I need some color critique.

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
LondonIvy
Regular

I need some color critique.

#1 Post by LondonIvy »

I'm no genius when it comes to art. However, I would still like to improve. I'll admit, this is my first time actually digitally coloring with any program, especially Gimp. I'm simply am not used to it. I'm sure I've committed a couple of cardinal sins (I used white instead of a lighter base color), and overused the shinies to cover up the fact I didn't really know what I was doing. Any other advice people can offer for the piece?

Also, I would like to be able to use it as a sprite in a game I may create (after my first project is done, of course. I don't believe in stacking projects on top of each other or else they may never get completed).

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

Re: I need some color critique.

#2 Post by Lotus »

Hey there! I'm normally just lurk on this forum, but I figured I'd pitch in : ) . Don't worry too much about not being used to Gimp, it's really confusing at first! Once you get the hang of Gimp, there's not much you can't do in it. I pretty much do all my digital art in Gimp nowadays. When you start to feel more comfortable in Gimp, I would recommend getting Gimp Paint Studio. It's amazing for digital painters <3

The first thing I see is your lines. I'm going to guess that you put your line art layer on multiply? I've noticed (through trial and error with my own art) that if you save colored lineart as a transparent png and the lineart layer is set to "Multiply", it makes those fugly lines that are absent in places, like on her arms. What I would suggest is to set the line art layer to "Normal" instead of "Multiply". If your line art has white in it, here's a tutorial for very easily removing the white: http://fav.me/d2be5o8

What do you want critique on specifically, the color/shading or the sprite as a whole?

For the color, you are correct when you said that you shouldn't use white as a highlight, but as this is your first piece done with a painting program I can't blame you for using white. You're still getting used to coloring digitally and have yet to find your coloring style. The biggest key to finding your coloring style is to experiment until you find something you like. Personally, I like to use yellow or a light blue for highlights, on a layer set to "Screen". Everyone is different though, so experiment with colors, layers settings, etc, and find what works for you.

The shading, specifically with the shirt and hair, looks a little dirty. The problem is most likely the colors you chose to shade those parts. I like how you shaded the pants, though they look odd in contrast with the rest of the image. The rest of image looks a little flat because of the colors you used for shading, while the pants have volume (which is a good thing). I would suggest learning up on color theory and how it relates to shading, there's a bunch of really nice color theory tutorials on Deviantart.

Overall not bad for a first try with a painting program (my first try was a lot worse), but you've got some room for improvement (as does every artist).

Hope that helps some! c:

LondonIvy
Regular

#3 Post by LondonIvy »

Yes, that does indeed help A LOT. Like I said, my poor little lineart needs help, and I'm poor as far as color theory goes. I just recently learned that you shouldn't use black in your drawings for shading (which blew my mind XD).

I'll take critique on anything anyone notices about the piece.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#4 Post by Alera »

Hm...now- my crit:
First I don't like how your lines disappear on places. You either have a lineart, or don't.
(And I won't talk about the anatomy mistakes, because you want advices about the colouring, right? ^^lll)

You need to define your light source better. I see you've tried to do something like that on the face, but what about the rest of the drawing? It still looks kind of flat, even though it has shading. And you lack some...technique. You've used only soft brushes and everything is just too blended. You also don't have any solid- thrown shadows. Check here: http://fav.me/d2pvc1e I've talked a little about these problems.
And if you want- check all my colouring lessons starting from the first one: http://fav.me/d2fb5f7. I hope they could help you a bit!!! >w<
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

LondonIvy
Regular

#5 Post by LondonIvy »

Oh yeah, that was helpful. I'll keep in mind to check out your tutorials when I next start to color.

Also, even though I asked for coloring critique, anatomy critique would be useful as well. What can be improved there? I thought the anatomy looked okay, but if it doesn't then I'd like to correct it or at least be aware of it for my next piece.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Alera »

^^

About the anatomy then~ The head is a bit too big, and her neck a lil short, which makes the head look even bigger. Also those bones you've drawn below her neck- they should be a little up. Check on your own body how they connect with the shoulders- so they can't be that low.
Oh, also on her head- her 'brain part' looks a little small. Like she has been hit with something on the head and now it's kinda flat. XD

I don't know what else~the rest looks fine I guess?
Games:

LondonIvy
Regular

#7 Post by LondonIvy »

Hmmm...now that you mention it, yes, it is low. That's something no one has ever pointed out but is a common mistake in what I draw.

Question: I have trouble with outlines obviously. How do you do them properly? This is something I can't really figure out, even from looking at art of people who've done it right.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Alera »

For the lines...I think you have to do them first, on a separated layer and put them above everything else. That's how they won't get affected of your colouring.
Games:

dstarsboy
Veteran

#9 Post by dstarsboy »

Your coloring looks good to me. Your left arm seems to not follow the light direction in the shading as much as everything else though. Definitely fix your line-art, that will make a huge difference. Other than that, I think you did quite well.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus