RenPy and Bloat

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
carroll6
Regular

RenPy and Bloat

#1 Post by carroll6 »

Bandwidth is always a consideration. What bloats RenPy? For instance, does it automatically include ALL of the graphics and sound files in the "game" directory, even if they are not used?

I like to put snippets and ##rem them out, so they I can cut/paste/find/replace.. such as a {color} tag. Same with #ZOOM, and #IMAGEMAP procedures. AND.. I like to put #image "renpy.jpg" etc, including all the graphic files in my directory, so I can just activate them by removing the #. Does this bloat Renpy? I have been using OGG files for the audio. I feel that Audio effects really help your story move along.

I use RIOT to squish the JPG's down.

Can I use as much text as I want? I mean.. could I make "War and Peace" into a 16MB novel?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: RenPy and Bloat

#2 Post by PyTom »

Yes, Ren'Py includes every file in the game/ directory, unless you explicitly tell it to exclude some using build.classify().
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

carroll6
Regular

Re: RenPy and Bloat

#3 Post by carroll6 »

Ah thank you. I thought that was right. I am in the process of gathering images, fixing them, and thinking about the story line My bellmark, what do you call it, inspiration is MadeFire's "Houses of the Holy" series on Deviant art. It's a motion comic. I counted the images the other day- they use 60 images for that issue. These are sold in issues, of an ongoing story. His works pretty good. You got to have a good storyline, something unusual.