Beginning writer/programmer/musician looking for advice

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
sn0w255
Regular

Beginning writer/programmer/musician looking for advice

#1 Post by sn0w255 »

I want to get on the visual novel bandwagon. I'll do anything that I can.

I've thrown around some ideas about writing a script of my own, but it's never cohesive/decent/whatever. It's not that I don't have anything to write about - in the past six months my parents have divorced, and I have dated (and broken up with) my first girlfriend.

Before...the past six months, I've made many, many attempts to try to write a visual novel with zero success. I was thinking something might change with my new experiences, but it seems I just don't have what it takes as a writer.

So~.....I'm at a standstill.
I want to contribute something to this community- that's my goal. I'm already over my parents and my girlfriend (perhaps why I can't write about them very well?). I'm not trying to write because I want revenge or peace of heart or anything like that. I'm simply interested by all of the other people here creating visual novels, and I want to be a part of the process somehow.

So I'm a terrible writer, a terrible musician, and a terrible artist, mostly due to lack of creativity, although writing>music-creating-skills>artist skills (I can't draw for my life, and don't plan on trying).

I'd like to try to do one of a few things:
-Become better at writing, and write for myself, or be an assistant writer for someone else.
-Learn python (I'm used to C/C++/Java, personally) and program for someone else. (I can do this pretty easily on my own if necessary; there's no need for assistance, really.)
-Make use of my piano PLAYING skills to PERFORM music that someone else has written for use in a Visual Novel. (I've played the piano for 11 years. I'm pretty good at it, period. Don't need advice on how to for this one, either)
-Learn how to create music.

So my question is: What (in your opinion) is the best path to go down, and any advice on going about it?

Again, I'm most interested in CONTRIBUTING (whether that be my own writing as the basis for my own novel or contributing something like music or programming to another's). So if you're interested in using me for some reason (probably piano performance, since that's the only real skill I already have developed), you're free to ask that here as well.

Thanks for reading my long wall of text/doom! ^.^"

UPDATE:
I've uploaded several youtube videos of myself playing the piano, as well as dug up some old links from way, way back.
Older videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18bAeHVBamA (From 3-5 years ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHaVFiQYIlE (From 1 year ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxM6gqUj8jc (From 1 year ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC3JA6vxuMU (From 1 year ago)

All new videos can be found on my youtube account here:
http://www.youtube.com/sn0w75
Last edited by sn0w255 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

shatteredfox
Regular
Projects: Winter Blue Bells. (3%) // A Mirror of Life(20%)

Re: Beginning writer/programmer/musician looking for advice

#2 Post by shatteredfox »

sn0w255 wrote:I want to get on the visual novel bandwagon. I'll do anything that I can.

I've thrown around some ideas about writing a script of my own, but it's never cohesive/decent/whatever. It's not that I don't have anything to write about - in the past six months my parents have divorced, and I have dated (and broken up with) my first girlfriend.
Sorry to hear that :(. I still remember my first break up, but time moves on and it gives you experience and lessons that will be invaluable later in life.
Before...the past six months, I've made many, many attempts to try to write a visual novel with zero success. I was thinking something might change with my new experiences, but it seems I just don't have what it takes as a writer.
That is not true anybody can become a writer, of course some people are born geniuses that can probably do in days what takes you months. However it's the work put in that decides who comes out on top.

So~.....I'm at a standstill.
I want to contribute something to this community- that's my goal. I'm already over my parents and my girlfriend (perhaps why I can't write about them very well?). I'm not trying to write because I want revenge or peace of heart or anything like that. I'm simply interested by all of the other people here creating visual novels, and I want to be a part of the process somehow.

So I'm a terrible writer, a terrible musician, and a terrible artist, mostly due to lack of creativity, although writing>music-creating-skills>artist skills (I can't draw for my life, and don't plan on trying).
you and me both, this community has been nothing but cool, helpful, kind, and interesting people and so many people helped me with my random assortments of troubles and I want to give back as well! It's probably why I replied, I want to help when I can and I feel like I can relate.

