New Character designs up :) feedback?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Green Skies
Regular
Projects: Shoot The Moon (GXB Otome)
Organization: Green Skies

New Character designs up :) feedback?

#1 Post by Green Skies »

Thank you everybody who gave feedback on the last Green Skies post We took into consideration all the comments and critisms and did our best to improve our characters :D
It would we wonderful to get the same constructive critism on
DUN DA DARUN!!!! ROUND 2
...in case you missed the first post, these are characters for a short dating-sim game

mc: nerdy daughter of a rich CEO
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o212 ... 2girl2.jpg

spoiled fiance: supposedly the handsome character
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o212 ... g&newest=1

co-worker/childhoodfriend:supposedly the shota character
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o212 ... g&newest=1

surfer: N/A (um...GONE SURFING :wink: )

thank you! all feedback is much apreciated (i gave direct links instead of imgcodes in case you wanted to ZOOM up closer XD)
Current Project: Shoot the Moon // Devblog

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: New Character designs up :) feedback?

#2 Post by LVUER »

Ummm... I really think (and suggest) that you shouldn't make an entirely new thread for this. You could just post those images in the same thread. Not only you're making other users confused (there are already so much amount of new threads here), but you're also disconnecting any relation with your last thread (if I'm not purposely looking at your username, I will think that you are a different user).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Green Skies
Regular
Projects: Shoot The Moon (GXB Otome)
Organization: Green Skies

#3 Post by Green Skies »

LVUER wrote:Ummm... I really think (and suggest) that you shouldn't make an entirely new thread for this. You could just post those images in the same thread. Not only you're making other users confused (there are already so much amount of new threads here), but you're also disconnecting any relation with your last thread (if I'm not purposely looking at your username, I will think that you are a different user).
i posted the link on the last one to this one...thank you for your concern but i purposely made a new thread as to get critique of both sets of art
and setting up 2 sets of art on one thread seemed like overkill..(and then 3 and 4), but I will take that into consideration for furthur drafts

ah as an edit...i meant that it would be "overkill"
round 1: this is what i think
round 2: this what i think
round 3: this is what i think
...all in the same post would be very confusing for me! but I understand that people do not want individual posts for each update, and will continue on this one :)
Thank you! Did you have any feed back on the changes made?
Last edited by Green Skies on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project: Shoot the Moon // Devblog

fortaat
Regular

#4 Post by fortaat »

Green Skies wrote:i posted the link on the last one to this one...thank you for your concern but i purposely made a new thread as to get critique of both sets of art
and setting up 2 sets of art on one thread seemed like overkill..(and then 3 and 4), but I will take that into consideration for furthur drafts
So posting two sets on one thread seemed like an overkill, but creating 4 different threads for the same characters doesn't sound like an overkill?
I agree with LVUER.

To more pleasent matters:

* I like her new shirt better, possibly because she now has an even number of tits.
* Her hands scream "I'm too amateur to draw hands!". It's a common mistake of amateurs to hide the hands, sometimes without intention, but mostly due to a lack of skills. Trust me, it's better to have ugly hands, than put her in a very unnatural pose. More importantly, it will help you practice drawing hands.

* The shadows are weird.You should decide where the light comes from, and paint accordingly.

* I liked her... oh, wait
* Make her a dude.
* The contrast between the illuminated parts and the shadows is exaggerated. Reduce it, and maybe try more than two colors per layer of clothing/skin.
* Her right hand is badly off-y posed. Try to hold a filled cup yourself, and draw accordingly.

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#5 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

I agree with the two above, the new thread was unnecessary, especially because placing the old and new sketches together would be beneficial for comparison.

- - - - - -

Sketch 1 - I don't think her glasses look realistic. Glasses are usually rounded on the sides, even the boxier ones. I've never seen glasses that were so square either. Make them thinner. Reference various meganeko for more ideas: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Meganekko .:. Her expression and pose seem much more confident than the last sketch. I don't know if that's what you want for the character, but if she's an introverted nerd-type, I don't think these things are helping.

Sketch 2 - The arms are much too short. Generally, your elbows extend around to your hips. The way he's holding his arms is also awkward, an awkward pose. A ribbon tie is usually only used when the collar is completely buttoned up. As it is here, he looks like he's just wearing a ribbon. Generally, a vest is meant to hug the torso more tightly, accentuating the way a man's torso tapers in from his shoulders to his hips in an upside-down triangle shape.

Sketch 3 - His arms are also too short and his pose is also awkward. The arm holding the coffeecup should be at his side with the elbow meeting the hip and the forearm is foreshortened as it angles toward the viewer. The hand will be at least partially hidden by the cup (which will save you having to draw fingers). Grab a coffeecup and stand in front of the mirror. Look at how you naturally hold it. What I said will become more evident when you see it with your own eyes.

Additionally, the folds on their clothes are all in wrong places and makes their clothing look exceptionally ill-fitted and/or not properly made.

- - - - - -

They are improved from the first batch though. I think that the two things you really need to do to improve them exponentially is merely to look at the anatomy of your males and study how clothes drape a figure's body.

If you are 18 or older, you can simply go to deviantart and follow these subsections: Resources and Stock Images > Model > Male > Nude > Formal, Classical. You'll see plenty of examples of what I'm talking about in regards to a male's physical build such as how long the arm should be, where the elbow is in regard to the hips, how the torso tapers from shoulder to hips, and much more.

I know it may seem pointless to study real anatomy when drawing anime, but anime is fundamentally taking the real anatomy and abstracting it into the form you want. To do that, you need to understand how actual anatomy works, or your anime will never look quite right.

As for the clothing, study the natural folds in your own clothing or look at artists and study where they draw those folds. At this point, many of the folds you have drawn look as though they've been placed there because you wanted to show the clothes draping naturally, but didn't take careful consideration to where you placed those folds. Personally, I learned from studying the art of Arina Tanemura: http://gallery.aethereality.net/list/artist/18/

I hope you find this advice useful
Live Life Heroically

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#6 Post by Chansel »

Alright, here are my two cents :) It's mostly about the designs instead of the anatomy. I think that's been covered by those who came before me ;)

Rich CEO daughter:
At a first glance, I have to say that I like the way you drew her face. She looks like a rather confident person who knows what she's doing and gets what she wants. However, since you described her as a nerdy person, I suggest changing her pose. You also said she was the daughter of a wealthy CEO. Now, this is something I definitely don't see. I mean, you'd expect a rich person to wear well-made and expensive clothes. To me, her shirt doesn't look the part. It looks more like either a sleep shirt or something she picked up at a flee market (no offence). It's probably because to my eyes, it looks like it's simply to big for her. The sleeves are way to wide and it's falling of her shoulders. Now I understand that you're going for the 'loose fitting' shirt, but to me it just looks like a too big and cheep shirt. Now, at the risk of being extremely annoying, I suggest also changing the hair slightly. It's rather messy and sticking out at all places, suggesting that she doesn't have a very decent haircut. Something I think most rich CEO daughters would have. And lastly, she's very VERY pale. Just try googling some random anime pictures if you need examples of skin color. Here's one I like to use when deciding on what skin tones to use: (small warning: they're wearing underwear *gasp*) http://www.profilethai.com/wallpaper/or ... ime_19.jpg

Handsome character:
Again, I really like how you drew his face :) You’re good at that! Don't have much to say here besides one small thing: the tie appears to be floating there. I mean, is it just duck taped on there or something? It could use some straps that go around his neck ;)

Shota character:
He's a shota if ever I've seen one ;) Small thing: Most aprons have to be tied around the waist as well as around the neck. Makes sense too, otherwise it would hang in the way whenever the one wearing it leans forward.
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim