Ren'Py 6.13 Pre-Releases

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.13 Pre-Releases

#61 Post by PyTom »

DaFool - it sounds like there's some sort of bug in your graphics drivers. Please go to:

http://earth.google.com/support/bin/ans ... wer=176180

and try steps 4-6.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#62 Post by jack_norton »

PyTom wrote:Hrm. Can you attach the bmfont files, please?
Here it is, image+.fnt file
Attachments
font.zip
(117.14 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#63 Post by DaFool »

PyTom wrote:DaFool - it sounds like there's some sort of bug in your graphics drivers. Please go to:

http://earth.google.com/support/bin/ans ... wer=176180

and try steps 4-6.
I was using the default manufacturer's install. In any case, I updated the Intel Drivers, but I cannot update DirectX because it says the version I have (DirectX 11) is already the latest version.

Is there a way to force OpenGL acceleration?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#64 Post by PyTom »

DaFool wrote:I was using the default manufacturer's install. In any case, I updated the Intel Drivers, but I cannot update DirectX because it says the version I have (DirectX 11) is already the latest version.

Is there a way to force OpenGL acceleration?
You can try updating DirectX by double-clicking dxwebsetup.exe in the lib directory. Even though you have DX 11, the version of DX 9 on your computer (a somewhat separate program) may be out of date.

If that doesn't work, you can hold down shift on startup to switch to OpenGL-only.

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#65 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

6.13 complains that my computer doesn't support shaders. (This is probably because I'm using the open-source nouveau driver rather than the closed binary blob; the fallback GL renderer that it's using appears acceptable.)
log.txt
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
6.13.0.1582 still throws LookupError exceptions when it encounters unicode in string literals - both "São Paulo" and u"São Paulo" crash.
traceback-utf-32-be.txt
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#66 Post by PyTom »

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:6.13 complains that my computer doesn't support shaders. (This is probably because I'm using the open-source nouveau driver rather than the closed binary blob; the fallback GL renderer that it's using appears acceptable.)
That's a correct warning - your computer doesn't support shaders. Ren'Py is starting to take advantage of shaders internally, and within a few releases, there will be features that can't fall back on the fixed function hardware. So I've added a warning if the hardware doesn't support shaders.

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran

#67 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

I just managed to get a traceback which got the wrong line number for the last line - the ValueError was actually thrown on line 198, not 199. Deleting bytecode.rpyb so that Ren'Py would be forced to regenerate it fixed the line number reporting.
traceback-codemismatch.txt
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#68 Post by PyTom »

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:6.13.0.1582 still throws LookupError exceptions when it encounters unicode in string literals - both "São Paulo" and u"São Paulo" crash.
Apparently, utf_32_be.pyo does not like to be distributed. I included it in the zip, and it wound up being excluded from the shift+U updates. I fixed the bug in the build scripts, and it'll be in tonight's update... probably.
Spiky Caterpillar wrote:I just managed to get a traceback which got the wrong line number for the last line - the ValueError was actually thrown on line 198, not 199. Deleting bytecode.rpyb so that Ren'Py would be forced to regenerate it fixed the line number reporting.
I now include the filename and line number as part of the hash assigned to the code object, so it should be correct in the new version. This will trigger a recompile of all code, but that isn't a big deal. Again, this will be in tonight's update.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#69 Post by PyTom »

6.13.0.1586 is up.

Apart from the fixes mentioned above, it also includes some improvements to the generated documentation:

- A more consistent style.
- The search is now google-powered. The previous search didn't work in some web browsers.
- There's a new Function and Class index, which means you don't have to look at the eye-bleeding general index as often.

You can see the new documentation online at:

http://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#70 Post by mugenjohncel »

It seems Screen Based Imagemap GUI no longer works with new Renpy... ;_;

I SWEAR I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING STUPID THIS TIME!...REALLY!!!....YOU'VE GOT TO BELIEVE ME RENPYTOM...
It's the same code... works flawlessly well with older Renpy... or did I missed some major changes with Renpy that rendered the current Screen Based Imagemap non-working?...

I attached it here... here's a brief description of the problem...

Nothing but standard Screen Based Imagemap (no bells and whistles attached) While game runs, the hotspots are no longer there or are not responsive to mouse input... you can press ALT+F4 to quit but you'll still need to press the arrow keys to move to the proper hotspot and press enter before you can even quit.

"POOF" (Disappears)
Attachments
Screen Based Imagemap Test Build.zip
(895.68 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#71 Post by DaFool »

mugenjohncel wrote:It seems Screen Based Imagemap GUI no longer works with new Renpy... ;_;
Always, always update yours screens.rpy. The screens.rpy that came with 6.11 should stay with 6.11 -- the one that came with 6.12 should stay with 6.12. In this case, use the one that came with 6.13

I don't have the time to check the build since I'm at work, but I've always noticed my menus crapping out when I just upgrade and copy all scripts as-is.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#72 Post by mugenjohncel »

DaFool wrote:Always, always update yours screens.rpy. The screens.rpy that came with 6.11 should stay with 6.11 -- the one that came with 6.12 should stay with 6.12. In this case, use the one that came with 6.13

I don't have the time to check the build since I'm at work, but I've always noticed my menus crapping out when I just upgrade and copy all scripts as-is.
Mine didn't came with screens.rpy since this build started from an older renpy (that didn't include the now standard screens.rpy in every new build) I just bunny hop one higher version at a time... Simply dragging the whole project to the new renpy always worked for me except for this latest release which is rather odd and unexpected... so currently scratching head... :?

"POOF" (Disappears)

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran

#73 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

While new-style variable interpolation works when I start the game from the launcher, it doesn't work in built distributions. (Tested in win32 distributions built with .1582 and .1586, and Linux distributions built with .1586.) %(variablename)s does work (tested in Linux/.1586)

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#74 Post by Alex »

It seems Screen Based Imagemap GUI no longer works with new Renpy... ;_;
Hm, it works in window mode on my old (not wide screen) monitor, but in fullscreen mode it messed...(

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#75 Post by PyTom »

DaFool wrote:Always, always update yours screens.rpy. The screens.rpy that came with 6.11 should stay with 6.11 -- the one that came with 6.12 should stay with 6.12. In this case, use the one that came with 6.13
This is bad advice. You should never need to update screens.rpy, except when mentioned on the incompatible changes page. You can also choose to update if you want the new features, but the idea of screens.rpy is that you can modify it and your changes will stick from version to version.
mugenjohncel wrote:It seems Screen Based Imagemap GUI no longer works with new Renpy... ;_;
Fixed it. The problem was with non-rectangular buttons. The OpenGL code needed to read out the alpha channel for these buttons, and it did so using the GL_ALPHA mode. This mode isn't supported in OpenGL ES 2, which is the API Angle turns into DirectX. Changing it to GL_RGBA fixed the problem.
Spiky Caterpillar wrote:While new-style variable interpolation works when I start the game from the launcher, it doesn't work in built distributions. (Tested in win32 distributions built with .1582 and .1586, and Linux distributions built with .1586.) %(variablename)s does work (tested in Linux/.1586)
This was a glitch in the sense of a backwards-compatibility test. Instead of testing for versions less than (6, 13, 0), it tested for less-than-or-equal to 6.13.0. The backwards compatibility code switches off new-style substitutions, and switches back on old-style substitutions. I've updated the test to fix this problem.

These fixes will become available in tonight's pre-release build.