Please Critique My Art.

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Robert Kirkland
Regular

Please Critique My Art.

#1 Post by Robert Kirkland »

This is basically going to be my personal art dump where I can hopefully receive some tips or critique.

Just gonna um, post some images now.
Attachments
what_aer2010.png
Rika_Neko_by_Aer2010.png
Yuei_by_Aer2010.png

Fawn
Moe Imouto

Re: Please Critique My Art.

#2 Post by Fawn »

You're forgetting a major thing in your coloring- eyewhites!! Not putting the white parts of the eyes in over the skin coloring looks like they only have circles surrounded by lines for eyes. Also, I'd suggest looking over some anatomy tuts, here's one I like to use alot: http://www.deviantart.com/download/1501 ... arseed.jpg

Otherwise, I really like how you shade hair :) Keep going!

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#3 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Thanks. I keep forgetting the eyewhites, aha. I always forget something.

That link is really helpful, bookmarked it for future use. Gonna go practice anatomy now..

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

#4 Post by Aozora210 »

Ah yes, eye whites, and also, for color of inner mouth. You can use either dark red or pink for inner mouth. Also, Maybe it will be nice if you add some 'wrinkles' (don't know what they call it) on clothes or fabrics. Also, for me the head is a little oversized, but it depends on style, though. Some people manage to make big head on small body looks nice. Maybe you should develop your anatomy little bit more.

Anyway, your coloring is very nice. Keep it up! XD
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Aozora210 wrote:Also, Maybe it will be nice if you add some 'wrinkles' (don't know what they call it) on clothes or fabrics.
Is it called cloth folding?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#6 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Aozora210 wrote:Maybe it will be nice if you add some 'wrinkles' (don't know what they call it) on clothes or fabrics.
Folds, I think.

I'm going to hopefully post another picture soon, but the weather is pretty bad so the Internet keeps going on and off..

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#7 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

LVUER wrote:
Aozora210 wrote:Also, Maybe it will be nice if you add some 'wrinkles' (don't know what they call it) on clothes or fabrics.
Is it called cloth folding?
You mean the lines on cloth?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

Yeah. You know how most fabric have folds/wrinkles even when the cloth itself isn't folded at all. It will show the material of the cloth. Leather (especially hard leather), rarely or doesn't have fold/wrinkles since they are hard.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#9 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

LVUER wrote:Yeah. You know how most fabric have folds/wrinkles even when the cloth itself isn't folded at all. It will show the material of the cloth. Leather (especially hard leather), rarely or doesn't have fold/wrinkles since they are hard.
O_O they do make the picture livelier. Image

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#10 Post by sayuri »

Just a few things I noticed right away that weren't already pointed out.

The skin looks too pink/brown. I do like the depth it gives, but the shadow around the nose looks odd, in my opinion. I understand what you are trying to do but you are showing too little face for it to work and not make the face look muddy. For the first girl the blush covers way too large an area. As for the others, the area is fine but they look like they are actually blushing on not just rosy.

The hair is very blocky for all three. I can understand how hard it is to draw long, flowing hair but it is better to get in the habit. I suppose it is just a stylistic thing but if every character has a similar hair style... well you see my point. Also the hair seems a tad to voluminous. I think the underneath for the second girl is a good thickness.

Now to talk a little about the shading for the hair. I can see you used three different ways of showing light. Even though I don't particularly like the shape of her hair, I like the technique in the third one best. I like how you did the bottom of the first one, except for the top of the head. As for the second, the part above the band of light doesn't even seem connected to the rest. I actually realized looking at your shading there is no central point the hair is growing from. That's why the top of the hair looks shapeless and attached to the skull. When you sketch hair, try drawing the chunk of hair all the way back to the crown of her head. You can always erase this but it ensures all the parts are flowing the same way. Also, allowing your lines go further back helps when showing light, since the light would follow the line back and the crown would have more depth. I mean, there is nothing wrong with using a band of light but typically the top of the head is the lightest (with the exception of a part if you have that, and when the light comes from above).

I hope I helped, even though you are a much better artist than I am, eheh :oops:.

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#11 Post by Robert Kirkland »

sayuri wrote:I hope I helped, even though you are a much better artist than I am, eheh :oops:.
You really did! :)
I don't have enough time to write responses to all of the tips you gave me, so I'm going to edit this post tomorrow to add them.
Your post was really helpful, Sayuri, thank you. :) I'm working on two other pics right now and I'm keeping all of this in mind as I lineart them.

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#12 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

The hair shading looks good, and the expressions. ^_^

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#13 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Random sketch.
Attachments
sketch.png

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#14 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

Robert Kirkland wrote:Random sketch.
how did you do the blending of colors?

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#15 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Elemental-Butterfly wrote:
Robert Kirkland wrote:Random sketch.
how did you do the blending of colors?
I locked the layer and then drew the colors over it, then I used the blur tool. (This is all on SAI)