Simple Music Maker?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

Simple Music Maker?

#1 Post by LinWest »

I've looked around newgrounds and a couple of other freesource websites and haven't found the right kind of background music for one of my projects. I'm looking to make a simple child-like xylophone/piano/tinkering kind of melody thats on the creepy side and maybe just some mood ambiance.

Even a midi maker might work if I can layer different tracks. I just don't know what the best to use since I've never tried to make music before, so any directions to a good music maker that'll work on a mac would be much appreciated.
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

umemi

Re: Simple Music Maker?

#2 Post by umemi »

I'm using AriaMaestosa and GarageBand (because I only barely know what I'm doing when it comes to music). Aria's a midi tracker/editor in which I compose in, then I import the files into GarageBand, pick an instrument sample for the track, and save the song in mp3 form. This... may not make much sense in words, but I can make a visual guide if you want.

Skibadee

#3 Post by Skibadee »

http://www.jamstudio.com/Studio/index.htm

Easy to use site for creating simple tunes.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Wha? Garageband is all you need, one of the biggest reasons I don't regret having an (expensive) mac. It takes care of midi input, editing, sample looping, mixing, normalizing, and exporting in one application. You don't need any other program except to convert .aif to .ogg (I use Audacity for that).

When I was stuck with PC I had to use Anvil Studio for the midi arrangement, Synthfont for the instruments editing and mixing.

Garageband has some capability to tweak the instrument properties even (foregoing the need for dedicated VST/effects programs). No wonder it's in top 10 Mac Apps that you can't find an equivalent in Windows.

Where to get it? It's already installed on your computer!

Lekhaka
Regular

#5 Post by Lekhaka »

I don't know if it's simple...but Cubase?

LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

#6 Post by LinWest »

Aaaah, and here I thought all this time garageband was for recording with real instruments not computer generated sounds. Time to hit the tutorials!

Jam studio is really useful for simple chords, thanks for that! Aria helpful too since I'm classical trained. Thanks guys.
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on: