[Wish] Sound modulation in Ren'Py

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

[Wish] Sound modulation in Ren'Py

#1 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I know it's highly unlikely, but I thought I would be cheeky enough to throw this idea out there. For every 5,000 crazy ideas, occasionally one or two good ones get through.

Something I would love to see in Ren'Py is the ability to alter sounds to some degree, such as pitch or playback speed.
This could have the potential to make voice samples reusable, by allowing the same audio to sound like it was said by different characters.

The main benefits of this would be allowing more variety within a game that has a lot of characters without requiring more voice actors, but without dramatically increasing file size.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Ziassan
Veteran

Re: [Wish] Sound modulation in Ren'Py

#2 Post by Ziassan »

Oh, yes - yes !
I thought about making a thread on this subject but beleived it wouldn't get any interest.

Seriously, it would be really great and allow many good things.
As music/sound director in some VN and programmer, I feel being restricted by the possibilites to play with the audio in Ren'py.
To give an example... When you have a normal rain sound ambience... and then the character enter the building... just using a low-pass filter (decreasing the high frequencies) make the rain sounding like being from outside. And that kind of trick work for a lot of things.

I made some search in the audio possibilities of python but well... this language is still a bit new to me. The perfect thing would be to be allowed to handle the VST proccess, but it's asking a bit too much I think, even if it could allow real time tweaking (reverb and infinite other possibilites, like real-time generation of music through VST instruments).

Even the basics would be great, and could avoid duplication of sound files i.e. decreasing the file size and increasing the audio immersion for readers.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

If someone is willing to develop this - and maintain it going forwards - I'd be willing to consider adding it. But I'm probably not going to spend time on it myself, due to the limited amount of time I can spend on Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mardhol

#4 Post by Mardhol »

Anyone in 2021 has done it :-D? It would be awesome to reduce game size and make FX associated to visual variations

Mardhol

#5 Post by Mardhol »

Bump for the community. Because the last patch add new graphic possibilities (blur...), what about sound ? It's clearly a must have. I swear I will not spam anymore but I tried...

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

First time I've seen this thread.
What kind of audio modulation are you in need of?

I found this via a quick search: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/403 ... ing-python
Since Ren'Py is built on Python, it might work. Try adding the libraries and see how it goes from there.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Mardhol

#7 Post by Mardhol »

Thank you for the reply. I'll check asap :). I'm coding and checking the forum only in my spare time because I got many work to do (sadly :p).

Note : the link you share is related to frequency modulation: THAT's a really good beginning if it works.
I haven't time to test it now So I'll come back later to say if yes or not it is working (to excited) :).

->On the link, the guy answering a code to do a sliding effect because he uses this modulation over time, but we could do a lot more !
Without time variable, you can use a same sound file (the sound of a C on a piano for example) to do all the sounds on a piano by preseting differente frequencies!
You save lot of space...
You can do the same with FX sounds like "low kick", "high kick"...with a single file. And do different loop of music which changes tone according to the mood ...

it remains to find the python code for:
-compression modulation
-sustain modulation
-attack modulation
-decay modulation
-pitch modulation
-reverb modulation
-low pass filter
-high pass filter

If I find it I'll post here :)

Arath Sin
itch: arath-sin

#8 Post by Arath Sin »

A low pass filter would be fantastic, as it's currently what I'm using Audacity for to simulate "the music is another room". Being able to play a background track and seamlessly apply a low pass filter to it when the scene changes would be _amazing_.