I'd like to try to do one of a few things:
4. Learn how to create music. (Kind of my last bailout option)
I cannot in the slightest help you in the 2nd and 3rd problem, and I'm also a terrible writer. However I would hope to believe I a good music producer so I will try to help.
So my question is: What (in your opinion) is the best path to go down, and any advice on going about it?

Again, I'm most interested in CONTRIBUTING (whether that be my own writing as the basis for my own novel or contributing something like music or programming to another's). So if you're interested in using me for some reason (probably piano performance, since that's the only real skill I already have developed), you're free to ask that here as well.
Well do you have any skills in music composition, music theory, or remixing/remastering? If so there are many people that would love to have you on your team because AFAIK most people use stock sounds and music they find online and it's a warm feeling if you can tell someone who played your game. "Yeah a guy on our team made that song." or if you have composition and remixing/remastering skills, "High quality audio remastered by our team." and "composition by" etc.. you get the point.

If not there's two options, since you do have 11 years in piano learning theory and the sorts won't be hard but rather just take up some time and would benefit you even if you don't get drawn into the VN community (but you probably will :D)

The second would simply find someone who can compose or join a team with a coordinator that has some semblance of knowing what he's doing. Either that just keep creating short stories and trying your best. There are people who would gladly read AND help with your writing. I am not a great writer as I said but I had someone PM a few times earlier and she helped me through my grammar and I thank her so much. On top of that just writing in general will make you a better writer, ESPECIALLY if you proof read.

It's something I used to not do, and I still don't do it(I need to make it a habit). Everytime you read your paper you'll find something new even if you don't get all the mistakes.

You will probably realize that when reading back a certain sentence, it sounds weird, doesn't make sense, typos, you can build on it, it's built too much and as you fix problems you tend to automatically fix them later. It is how I'm building my VN, I am doing a bunch of random programming I see people do in their games, FAQs, Resources, and if something messes up I try to solve it or seek help. Now I will most likely not have that same problem again and I learned something new.

I'm going off on a tangent here so I'm going to stop. (Another thing is reading OTHER short stories. Short stories are well short and easy to reread so you can see how people write and if you want[if you do not like your vocabulary]; finds words you like, sounds cool, you don't know, and so on. It does help.
Thanks for reading my long wall of text/doom! ^.^"
I write long walls too :P, thank you for reading my post that dissected your wall :{ I'm sowwy I wanted to see the inside.

Also I would most likely ask if you want to do music with me and my friend for a novel we're making, however; Other than concept of the game's story/character's/plot/events/conclusion. We currently have NOTHING and the concept's not even fully done (I would say about 35%). If we have more progress and this plane looks like it can fly I will completely contact you.

sn0w255
Regular

#3 Post by sn0w255 »

Well, I have (a ton of) experience in music theory, but not really in remixing or composition. My composition has been limited to making small little 5-second tunes on the piano; I have zero remixing experience. I might be willing to learn, if the tools you use are available in linux (or there are viable replacements in linux).

So yeah, feel free to contact me if it goes well.

shatteredfox
Regular

#4 Post by shatteredfox »

I'm not a linux person so I wouldn't know but I found http://lmms.sourceforge.net/ <- which is in the vein of FL studios pretty much. Any program that can run FX and VSTs are fine because that is where the remastering/remixing come into play (others might have their own way).

you'll unfortunately have to find your own VSTs and FX be it legal or not. You can find tons of good FX and VST that are either cheap or free however so don't worry much.

sn0w255
Regular

#5 Post by sn0w255 »

shatteredfox wrote:I'm not a linux person so I wouldn't know but I found http://lmms.sourceforge.net/ <- which is in the vein of FL studios pretty much. Any program that can run FX and VSTs are fine because that is where the remastering/remixing come into play (others might have their own way).

you'll unfortunately have to find your own VSTs and FX be it legal or not. You can find tons of good FX and VST that are either cheap or free however so don't worry much.
Hm...
Well, I think there's also Ardour (http://www.ardour.org/). But it's a very professional piece of software, and is actually kind of hard to figure out (at least for me). At any rate, I have some minor experience toying around with both it and lmms.

