Writing about other character's memories

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

Writing about other character's memories

#1 Post by VenusEclipse »

You know that part in a story (in this case, our visual novels) where you dive into another character's memory or when they share their past with you? You will see images of that when you 'somehow enter their memory' or when they tell you their story. I see it happen often in anime, and well I haven't played that many VNs but I think it's awkward to see images/flashbacks of someone else's past, especially when the story is set in your point of view.

But without images, it might be "boring" to just hear them talk about it?

Well what do you think? Is it weird to see other people's images? "Do you buy it?"

Other than Fate Stay Night when ......
......Shirou saw Archer's memory when he was fighting him. I just assumed it was because they're the same person. I liked the effect but in the back of my mind, he just somehow saw his memory.
Most of the time, I'm not a huge fan of the main character (you) just happening to see another person's memory due to "magical" or whatever circumstances. It's too convenient for me. And heck I'd be freaked out if someone could do that to me in real life.

GAH! Stay out of my memories!!!

Other than that topic...writing "screams" is kind of tough. Other than the "AAAAAAAAAHHH!" without voice acting...how would you write it so it's not comical?

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: Writing about other character's memories

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

topic 1: Have the person (who is not the narrator) talk about the scene and use a few flashback images. Personally, that approach wouldn't seem weird to me. Alternatively, just switch narrators completely if the story's focus is going to shift to that other person for a while.

If you find it that awkward though, just use a shot of the sky :)

topic 2: Describe the scream. You don't even need to type in the actual sound.
Example: The pain was so unbearable that it wrenched a long, guttural scream from his lips.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Showsni »

Reminds me of a few jokes from The Simpsons:

Milhouse: The mall?
Bart: Yeah, it's just like my dad always says:
Homer (in a thought balloon): For an evening or a week, there's no place like the mall. Food, fun and fashion, the mall has it all!
Bart runs to the mall, leaving Milhouse behind.
Milhouse: What? What did he say?!

~Julia~
Regular

#4 Post by ~Julia~ »

Actually this occurance isn't as hard to overcome one you think of it in a new perspective. Clearly if you're writing a story and telling it in a 1st-person narritive then your lead character will be oblivious to thoughts of other characters, however this is not to say you can't allow the reader to be privy to these sequence. All you merely do is shift over the narritive from one character to another for a short period of time. Of course inform the reader that though patterns are being shifted and you should be good.

Concerning the screaming thing as lordcloudx meantion you can just describe them, however if it's being used in dialouge there's not really away from writing out "Arrrgh!" or "Gaaah" but I like writing it out n.n (then again I'm told I likt to act...). It's ALWAYS going to sound funny but just try to write what sounds right. Like alot of people write "Tch" but I alway put "Teh"
[UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

A Terrible Rabbit
Regular
Projects: Kyuuketsuki BonBon

#5 Post by A Terrible Rabbit »

What if you use images of the character who's viewpoint you're in imagining the flashback the other character is telling them? Could be good for building a strong character to see their personal interpretation. :3

uluuu
Regular
Projects: Half Past Never

#6 Post by uluuu »

I figured the POV character was visualizing what they were being told. Since its fictional, their imagination just happens to be ridiculously accurate.

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#7 Post by VenusEclipse »

lordcloudx wrote:topic 1: Have the person (who is not the narrator) talk about the scene and use a few flashback images. Personally, that approach wouldn't seem weird to me. Alternatively, just switch narrators completely if the story's focus is going to shift to that other person for a while.
~Julia~ wrote:All you merely do is shift over the narritive from one character to another for a short period of time.
Ah true that, it is the reader who sees them. I guess a change in narration isn't too uncommon if done right.
uluuu wrote:I figured the POV character was visualizing what they were being told. Since its fictional, their imagination just happens to be ridiculously accurate.
Yes, that is what I find weird. That's what struck me sinc main character can see them so vividly and accurately. But I guess it is fine. Translate this to real life and it'd be freaky. :D

Overall, I may just be too picky. Maybe I should just be looser on how "strict I write." -.-
Thanks guys.

PinkMagus

#8 Post by PinkMagus »

~Julia~ wrote:Actually this occurance isn't as hard to overcome one you think of it in a new perspective. Clearly if you're writing a story and telling it in a 1st-person narritive then your lead character will be oblivious to thoughts of other characters, however this is not to say you can't allow the reader to be privy to these sequence. All you merely do is shift over the narritive from one character to another for a short period of time. Of course inform the reader that though patterns are being shifted and you should be good.

Concerning the screaming thing as lordcloudx meantion you can just describe them, however if it's being used in dialouge there's not really away from writing out "Arrrgh!" or "Gaaah" but I like writing it out n.n (then again I'm told I likt to act...). It's ALWAYS going to sound funny but just try to write what sounds right. Like alot of people write "Tch" but I alway put "Teh"
The joys of the Onomonopia

Meems
Regular

#9 Post by Meems »

uluuu wrote:I figured the POV character was visualizing what they were being told. Since its fictional, their imagination just happens to be ridiculously accurate.
I always thought this too. Although, since we only see the POV characters' imagining of the scene, whose to say it IS ridiculously accurate? Maybe there was a guy in a clown suit there too, only the person telling the story forgot to mention it and so he didn't show up in the image. :p

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#10 Post by chronoluminaire »

Heh. Now we want a somewhat fourth-wall-breaking anime or VN to do that:

Code: Select all

MC: "Tell me about it."
NPC: "Well, it was back in old London town..."
scene london sepia
show clown at left
show bloke at centre
with flashbackwipething
NPC: "It was a perfectly normal day. I met this bloke..."
MC: "Wait, perfectly normal day? What about the clown?"
if renpy.random() > 0.5:
  NPC: "Huh? How did you know about the clown?!"
else:
  NPC: "Huh? What clown?"
  hide clown with dissolve
  MC: "Uhh... nothing..."
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#11 Post by VenusEclipse »

Hah. It'll be funky to see that clown incorporated in any sort of parody.