Is this a good way to improve drawing on tablet?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Nanashiko
Regular

Is this a good way to improve drawing on tablet?

#1 Post by Nanashiko »

Hey guys I was kind of looking for some more tips on drawing with my tablet. As well as wondering something that I took note of when I draw and if I could get some feedback for my curiosity here. So I find that I can't really draw as well using my tablet being I am not very used to well drawing with it. I haven't even had it for a year. So even the stuff I have improved a lot in usually end up looking quite bad. What I noticed is that if I scan a drawing and then draw over it, my drawings turn out a lot better. I was wondering if this was good practice for improving on tablet or no? I kind of feel like it is though I kind of worry I will just get used to relying too much on scanning a drawing in ^^;

Also if you have any additional tips that would be helpful please post them!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Is this a good way to improve drawing on tablet?

#2 Post by LVUER »

I never really do that, since after I have a tablet I just draw them all digitally. When I still using mouse though, I scan my picture.

My advice though, it doesn't matter how much you draw in a time, but what matter most is how often and how consistent you draw. When I'm not drawing for even just one day, I feel my hand a little bit stiff. Now imagine if we haven't draw at all for a year?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#3 Post by Deji »

Nanashiko wrote: What I noticed is that if I scan a drawing and then draw over it, my drawings turn out a lot better. I was wondering if this was good practice for improving on tablet or no? I kind of feel like it is though I kind of worry I will just get used to relying too much on scanning a drawing in ^^;
That's pretty much digital inking :P And yes, I think it could help you loosen up your hand with the tablet.

The only advice I can give you is to draw and sketch with the tablet as much as you can until your hand/eye coordination becomes optimal.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#4 Post by Samu-kun »

Sketching out on paper with pencil, scanning, then finishing digitally with a tablet is pretty much the only way I work. I admit, it's a bother scanning stuff, but I get the best art quality that way.

IceD
Veteran

#5 Post by IceD »

As Deji said - scanning stuff and then making it into digital cg is a good way to go. Many of my friends who are into computer art began like that, and that also includes me :) . I bet you had quite a long brake - you propably need to stretch your fingers a lil' bit. just draw a lot, scan a lot and use the tablet. Don't try to make smooth lines and draw slowly, rather focus on drawing fast as good while making the lines look as decent as you can. The more you'll excersise the more proficiency you will gain. Also, it is good to make a 5min excresise before you start drawing proper stuff - draw circles, sqares, triangles and lines - it helps a lot, and you will slowly see improvements. Just don't stop :)

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#6 Post by pkt »

I scan my art in a lot. The tablet is faster than the mouse for me but less accurate. All in all the scan method let's you get things to the pc in decent quality. Start a new layer trace and go from there. Do what they say. Also after a while your normal penciling skills will start to show through with your tablet stuff. Keep practicing both ways to get the full effect of hand muscle training and skill balancing.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

Nanashiko
Regular

#7 Post by Nanashiko »

All right thank you all for your advice :3 I will probably continue scanning in and drawing (and when I can scan har har! I start college august and I am living on campus so I wont have a scanner anymore! Blarg) at least till I get more comfortable. Also thanks for the additional tips I shall take notes and use them to help improve in the future~

dstarsboy
Veteran

#8 Post by dstarsboy »

For some reason, I can't sketch on paper correctly, my images become distorted... probably because I'm looking at my paper at an angle from where I'm sitting. I seem to have better proportions by sketching digitally.

My suggestions, when sketching, use a light blue color with a medium depth brush and do very quick, small, loose strokes. Don't care about messing up. When inking, do hard, long, clean strokes. Try to keep the lines thick around the outside of an object and thin on the inside. If you have to ink a weird long curve, try doing it in small pieces or using the pen path tool.

Don't be afraid to USE THE TOOLS. Like the line tool for straight lines and the selection tool to grab an area and stretch/resize it if you drew it wrong initially. There's no shame in that.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus