Submitting a framework?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Aoide
Regular

Submitting a framework?

#1 Post by Aoide »

I've recently completed a soft keyboard system for Ren'Py that allows users to input characters in both English and Japanese (with the ability to expand into other languages). Since renpy.Input currently disallows special characters, I wanted to offer this as a framework for people who need a more flexible input system.

So, my question is, do you accept submissions of frameworks? And if so, how should I go about submitting said framework for approval?

I've attached some screenshots below of what the keyboard looks like.
Attachments
Screenshot of the Japanese keyboard.
Screenshot of the Japanese keyboard.
Screenshot of the English keyboard.
Screenshot of the English keyboard.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Submitting a framework?

#2 Post by LVUER »

Try sending a PM to PyTom.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

UnicornStudiosOsaka wrote: So, my question is, do you accept submissions of frameworks? And if so, how should I go about submitting said framework for approval?
I sure do.

The easiest way is to create an account on the wiki, and let me know what it is. I'll give you editing rights, and then you can just add it to the frameworks page.

Can you describe how this framework works, to the end user? Like how they enter non-basic characters?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#4 Post by TsukiShima »

I had to drop by and say that it's awesome of you to be able to do this! Later on, if it can be share with others, I'm going to take this chance too.

Anyhow, good job!

Aoide
Regular

#5 Post by Aoide »

Awesome, thanks :)
PyTom wrote:The easiest way is to create an account on the wiki, and let me know what it is.
I'm UnicornStudiosOsaka on there too; I created an account when I updated the Japanese translation page.
PyTom wrote:Can you describe how this framework works, to the end user? Like how they enter non-basic characters?
The soft keyboard engine provides a software keyboard allows the user to input text by clicking on the keys displayed on the screen. The soft keyboard allows user input of the alphabet, special characters, symbols, and even characters from other languages (as long as the font allows for it) into any Ren'Py game.

Like that?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

UnicornStudiosOsaka wrote:I'm UnicornStudiosOsaka on there too; I created an account when I updated the Japanese translation page.
I've added you.
The soft keyboard engine provides a software keyboard allows the user to input text by clicking on the keys displayed on the screen. The soft keyboard allows user input of the alphabet, special characters, symbols, and even characters from other languages (as long as the font allows for it) into any Ren'Py game.
Okay. I was kind of wondering if it supported input-method style functionality, but that's complex. (I can't wait until there's a Pygame for SDL 1.3, which will clear this up once and for all.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Aoide
Regular

#7 Post by Aoide »

I've uploaded the framework to the Frameworks Wiki page. I intend to write supporting documentation this week, but for now the English/Japanese keyboard should be plug-and-play for their respective languages.
PyTom wrote:I was kind of wondering if it supported input-method style functionality, but that's complex. (I can't wait until there's a Pygame for SDL 1.3, which will clear this up once and for all.)
Input from a hardware keyboard was the first thing I looked into, actually. I found a patch for the Pygame SDK, but it seemed buggy and I wasn't sure if it was worth the time/effort to see if I could get it working with Ren'Py.

I'm also looking forward to the Pygame SDL (especially for the easy input of kanji), although I think the soft keyboard framework will still be useful for things like the easy input of symbols and for people who want to have the old-school life sim/dating sim feel to their game. :)