...If I had to go to Windows, then I happen to have Cubase 5. But I've never been able to use it either, since I have zero creativity/ could never learn how to use it well enough. (Yes, that's a $400 piece of software going down the drain.)

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#6 Post by killdream »

sn0w255 wrote:I'd like to try to do one of a few things:
1. Become better at writing, and write for myself, or be an assistant writer for someone else.
2. Learn python (I'm used to C/C++/Java, personally) and program for someone else. (I can do this pretty easily on my own if necessary; there's no need for assistance, really.)
3. Make use of my piano PLAYING skills to PERFORM music that someone else has written for use in a Visual Novel. (I've played the piano for 11 years. I'm pretty good at it, period. Don't need advice on how to for this one, either)
4. Learn how to create music. (Kind of my last bailout option)

'ello thar.

Well, we're developing a yuri visual novel (more like a dating sim, actually) and looking for a musician (we currently have one) :3

If you'd like to pitch in as a programmer too, we're doing a fair share of Python: tools, prototypes for ideas and the actual date sim framework. So, I think that's a good way of boosting your skills in Python (nothing better to learn programming than writing some actual code, rite?)

Anyways, we have a forum for discussion/applications here: http://whitegoddess.forumsmaroc.com/; And an IRC channel on: #gow@irc.rizon.net, so if you're interested, just stop by and say hello :3

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#7 Post by yummy »

I hope my little experience in composing would be of help. To be true, I have only a little academic music education, so I wouldn't want to even be called a musician, but rather an amateur.

When I compose music, I only do it in two ways (or three?).
The first one only works when I'm in a sort of "working trance". It's a special state of mind when my brain is not inactive but neither overactive.
You can reach this state easily when you're doing an activity that requires some attention, but not a lot of attention, something repetitive that makes your brain work a little so that you reach a kind of "calm tension". For example, I easily reach this state while playing rumikcube, doing the washing up, play a simple platform game... It's a state that boosts creativity (at least for me). In that state, I can think plots, design and in the case that comes to our interest, compose music.
That way, whan I'm in front of my computer, I use any virtual instrument software and begin to lay several random melodies that don't sound too awful.
Than I begin to select the parts that fall into the mood that is the most used and mend it altogether.
It becomes something like natural composing, like jazz improvisation. Sometimes it's merry, sometimes it's sad, sometimes it's dreamy. Just like you write a poem (most of the tunes I compose are this way I think).

The second way is purely technical. I first lay a rythm using either a rythm box or a rythm that goes along the style I'm aiming to (pop, rock, metal, techno, trance...).
Then I select a few instruments and begin to lay melodies that echo and respond to each other.
Finally I wrap everything up and test several improvements, new phrases and then it's finished.

When you have a theme for your music, everything is much much easier. You know a little where you'll put a tension, a pause, a solo, a preloop...
Something to remember is to always introduce instruments at different times according to the music style. If it's a dramatical music, you might introduce them very quickly, if it's a ballad, you tend to include them from the piano to the strings, if it's a cosy song, you have several choices, ranging from slow pop (aka elevator or supermarket music) to progressive tunes...

Generally I tend to respect a division in the movements, with a multiple of four mesures to twelve (erm difficult to explain this side). Sometimes I also go for the golden ratio (like the ones used in mario, tetris or zelda music).
But most of the time I don't really care at all! It's not obligatory.

There's also the notion of major and minor chords. Most of them don't go well altogether. I think that I became sensible to this because one day someone told me I sang terribly bad ^^
Most minor chords are mainly used for dramatic and tearful tunes. They are also used in transitions from a verse to a chorus.
Major chords are for energetic and strong parts.
There are also rythmics, like 4 beats, 8 beats...

Argh there are too much to tell and I don't know if all I'm writing is useful at all.

sn0w255
Regular

#8 Post by sn0w255 »

Well, we're developing a yuri visual novel (more like a dating sim, actually) and looking for a musician (we currently have one) :3
If you'd like to pitch in as a programmer too, we're doing a fair share of Python: tools, prototypes for ideas and the actual date sim framework. So, I think that's a good way of boosting your skills in Python (nothing better to learn programming than writing some actual code, rite?)
Will consider.
Argh there are too much to tell and I don't know if all I'm writing is useful at all.
Nono, that's very useful advice if I choose to produce music after all of this. ^.^

Ok, so it looks like at this point that most people think that I should head down the path of performing/creating music. I can agree fairly easily; Not many people need programming help due to the existence of renpy unless they need to script something together for a dating sim or the like. And writing is kind of the primary role in the creation of a visual novel, and it's probably best for me to start out on a more assistive role.

I'm going to upload some old piano videos later to show my performance ability. As to creating music, I'm setting up Ardour/Jack right now along with LMMS as a secondary tool. I have Cubase if I have to use it in the end. But I'll need help in that department, as I have little experience.

LordShiranai
Regular
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest

#9 Post by LordShiranai »

As far as jumping from C, C++, or Java to Python goes, you'll probably be fine. If you are reasonably experienced with using C++ or Java, then you should be able to quickly pick up Python just by reviewing example code and the documentation at python.org. I find Python to be similar in difficulty to Java (in other words, easier than C or C++). The syntax is different, but for the most part is fairly easy to pick up. The biggest paradigm shift you're likely to take notice of, as opposed to Java, is that Python is a weakly typed language. This can lead to errors that are normally caught during compile time in stronger typed languages. (On the flip side, it makes duck typing super easy.)
Don't Blame Me. I Voted for Vermin Supreme.

sn0w255
Regular

#10 Post by sn0w255 »

Yeah, that's what I figured. So if I need to do that for some occasion, it shouldn't be too hard.

sn0w255
Regular

#11 Post by sn0w255 »

Sorry to double post, but:
Since I'm probably going to be recording myself playing the piano (or maybe the clarinet, since I have 6-7 years of playing that as well), does anyone have a good suggestion for a mic or whatever for recording? (I add 'whatever' in there because I'm thinking I might want USB/Firewire input for my mic, depending on how decent my sound card is? ^.^' Although I don't have much experience in the sound department as far as computers go.)

shatteredfox
Regular

#12 Post by shatteredfox »

Clarinet :3. (big fan of the Bb instruments and plays most of them. Clarinet, Soprano, Tenor) I would love to hear your clarinet playing.

As for mics umm..I'm not good with those either but I would say look it up on Google if not recording to video camera first would help since most cameras have really good quality built in.

sn0w255
Regular

#13 Post by sn0w255 »

Hm...Well, if you listen to my more recent videos with my fancy HD Camera, the sound quality in comparison is rather average, I think. What do you think? (Just listen to any video off http://www.youtube.com/sn0w75)

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#14 Post by pkt »

http://www.vstplanet.com/
I use that for my VST instruments...
http://www.drpetter.se/project_musagi.html
And I use Musagi for my beats.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pkthundaga?feature=mhum
My youtube channel has some samples of what it can do together.

As for Python, example code will make it so easy. I came from barely learning c++ to being able to do what I want with python pretty fast.

And Over on Shiranai's team, We'd love to have you. We have plenty of ideas that could use tweaking. I have some that only need a dialogue writer since the plot is worked out already.

Yeah you can learn writing easily if you work in layers. As in start form a base idea and keep adding more and more til it makes sense. And from there rework it in drafts until it's done. Start small though for your first time.

Remember to look at the source code for the renpy demo game and "the_question" as it'll take you a long way.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

sn0w255
Regular

#15 Post by sn0w255 »

Well, if it's renpy python, yes, that's pretty dang easy, definitely. I'm pretty used to it after playing around for awhile. :P

But wow...I really like your music, because it has a very distinct style to it. I wish I could make music like that...o.0

Well, you definitely have given me the tools. And it looks like musagi should run in WINE ok. And I have a keyboard in my room, and a MIDI->USB converter so that I can compose really fast (assuming I have something to record).

Do you have any additional suggestions for writing music? Or should I just start playing around until I make something that sounds half-decent?