Sai's Background Workshop

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Sailerius
Regular
Completed: Vacant Sky, The Vestibule, Ars Harmonia
Organization: Project BC

Sai's Background Workshop

#1 Post by Sailerius »

So, I'm working on learning 3D modeling to produce backgrounds for a game I'm working on. Follow my progress here and offer suggestions, if you care to. Always looking for feedback!

My first attempt. It was originally meant to be a bus, but it looks more like a train. I'm pleased with how the lighting turned out.

Ren

Re: Sai's Background Workshop

#2 Post by Ren »

My first suggestion would be to look for references. The environment you drew looks way too spacious for both a train or a bus. Plus, the pole is put in a very weird position and is so thick I'd expect people to have trouble holding it for long.
I'd also say the texture on the windows makes them look as if someone painted them outside (with the same image, too). Was your intention to make it look like as if the weather outside was so cold that the air condensed on them?
The shapes of the seats are somehow too simple, they kind of look like a toy, rather than real or stylised seats.

The light to me looks a bit too defined... perhaps there's a way to blur it a little, so that it doesn't cast such sharp shadows?

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#3 Post by Blue Sky »

The shape of the windows isn't right. No train window is going to be square with a big window pane around it.

I'd suggest looking at old train references online. There are bound to be several of them. However, the actual modeling looks good. Just keep trying. :)

Sailerius
Regular

#4 Post by Sailerius »

I gave it a second shot, trying to fill more space. I also adjusted the lighting/shadow type, as well as some textures.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#5 Post by Counter Arts »

Think about how a car is 3 seats wide and a bus is 5 seats wide... no spaces. In the picture you have space, seat, space, 3 seats, space, seat. It looks like the bus would take up two lanes.

Edit: Sorry... that's the side of the train right? Then having 3 seats going along the width of the train would be too much in the trains I've seen (in Toronto and Japan). The 3rd seat would block the middle part of the train.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#6 Post by cloudyssky »

Even with your second shot you still need to look at references more closely. Yes all the little nit-bit features and lighting is nice, but the design is simply weird. No form of any transportation would put seats like that; they're too far spread out and the three seats put together kind of make it awkward for the seats in the back.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#7 Post by Samu-kun »

References, you say? Samu to the rescue!
Attachments
P1000644.JPG
P1000643.JPG
110_4046.JPG

Sailerius
Regular

#8 Post by Sailerius »

Got a third try. I feel this one is a lot more accurate as far as details go but I really, really don't like what happened with the lighting. Still tweaking it...

EDIT: Here it is from another camera angle. I like this one better.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#9 Post by kinougames »

I'm not really great at judging 3-D stuff, but...please paint over this carefully with 2-D. The biggest problem with using fast backgrounds in 3-D and then putting them in VNs is that more often than not, parts still look 3-D and they look completely odd with the normally vectored, high saturation sprites on top. I always get this very huge sense of the old meme "my hed is pastede on yey".
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

Sailerius
Regular

#10 Post by Sailerius »

kinougames wrote:I'm not really great at judging 3-D stuff, but...please paint over this carefully with 2-D. The biggest problem with using fast backgrounds in 3-D and then putting them in VNs is that more often than not, parts still look 3-D and they look completely odd with the normally vectored, high saturation sprites on top. I always get this very huge sense of the old meme "my hed is pastede on yey".
Is 3D really so out of place when many visual novels use photos as backgrounds?

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#11 Post by Blue Sky »

Well, I think if this were used as a background, you would need to make the camera have a larger scope of the room, that way the sprites won't look smaller than the chairs.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Wintermoon »

Sailerius wrote:Is 3D really so out of place when many visual novels use photos as backgrounds?
In a word: yes. At least with 3D in the style you are using. A style that makes heavy use of hand-drawn 2D texture maps would blend in better with hand-drawn 2D sprites.

fortaat
Regular

#13 Post by fortaat »

I began writing a detailed response yesterday, but eventually Kinougames and Wintermoon summerized what I wanted to say.
In short:

If you want to learn 3D and use VNs to motivate yourself, than ignore us and keep learning. If you want quick results, draw the backgrounds by hand.

ashewalton

#14 Post by ashewalton »

Samu-kun wrote:References, you say? Samu to the rescue!
I really like the first image, do you think I could use it for my visual novel? I'm not sure if they were taken by yourself or internet stock, so I thought it would be best to ask permission first (:

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#15 Post by Samu-kun »

The photos were taken by me and yes, you may use them for all non-commercial purposes.

(shameless self promotion: more photos available here)