Android input methods

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Voight-Kampff
Veteran

Android input methods

#1 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Not having a device to test this on, I'm curious about the current and future input methods of the Android port of Ren'Py.

Is/will there be a way to interface with the accelerometer? Could we get functionality to dynamically resize and reposition sprites based on how the user is holding their device? Maybe even get some sort of "pan" functionality that can be used to "look" a whole sprite up and down, rather than just stare at the torso the entire time?

And just how interactive is the touch screen? Could we get down to the level of moving individual sprites around? I could certainly see such a function being useful for scenarios in which stripping clothes off of a sprite could be done with the flick of a finger. Er, not that I would personally use such a function. I'm just, uh, you know...trying to think of the good of the Ren'Py development community. Uhm, yeah.

Personally, I'm thinking more along the lines of a screen with a character sprite, and then other assorted sprites, like a bouquet of flowers, a box of chocolates and a necklace, and the user would have to "give" one of them to the character by dragging and dropping onto the character sprite...which, if the correct item is chosen, would lead to the stripping... :lol:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Android input methods

#2 Post by PyTom »

Drag and drop should work just fine.

The accelerometer is available, but I haven't done anything to hook it up to Ren'Py. The panning idea is actually a pretty cool feature, and probably easily doable with viewports, so if you're serious about it, I'll hack it together sometime.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

Re: Android input methods

#3 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Eh, we need to finish a game first. Then we'll worry about porting it.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to have as many bells and whistles available for customization on Android as possible. But I wouldn't put any of this above a "It'd be nice to have...some day" level.