Swscale-2.dll Error

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
ZaqazDeath
Regular

Swscale-2.dll Error

#1 Post by ZaqazDeath »

Error Message: "The ordinal 250 could not be located in the dynamic link library swscale-2.dll".
Description: Every time I try to run Renpy, this error message pops up. If I press ok, it comes back again and again and this continues for several OKs. (A lot)
Temporary Fix: I found out that Renpy's swscale-2.dll conflicts with another swscale-2.dll from "Razer Game Booster". Moving or deleting the swscale-2.dll in Razer Game Booster's folders allows Renpy to run, but Razer Game Booster doesn't work anymore. Sometimes, even Skype is affected by swscale-2.dll, whether Razer Game Booster's or Renpy's.
Request: Please either fix the program to run smoothly with the agressive Razer Game Booster, or instruct me on how to fix it permanently.
Date of Error: I assume the error started a few months after Razer bought it from IObit, and then changed the UI.

I'm at my wit's end. I love Renpy, but I love Razer Game Booster also. I don't want to get rid of neither of them. Plz help. :cry:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Swscale-2.dll Error

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest filing a bug on game booster.

Ren'Py ships its own copy of swscale-2.dll, and expects that to be the copy that's used. (Swscale-2.dll is part of libav, which changes fairly rapidly.) If something changes that, Ren'Py will stop working. That's not something I can fix, since game booster is apparently overriding the search path that ren'py uses to find dlls.

I don't see how the swscale-2.dll that ships with Ren'Py could affect skype in any way.

EDIT:

http://forums.iobit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56 seems to be the right place to report bugs in game booster.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ZaqazDeath
Regular

#3 Post by ZaqazDeath »

Well. I moved Razer Game Booster's swscale-2.dll and ran it. It went horrible.
I moved Renpy's swscale-2.dll and ran it. No errors at all.
What does swscale-2.dll do? Is it important? Renpy runs so far with no error without it.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Its involved in format conversion for video playback in Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom