critique my art

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
irbisroselia

critique my art

#1 Post by irbisroselia »

hello everyone,i discovered ren'py a while ago and i want to make a vn :mrgreen:
until i'll buy a tablet,i decided to work on my drawing skills on paper,and i managed to make some characters:
SAM_1904.JPG
SAM_1907.JPG
i'm not really good at expressions :( so it would be great if you know some tutorials :D

shanie019
Completed: N/A
Projects: N/A

Re: critique my art

#2 Post by shanie019 »

I'm a n00b also...I think the face, neck and hands need work 0.0 The body looks pretty awesome :D I like the 2nd pic
Hello! I don't have anything to say in my signature. Hahaha.

charmwitch
Regular

#3 Post by charmwitch »

One of my favorite expression tutorials : http://fav.me/d1a2xlw
Honestly I think you're off to a great start, I always emphasize mirroring images (take it up to a mirror) so that your mind "flips" the image and you can see things you didn't see before. Looking at a picture through a different perspective changes what looks right and what doesn't!

That being said, I really like the first one. Keep it up!

PsychoticallyAngelic

#4 Post by PsychoticallyAngelic »

charmwitch wrote: Honestly I think you're off to a great start, I always emphasize mirroring images (take it up to a mirror) so that your mind "flips" the image and you can see things you didn't see before. Looking at a picture through a different perspective changes what looks right and what doesn't!

That being said, I really like the first one. Keep it up!
^ What she said. :D I catch a lot of my mistakes by mirroring my drawings, too. :D
I like the first one! :D The hands are a little small, though. Also, for the second girl, her shoulders seem a little broad... Or maybe that's just me? Because I often only see guys with broad shoulders. ^^'' Oh, and the second girl's right shoulder seems to be tilted too high up.
Other than that, I think your drawings are great. :D

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think the main issue with both drawings is proportions as well balance. I second charmwitch's advice regarding mirroring the image. The heads and necks of both characters do not seem to belong to the body types that you drew. The bodies look too big and too long compared to the heads and necks, especially the thin neck of pic 1.

The shape of the face for the 2nd pic looks a bit unbalanced. The left arm of pic 1 looks too long and the elbow is placed too far down the arm.

There are other issues, but you can catch them yourself by flipping the image horizontally (AKA mirroring).

That aside, the facial features look fine and I like the eyes on pic 1.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#6 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

the character designs are nice, and it's good you have some sense of fashion put into them, but like the people above said, you proportions are mismatched.
the neck you've drwan on them is too small even for a stylized drawing. it wouldn't be quite as bad if you had cutesy proportions as well, but your bodies are actually slightly taller than normal so it really stands out as wrong. For the proportions you've given them, I'd say measure from the middle of each eye and you should be about right.
both your characters are taller than normal, but it's within reasonable range, and the actual parts are in the right places. However, the arms on the top one are too thin, especially looking at her clothes. remember that the sleeves have thickness as well, and that a person's hand is usually as long as their face with at least half that much width.
The only other major thing I see is that while their clothes have a good amount of personality, they don't have the volume to match. You don't necessarily have to do any shading or anything, but try to avoid making the details on the clothes look as if they were facing the viewer. this goes back to the problem with the sleeves in that the clothes need to have their own thickness.

I don't think your expression have any problems, as long as that's not the only expression you can draw.

Sakura02
Regular
Projects: Ecchie Sketchy

#7 Post by Sakura02 »

I like the details in the clothing, keep pushing the designs more.
Honestly I don't think the necks are that bad. Have u seen the characters for Digimon Season 1. XD
Now that was pretty bad. lolz. I think you're pretty good. You just need to pay attention so some of the proportions.
Check out the tips in the attachment below for my critique :D
Attachments
helpwith.jpg

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#8 Post by Snowflower »

Although I am not much of an artist myself, I think something is off in the neck area for the first drawing
second one looks better
expression wise, if that's the "normal", it's fine.
check out her deviantart. there are some really good tips.
http://moni158.deviantart.com/gallery/26778761
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13