BG images/random art, Music, Videos (HELP!)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
SmileyFace
Regular
Projects: The Chronicle: Elements of Time, Talents, Learning to Love (artist)

Re: BG images/random art, Music, Videos (HELP!)

#46 Post by SmileyFace »

hmmm my only REAL complaint in this picture would be the girls shoulder. You could fix this by making the other shoulder not as far apart to give the illusion that the shoulder is hidden behind the jacket.

Also I find the legs a bit awkward. With the girls legs her knees are at the same hight even when one of them is bent.
..and the guy seems to not have any hips or any sort of butt. (I prefer my guys having some form of behind.)

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#47 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

SmileyFace wrote:Image
hmmm my only REAL complaint in this picture would be the girls shoulder. You could fix this by making the other shoulder not as far apart to give the illusion that the shoulder is hidden behind the jacket.

Also I find the legs a bit awkward. With the girls legs her knees are at the same hight even when one of them is bent.
..and the guy seems to not have any hips or any sort of butt. (I prefer my guys having some form of behind.)

Shoulders.................. Hmmm.........
I can't think of anything to say now except..............
"FTW HOW COULD I MISS THAT?????!!!!!!!"

And the legs, I never meant to show the knees too much. Did it look like her knees? OOpsies.
And behinds.............XD I'm so shy and terrible to show that! Sorry!
I"LL TRY MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE HARDER!!!

Personally, I think that I draw better with traditional art since I've been drawing in that way for 6 years.
I really need to get used to my tablet -.-
I hope everyone forgives me for repeating silly mistakes in some way
*shot

SmileyFace
Regular
Projects: The Chronicle: Elements of Time, Talents, Learning to Love (artist)

#48 Post by SmileyFace »

Personally, I think that I draw better with traditional art since I've been drawing in that way for 6 years.
I really need to get used to my tablet -.-
I hope everyone forgives me for repeating silly mistakes in some way
*shot
IKR! Drawing with a tablet is hard. D':
I got mine I think like three weeks ago and I still struggle with drawing a line that Isn't wobbly or shaky.
(and when I do I had spent like 10 minutes on just that one line.)

Two things I do to help practice my tablet drawing skills:
- Replace my mouse with my tablet.
- Try drawing traditionally without looking at the page but at the object you are looking at. This helps with hand-eye coordination.

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#49 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

Phew, one more drawing
A set of chibis.
I hope I've improved and I coloured it lazily, so ............. yeah XD
(This is the first time i've drawn a blond guy! XD)

Oh, u can critique on the handwriting also if that pleases you XD
Attachments
Chibi.png

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#50 Post by EternalDream »

I think the legs are too short... (compared to the torso and arms of course) and the neck is probably too thick for chibis, in fact, I don't even think some people's chibis have necks at all <.< Out of all of them, I think the girl looks the best ^^ I can't really comment on the coloring 'cuz I can't color at all so whatever I say regarding that is pretty much useless stuff that don't make sense and I will probably regret saying it later XD

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#51 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

EternalDream wrote:I think the legs are too short... (compared to the torso and arms of course) and the neck is probably too thick for chibis, in fact, I don't even think some people's chibis have necks at all <.< Out of all of them, I think the girl looks the best ^^ I can't really comment on the coloring 'cuz I can't color at all so whatever I say regarding that is pretty much useless stuff that don't make sense and I will probably regret saying it later XD
Oh, okay XD
Yeah, i thought that the legs were a bit off too. I'll try to practice more then.
Hmm, about the necks, can I just continue drawing like that?
Or is it better without necks or maybe thinner ones?

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#52 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

Yay, first attempt to make random sprites!
Is the anatomy okay? The colourings are suitable?
Her pose is awkward?

:P oopsies, I don't know how to reduce attachments other than
posting them at sites.
Attachments
smile.png
playful.png
blush.png
angry.png

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#53 Post by SusanTheCat »

I like the colouring and I love the design.

Her left arm looks like it is coming detached at the shoulder.

The basket is SOOOOOOO cute!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#54 Post by cloudyssky »

I agree with Susan. The left arm looks detatched. It needs to be close to the body, and have more of a curvy shoulder look rather than sharp edges. The right hand looks great though.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

SusanTheCat wrote:
Her left arm looks like it is coming detached at the shoulder.

