Help me find some background tutorials...?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Headache
Regular

Help me find some background tutorials...?

#1 Post by Headache »

I've seen lots of how-tos for drawing backgrounds, but it's hard for me to find tutorials on how to colour backgrounds. Maybe I'm just too dumb to look for them properly OTL but I just can't find them. ;A; I've seen stuff like how to colour trees and grass and natural forest backgrounds and stuff, but what I wish I could find are tutorials on how to colour backgrounds like bedrooms, houses, classrooms - you know, the usual BGs you see in VNs (aside from forests and stuff like dat).

So, umm, sorry for spamming but, anyone can give some links for tutorials like I mentioned? I'd really appreciate it! :D

And yeah, sorry for spamming but I really can't help it. I'm too dumb that I can't find tutorials like that... ;A; The only one I've seen is in Japanese. It was kinda good but boy I can't understand a word of it, even when I used Google Translate. TT^TT

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Help me find some background tutorials...?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I'm not actually sure if there are any, I couldn't find much either. That was why I was having to much trouble with it and ended up doing just my usual digital painting, but even that is difficult because of the severity of man made environments. Backgrounds are sooo hard T^T

neowired
Regular

#3 Post by neowired »

I searched for them for some time but didn't really find anything usable. Mostly it's just observe from life and other artists, learn the elements, visualize, combine. And interior design is a whole science to study.

Feel free to chat me though, I'm happy to help to the limit of my own ability.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#4 Post by rioka »

Just paint it like you would anything else - base, shade, highlight, etc. I notice though that there are usually gradients used though sometimes you get ones that are completely done painterly-style. If you are using Photoshop, I suggest you use folders just to keep all the layers organized. If your computer's slow, you may have to do it in parts - i.e. color trees then flatten the image (saving the original non-merged layers of course) and then working on floors and flatten the image and so on until you're done.

There's really nothing you can do about it except to do it yourself and learn on your own.

Ren

#5 Post by Ren »

http://renmazuo-.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d2y5i67

I liked this one, mostly because it's more a guide to an approach, rather than a "paint like this, do your lines like that" sort of tutorial.

Headache
Regular

#6 Post by Headache »

I searched around and found this background tut. It's in Japanese so I used Google Translate. Still, I can't understand much... But the pictures helped a bit.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... google.com

Anyone can explain it further...?

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#7 Post by Nuxill »

Here's a nice one I found a while ago. It was made with comics in mind but I think it would help in any situation.
Background tutorial

Also her really awesome city skyline tutorial.

Headache
Regular

#8 Post by Headache »

Whoa, those are nice! Thanks!

BlazingSpeed
Projects: Bible Black Alternate

#9 Post by BlazingSpeed »

Thanks people those tutorials are nice, quick, and easy who says you can only choose two out of three...