Jason's corner

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Jason
Regular
Completed: Sierra Ops Episode 1 and 2, Rising Angels: Reborn (Some CGs)
Projects: Sierra Ops, Muv-Luv Kickstarter
Organization: Innomen Team

Jason's corner

#1 Post by Jason »

Good day everyone, it's been a while.. Been busy w/commissions and if you're interested, just view this link:
Commission Information:
http://helrouis.deviantart.com/journal/35707342/

Samples:
1/18/2011 - My latest work so far:
Attachments
old pic
old pic
Last edited by Jason on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:38 am, edited 6 times in total.

Jason
Regular

Re: Jason's sketchbook & "critique me" corner

#2 Post by Jason »

Practicing anatomy.. Critiques are very much appreciated!
Attachments
Anatomy desu
Anatomy desu

Jason
Regular

#3 Post by Jason »

Work done under 1 hour. Again, feel free to critique, will be very much appreciated.
Attachments
1 hr speedpaint
1 hr speedpaint
Innomen Team Presents: Sierra Ops

We're a very small team of developers from all over the world, with most of the founding members in Philippines.

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#4 Post by pkt »

I like your Reimu for all that matter. I'm going to guess you do digital painting.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

shatteredfox
Regular
Projects: Winter Blue Bells. (3%) // A Mirror of Life(20%)

#5 Post by shatteredfox »

in your first picture something's off with their facial expression. It shouldn't look like that, as it is right now it looks like(for lack of better words and staying pg-13) they're in heat(especially in the back). Other than that great pictures. There's most likely composition errors I'm easily missing but I'm not an artist, I can only give you critique from an everyday-man point of view.

Jason
Regular

#6 Post by Jason »

Thank you pkt, I'm confused which style should I go actually, rough one or the clean one.
Most VNs use the clean/HQ style and somehow I want to try rough to make a difference with my project.
Thank you shatteredfox for the critique, I'll keep in mind to control the expressions next time xD

So here, new sketches, (note that these sketches are done for free. You can try to request one by replying to this thread :D )
Attachments
abby2.jpg
Abby Longbloom free sketch request, OC of majorkerina.deviantart.com
Abby Longbloom free sketch request, OC of majorkerina.deviantart.com

We're a very small team of developers from all over the world, with most of the founding members in Philippines.

fortaat
Regular

Re: Jason's "sketchbook, "critique me" and "free request" co

#7 Post by fortaat »

I want you to try and surprise us. Pick a drawing subject that isn't extensively covered by Anime / Manga, and draw it in a style that represents you as an artist. I'm curious to see what you would do when changing subjects.

This is also my critique - you need to diversify, both thematically and stylistically, in order to improve.

Jason
Regular

Re: Jason's "sketchbook, "critique me" and "free sketch requ

#8 Post by Jason »

@fortaat
I did attempt to capture how my desktop was at night given a cap of 4 hours: (1 layer (except for screenshot on monitor), paint tool SAI 1.1.0, wacom cte 450)

I know it's not good ~ I'll try submitting a new example. Do you have any suggestions for me to try out?

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

Re: Jason's corner ~free advices/tips and sketches.

#9 Post by Nellie »

Wow... That's so big I could hardly see anything >_< (Sorry for having a small monitor)

But hello there fellow touhou fan =D

Eken--Death
Regular
Projects: Reverse! (temp. name)

#10 Post by Eken--Death »

I personally think that your art is beautiful.
NOTE: Wait, the girls' sketches, are they wearing the same shirt/jacket? Perhaps you would want to work on clothes diversity? I dunno.
Could you draw a guy holding a rifle? PLEEEEZE??? Sketch, 'course.

fortaat
Regular

#11 Post by fortaat »

I'm basing this on your DA account, which allows for a very limited view point. Take it for what it is.

You rarely paint textures, and when you do, you often have problems with it. You don't paint a lot of furniture in general, which could explain why you haven't mastered it. You tend to neglect that part, although it should be relatively easy for you, considering your work on fabrics.
The first pic in the thread is a good example - you neglected the desks' texture, the light on the floor has very strict lines, and the wooden frame of the chalk board is grainy (unlike wood).
Tree VS clothes.

Remember that two girls on a bed drawing? The blanket was excellent, but the wall was a one color layer, with some basic gradient over it. It had no texture, although if you knew how to do it, you could have nailed it in ten minutes.
Look at the first pic again, on the wall in the back - same thing.
It happens on some drawings on DA as well.

Polish that desk painting, and make sure the wood looks like wood, the refrigerator's plastic looks like plastic, and the metallic Ipod looks metallic - and most importantly, POLISH the wall. Make sure all of them reflect light properly. It's not very interesting, but it's a good exercise.

Either that, or draw furniture fantasy. Go nuts, just make sure the textures are right.

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#12 Post by pkt »

Because the sketch style is so under done I'm highly considering using it in some on my games. I like the style of your sketches so I think you can pull it off too. Just have decent bg's.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

Jason
Regular

#13 Post by Jason »

@fortaat
Please critique my latest update
Attachments
Fixed anatomy, somehow.<br />This is a 1 layer painting done in SAI
Fixed anatomy, somehow.
This is a 1 layer painting done in SAI
Last edited by Jason on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#14 Post by Fawn »

Hmm, it'd definently be alot better if you could size them down. It's pretty easy, just go to canvas-image size and make sure "Lock aspect ratio" is on. Then take it down a couple hundred pixels.

Other than that, I like the rendering in the background and on the skin. And that dragon statue is BADASS!!
However, I'd work on lighting, your light source seems to skip around. (though, mine's no better lol, it's hard) Put some more colors into the clothing, the bedsheet, and some other areas that aren't as dark. They look a bit plain compared to the nice dark shading on the curtains. The clouds to the top left are a bit pasty looking, I'd suggest instead of using the pen tool to blend them like the rest, you render them with the airbrush tool on a low opacity.
Anatomy on the gals looks a little off, but that tends to happen when you start out with digital paintings.

I'm not an expert, however the guy who wrote this tutorial is, and I've learned alot from it: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#licence it's extremely helpful with digital painting and drawing in general.

Jason
Regular

#15 Post by Jason »

@Fawn thank you for the critique, I resized the image down too. The lighting is quite messy I admit, I don't know how to pull off the camera lighting in front (there's a camera girl shooting at them so yeah xD, otherwise their faces should be darker or so..)

Thanks for the link, I saved the page a long time ago, but then I failed understanding it since I have barely no idea back then haha xD. I'll work on the drapery. I guess I need better references for anatomy and everything.