Susan
cloudyssky wrote: I agree with Susan. The left arm looks detatched. It needs to be close to the body, and have more of a curvy shoulder look rather than sharp edges.
Alright! I'll fix the arm now. (I knew that there was something wrong)
*shot
Glad you like the design and colouring, Susan!~
Thanks you guys! :D

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#56 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

So, I fixed it.
I hope this is better.
(Too lazy to fix it again. -.-)
I still think it's awkward though.
How to make it look real and un-awkward(?), anyone, advices?
Attachments
New Canvas.png

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#57 Post by Lotus »

The best tip I can give anyone who plans on doing art for living is DON'T BE LAZY. If you're lazy while doing art for a commissioner, you're cheating yourself and whoever PAID you to do art. If you're lazy while doing art for a team, you're holding back the entire project from its fullest potential. If you're lazy while doing art for yourself, you're not letting yourself be the amazing artist you have potential to be. You're only cheating yourself.
If this were a piece for a commissioner, do they think would be pleased to see "too lazy to fix it again =.=" as a description, especially if something minor was off (like maybe you forgot to add their character's signature necklace or something)? Do you think they'd purchase from you again, knowing they might receive the same kind of service?

Bottom line, if you're serious about art, be serious about art. Being serious about your art is the number one way of getting better, because when you're serious you constantly push yourself to get better.

Sorry bout the mini-rant xD;

The arm definitely looks better, but is still a bit awkward. Try putting your own arm in that position. It hurts just a bit, and that's because it's an unnatural pose. It's easier to make poses a bit more natural if you use understructure.
Understructure for me usually means drawing a mannequin-esque person, then adding details like hair and clothes after I get the form right (by the way, mannequins are a great tool for artists for practicing poses, I think mine was only $9 and he's probably 8.5 inches tall. Not too bad considering I've had him for about 2 years now. Just make sure no younger/older siblings touch them. Siblings have a mystical power to screw crap up. especially mannequins :I I know from experience)
Attachments
New Canvas.png

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

Lotus wrote:The best tip I can give anyone who plans on doing art for living is DON'T BE LAZY. If you're lazy while doing art for a commissioner, you're cheating yourself and whoever PAID you to do art. If you're lazy while doing art for a team, you're holding back the entire project from its fullest potential. If you're lazy while doing art for yourself, you're not letting yourself be the amazing artist you have potential to be. You're only cheating yourself.
If this were a piece for a commissioner, do they think would be pleased to see "too lazy to fix it again =.=" as a description, especially if something minor was off (like maybe you forgot to add their character's signature necklace or something)? Do you think they'd purchase from you again, knowing they might receive the same kind of service?

Bottom line, if you're serious about art, be serious about art. Being serious about your art is the number one way of getting better, because when you're serious you constantly push yourself to get better.

Sorry bout the mini-rant xD;

The arm definitely looks better, but is still a bit awkward. Try putting your own arm in that position. It hurts just a bit, and that's because it's an unnatural pose. It's easier to make poses a bit more natural if you use understructure.
Understructure for me usually means drawing a mannequin-esque person, then adding details like hair and clothes after I get the form right (by the way, mannequins are a great tool for artists for practicing poses, I think mine was only $9 and he's probably 8.5 inches tall. Not too bad considering I've had him for about 2 years now. Just make sure no younger/older siblings touch them. Siblings have a mystical power to screw crap up. especially mannequins :I I know from experience)

You know, I've been telling those all to myself and I haven't even changed myself a bit.
I'm REALLY SERIOUSabout art. Really!! Well, thanks for pointing all those to me.
I really needed to hear someone yell at me about that........
I'll be sure to work harder!!!!
But I'm not positive of getting any commissions from anyone actually ^^;

And the arm......hmmmm.....Maybe I should use
MY SIBLING as a mannequin XD That way the only mannequin they're screwing up is themselves.
I just bought a tablet, which spent too much money on it
and I don't think I'm gonna get a $9 mannequin ever.(US dollar is about 4 times more expensive in our country ^^;)

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#59 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

hmm is there a way to copy a selection(the line box) and paste it at different places in the canvas?
Cause I tried and it only pastes at the same spot!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#60 Post by LVUER »

SmileyFace wrote: IKR! Drawing with a tablet is hard. D':
I got mine I think like three weeks ago and I still struggle with drawing a line that Isn't wobbly or shaky.
(and when I do I had spent like 10 minutes on just that one line.)

Two things I do to help practice my tablet drawing skills:
- Replace my mouse with my tablet.
- Try drawing traditionally without looking at the page but at the object you are looking at. This helps with hand-eye coordination.
1. Drawing with mouse is slow, hurt your wrist (careful with RSI, k?), and can't tap full potential of some software.
2. Why should you draw traditionally without looking at your page? That would be missing the whole point of drawing "not-digitally". Remember you can't use those nifty eraser, magic-wand, layers, and undo feature in traditional method.

Instead of giving up on tablet, you could try one or several of these method:
1. Practice hard (no pain, no gain) using tablet. Abandon traditional method and concentrate on digital way. Don't forget to exploit your software.
2. Remember that when sketching, you could use more line since you will use different layer anyway (not like some of traditional method where you ink on top of your sketch).
3. Buy Cintiq. This tablet works like touchscreen. You could see the drawing on the tablet.

If all fails... you could always hold SHIFT when making the line ^_^ This will guarantee to make a smooth, straight line in some software (photoshop, flash, etc).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW