the other guy and we get turns in slapping punching the bastard while we were tearing up his uniform. Of course, I too got my fair share of blows (the one that landed in my chin made me bite my gum... feels bad)

It lasted for about 7 minutes until two security guards and a couple of Janitors rushed in and pin us down. At the "Guidance Center" the bastard who got his nose bleeding used it to his advantage to gain sympathy. We were slapped with a one-month suspension and had to attend "summer-classes" because of that. We on the other hand started to harass this guy in any way we could get (verbal taunts, slapping his younger brother once in a while, throwing insults and grave threats) but we were severely limited due to being on the constant watch of the guidance council. It was also during this time that my parents discovered me cutting classes. You see, whenever our class-in-charge wanted to summon our parents, we just hire some random guy to pose as our "legal guardian" for a mere Php200... I got busted after some dork from another class hired the same guy I hired several days ago.

Miraculously, after all that shit. I still graduated but we weren't allowed to attend the graduation ceremony (yes US and the rest of the trouble makers... all 25 including 6 of us) for fears we might retaliate or make a scene there (that's how much that wuss and the rest of the faculty was worried since there is an incident the past year with one student got stabbed).

Those were the days I really felt alive. Given the chance to go back to it... I know me... even at my age I still goof around so I'd probably behave the same way... maybe even worse.

Anyway,I'm still in touch with some of my friends.

Daren
I only recently spotted him during a printer expo. Apparently, he's an enemy now since he's working as a marketing manager for a rival company.

Rommel
I haven't seen him lately but last time we met at the Manila Hotel during the launching of A Fucoi... (secret)

Hmm... now that I recall it... he still owe me Php6500...

Alfredo
Numero Uno Best Friend, former neighbor. After High School, we both went together in college... until I was kicked out for something I didn't do. Migrated and currently freezing to death in Canada... idiot.

Melchor (a.k.a. Autoguard)
Currently running a nursing school in Makati. We still hang out once in a while and play SFIV.

Hope this proves useful

"POOF" (Disappears)

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#24 Post by Freelancer »

Coatl wrote: In middle school he was considered a loser because being raised in an inner city environment forced him to stay at home all day so all he ever knew what was whatever was on tv so he was socially awkward.

in high school, he had his address faked so he can go to a hs in a suburban town. The only people from his middle school is his friend Andy who eventually breaks all time with him because they change over the years.s he grew he got caught in normal drama and ended up without any "good" friends and enrolled in a school where he's guaranteed that no one from his old school would enroll.
... :shock:
I don't recall giving you permission to use my life story. I don't recall giving you my life story either.
:lol: I'm just kidding, Although that does sound eerily similar to my experience.
Being raised in the inner city, Learning social skills from TV (In my case, sitcoms from the early 90s)
Having my address faked so I can go to a suburban school 4 cities away.
and finally in my case joining the army so as to avoid dealing with anyone I knew.
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#25 Post by Samu-kun »

Ah fuck it, I cracked and ended up gushing about everything. If for some reason you want to read about what I would really want to change, then read my blog post. If not, then disregard this post.

http://samukun.wordpress.com/2010/01/13 ... ime-lived/

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#26 Post by LVUER »

If you could go back to past and try to fix your life (and actually do it)... are you sure things are going to be better... how if things actually got worse? And are you sure that you will be able to fix it? And not going to repeat the same mistake (human couldn't change that easily).

Like the movie "Butterfly Effect" where a man who try to fix his past multiple times, but only to find the future become worse (not actually worse, but better for some and worse for others, and ultimately it is MUCH worse only for him).

BTW, I do have things I REALLY want to fix... but it happens in my father era (I was still a baby at that time) and have nothing to do with high-school life. If anyone interested, I could rant about it here ^_^

Jake
Support Hero

#27 Post by Jake »

Samu-kun wrote: What!? You've returned, Jake! When you said something about getting a girlfriend, I thought I'd never see your face on this board ever again!
As an aside: my girlfriend and I have been together for over a year, and it's only been the last three or four months I've been too busy to loiter on the forum so much. I never went away, I just stopped reading everything.:P
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#28 Post by JinzouTamashii »

So did you find these useful to you, OP :?:
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Coatl
Regular

#29 Post by Coatl »

Samu-kun wrote:Ah fuck it, I cracked and ended up gushing about everything. If for some reason you want to read about what I would really want to change, then read my blog post. If not, then disregard this post.

http://samukun.wordpress.com/2010/01/13 ... ime-lived/
wow you confused me with Cybeat. lol

[quote="Freelancer... :shock:
I don't recall giving you permission to use my life story. I don't recall giving you my life story either.
:lol: I'm just kidding, Although that does sound eerily similar to my experience.
Being raised in the inner city, Learning social skills from TV (In my case, sitcoms from the early 90s)
Having my address faked so I can go to a suburban school 4 cities away.
and finally in my case joining the army so as to avoid dealing with anyone I knew.[/quote]

Yeah it's pretty good when you have similar histories with people because while two people can be totally different there experiences can help them relate.
JinzouTamashii wrote:So did you find these useful to you, OP :?:
yeah but I want to here more or at least a bunch of what ifs.

I like the consequence ones that can make an interesting twist for VNs.

Pyre Sieg
Projects: Untitled (2% progress)

#30 Post by Pyre Sieg »

Samu-kun wrote:Ah, is not high school sweet? =w=

I'm surprised more people haven't shared their gut wrenching tales of long lost loves and adolescent trysts. You know, the very stuff that we need romance visual novels to get us forget. Hufufufu... >:3
The first time I glanced at your post, I misread you said and thought you said these tales of lost loves/moments/whatnot would make a good romance visual novel. :lol: I reread it just in time, but I still say that this thread has enough material for a very interesting kind of high school romance story. Not that I could do it, but the ideas here would be interesting to see in a visual novel or a pick-your-own. ( I mean besides the original question the topic started with).
I'm not sure if it's because this story idea is rubbing me the wrong way. It kind of just makes me think, "What the hell's the point?". Okay, yeah, you go back and change yourself in high school. It might have a positive impact on your future (like, for example, getting that one girl to like you and you guys actually get married as opposed to the other future where she married someone else and simply liked you as a friend--or not at all). That "ideal future with the marriage" is just ripe with its own problems. Maybe she turns out to be a skank later on. Maybe the marriage falls apart. Who knows. I mean, I know something can go wrong with ANY future. Nothing is perfect.
Hearing this too, it reminds me so much of The Butterfly Effect. It's the exact same concept.

*ahem* back on topic, I guess I wished I was more confident, braver, bolder. Granted, I would've probably gotten into deep trouble this way, but then being a quiet goody-goody that disappears in the background isn't exactly fun. More so I would've wished I could stand up for myself more and moved out of country less. Then I might've had more longer-lasting friends and told those high-horse-riding teachers to stuff it. (Not to say all teachers are bad since I met some that were nice, interesting and became pretty good friends while they were there).