Ren'Py 6.14 Pre-Releases

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.14 Pre-Releases

#91 Post by PyTom »

Jake wrote:It's going to be an increasing problem for all people releasing software for the Mac; Apple isn't going to do anything about it because it's their protection racket, so indie developers basically have two choices: engage in an education campaign and hope that they reach enough people and explain how to turn this piece of shit off, or bend over, drop trousers and take it.
That's a kind of graphic way of putting it.

My problem is that I don't see the code signing as ridiculous, although it's very suspect that Apple decided to act as a CA themselves, rather than using a neutral CA like Microsoft does. At the same time, the Mac platform is getting more and more malware, so I can see Apple wanting to do something about that. (Apart from quietly removing the "Doesn't get Viruses" claim from their website.)

I suspect the right approach will be to simply come up with a code-signable version of Ren'Py, for all supported platforms, and then leave the actual signing in the developers's hands. (Right now, even if you wanted to sign a Ren'Py app, you couldn't - much of the code is in Python or Ren'Py, but the signing only verifies C code. There needs to be a C module that verifies the script code before it is run.)

To some extent, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to determine if this is actually an issue in practice. Are all the games distributed through steam for required to be code-signed? I haven't heard of that requirement yet. (And there are two Ren'Py games being distributed through Steam right now.)

This is not a 6.14 issue - code signing will wait for the next release, whenever it comes out.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#92 Post by jack_norton »

For Steam probably not, because those apps are started within the application. Same for other portals like Desura. But as you said, that's just 2 people out of hundred of renpy games. It's a minority :)

I actually forgot but a month ago I tried to sign the app with the commandline tool and I *think* I was successful, but I am still downloading (11h left to go... sigh my connection) Mountain Lion to check if Gatekeeper recognizes it.
Codesigning for the appstore is a problem because you get some warning about the python framework not being signed, but not having the game on the mac appstore honestly is not a big loss for me, what I'm interested is not scaring away direct buyers.
Once I finish downloading will test, maybe is easier than what I thought. And maybe you'll be able to add it to the launcher since I am using a python script to codesign the app itself :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

civa

#93 Post by civa »

I find "with ease" work like "with move" in my system. (in renpy 6.14.0.313)

You can check this code:

Code: Select all

show text "move" at truecenter
    pause 0.5

show text "move":
        xalign 1.0
    with move

pause 1.0

show text "ease" at truecenter
    pause 0.5

show text "ease":
        xalign 1.0
    with ease

pause 1.0

"It look like the same."
My System Info:

* renpy 6.14.0.313
* Ubuntu 12.04 (Linux) in ASUS G1 Notebook
* OpenSUSE 12.1 (Linux) in lenovo ThinkPad X200
(Those two platform was tested.)

Thank you!

inahochama
Regular

#94 Post by inahochama »

Sweet! My love for this engine has been renewed. Look at that swaaag ^^! Will try to rewrite my vns in this version. Looking forward to 6.14's complete release.

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#95 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

screen choice:
    window at trk: 
        style "menu_window"        
        xalign 0.5
        yalign 0.5

vbox at trk:
            style "menu"
            spacing -10

for caption, action, chosen in items:

if action:
                        if not chosen: 
                            button:
                                action action
                                style "menu_choice_button"

text caption style "menu_choice"
                        elif chosen == True:
                            button:
                                action action
                                style "menu_choice_chosen_button"

text caption style "menu_choice_chosen"
                    else:
                        text caption style "menu_caption"
I've been using this so far to enable the choice screen to show you which choices you already picked. It worked in the previous version, but since I updated, I had no luck making it work. If I open the game with renpy13 and pick at least one choice and then switch to 14, it suddenly starts to work.

What could be the problem here? Maybe something with the persistend data?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#96 Post by jack_norton »

Was playtesting Loren for long time, like 1h playing session with several load/save, and when I quit the game, I got this strange error (never seen before):

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: 10 Renders are alive at shutdown. This is probably a memory leak bug in Ren'Py.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Intel 2120\Downloads\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 228, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\Intel 2120\Downloads\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 364, in main
  File "render.pyx", line 91, in renpy.display.render.check_at_shutdown (gen\renpy.display.render.c:1473)
Exception: 10 Renders are alive at shutdown. This is probably a memory leak bug in Ren'Py.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#97 Post by PyTom »

I've uploaded Ren'Py 6.14.0.329.

Apart from some minor bugfixes (including a fix for FragmentedBergyo's bug), the big change in this release was a major rewrite of the way Ren'Py handles video playback. Video playback should now be faster, more robust, and achieve a more stable framerate.

It also adds webm support.

This can be downloaded by clicking update in the 6.14 launcher.

Thanks to everyone who's tested 6.14 so far, and hopefully we'll get this out the door soon. The changes between .313 and .329 comprise a large portion of what I was planning to accomplish in the 6.15 timeframe - so to some extent, this release helps us get ahead of the game.

SleepKirby
Veteran
Projects: Eastern Starlight Romance, Touhou Mecha
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#98 Post by SleepKirby »

Just got around to trying this out (6.14.0.329 for now). I must say the script navigation in the launcher is really, really slick, even if I don't think I have an immediate use for anything except the TODO search (which I will definitely be using).

One error I got with the TODO search though: if the TODO comment has brackets [ ] or curly braces { }, the launcher will try and read the [ ] as variable interpolations and the { } as text tags. In my case, this results in a crash of the launcher (with an exception like "Unknown text tag" in the curly brace case). I guess special characters like these should be escaped before being displayed in the TODO list?

Edit: A couple of additional things I noticed along with the above launcher crash.
(1) When I click the Quit button on the crashed launcher, I get a traceback.txt saying almost exactly the same thing as jack_norton's memory leak traceback two posts up, except mine says "48 Renders are alive at shutdown".
(2) The traceback.txt opens in a new Editra window, instead of as a tab in the Editra window I currently have open. The script navigation features don't have this issue though; they open script files in a tab of the current Editra window, as they should.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#99 Post by PyTom »

The TODO code needs to be fixed, but it should be an easy fix - just adding some quoting to the right places.

(1) Is a bug I'll work on.

(2) is intentional - when the game crashes, you generally want the traceback to pop up.

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#100 Post by michi 18 »

excuse me but is there anything you can do about the Editra ? It still wont work ive done all you have said in this forum though ,still.........nothing happened
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#101 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

Ah, yes! Works perfectly now. Was it something related to persistent data?

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#102 Post by nyaatrap »

jack_norton wrote:Was playtesting Loren for long time, like 1h playing session with several load/save, and when I quit the game, I got this strange error (never seen before):

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Intel 2120\Downloads\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 228, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\Intel 2120\Downloads\renpy-6.14.0-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 364, in main
  File "render.pyx", line 91, in renpy.display.render.check_at_shutdown (gen\renpy.display.render.c:1473)
While I was testing some GUI animation with Ren'Py 6.14.0.329, this error keep occurring several times. It appears randomly after I opened the quit screen, then click "No". Tried several times but I couldn't figure out conditions. sometime does, sometime doesn't.
traceback.txt
(3.23 KiB) Downloaded 340 times

apricotorange
Veteran

#103 Post by apricotorange »

See http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 32&t=15912 for a reproducible variant of the "KeyError: 'mm'" issue; it's not new in 6.14.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#104 Post by PyTom »

I've uploaded 6.14.0.344.

The big changes here are additional performance improvements to video playback - especially on low-end machines, like my Atom-powered netbook. This was accomplished by auditing the software to move as much of the video playback expense from the CPU to GPU, and trying to make the remaining paths more suitable for in-order processors.

Other movie-related changes include:

* Movies do not stop on window resize. (They stop on fullscreen on the software renderer, but not opengl.)
* The underlay (shift+D, shift+G, escape, etc) is enabled when movie playback is occuring.
* Several fixes to the movie playback code to make it compile without warnings in libav, and to (hopefully) make it compile at all when linked against ffmpeg.

Other changes:

* The TODO bug has been fixed.
* ANGLE can now be used by Ren'Py.
* We no longer check for render leaks if error handling has occured.
* We prevent the lack of a size_group from causing an error.

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#105 Post by michi 18 »

Uhm where did you upload it mam?
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.