Nice and shiny!

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
NinaSG

Nice and shiny!

#1 Post by NinaSG »

I haven't posted in much too long. I decided to put my programming on the backburner and knock out some of the art. Of course it took me all of one day to get my female characters sketched and outlined....then two weeks for the four males. Le sigh, but now that that's over with, I'm working on backgrounds. I found a lot of tutorials for adding textures but none for from-scratch work, so it took me a while just to get the hang of that but no worries!

This is the first background that's "finished." It hasn't been shaded for lighting but what the who. The game is supposed to have a gothic style. Here is the poetry bar the character can go to, along with the special booth he/she gets for having an "in."
Attachments
Night Cafe.jpg

FeatherThief
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through

Re: Nice and shiny!

#2 Post by FeatherThief »

Remember, don't make the background overly detailed and complicated, it can draw away from the characters and the text. Remember to have an equal balance and sometimes simple and plain backgrounds are better then overly fanciful ones.

~ Sincerely, Feather Thief
I will steal your dreams and make them real.

Projects: 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (In progress)
Chief and Head Writer

FunkyRaspberry
Completed: Mechs vs Dragons (awesome RPGmakerXP game, in a silly fashion)
Projects: Tower Defense (unnamed), Galge (unnamed)

Re: Nice and shiny!

#3 Post by FunkyRaspberry »

Depending on what style you want your game to be in, don't be afraid of using different techniques. When I want something rather simple but yet rather realistic - I take snapshots of what kind of scenario I want, then I edit a few major details in photoshop and end everything by putting on the Cutout filter.

ofc this only works for one certain look or two, but if you want your background to merely be just a background and nothing noticable. Be sure to blur out the contrasts. Add an overlay of a bright/dark color or something.

Though, I have no idea why I'm handing out some sort of lecture right now, I like your style and you should keep it up :P You're way better than me at these kinds of backgrounds. It looks really good all in all ^^