Help with simple RPG mechanics

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
GideonFletcher

Help with simple RPG mechanics

#1 Post by GideonFletcher »

SO I've been meaning to use Ren'Py to make a simple text rpg. However trying approach this has proven difficult since the wiki is a bit unclear on how things work and its also outdated. Does anyone know a good way to approach this?

mobychan
Veteran
Projects: The Chosen - Sakura Pink & Gentian Blue
Organization: Foresoft

Re: Help with simple RPG mechanics

#2 Post by mobychan »

Maybe you should try starting with the documentation?
http://renpy.org/doc/html/

And the search function should be helpful as well ;)
If you have something concrete you want to know we can still help^^

GideonFletcher

#3 Post by GideonFletcher »

Well one thing I would like some help would be menu design. My idea is that i have X amount of buttons on screen at all times. Some will have functions that never change while others will change depending on whether or not a a player is in combat. If you played Corruption of Champions that is the best example I can give. I can explain each button if you'd like?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

Again, you should read the documentation.
First read the QuickStart.
Then when you want to deal with buttons you'll want to look at the Screen Language section of the documentation. What you describe is really just a screen with some buttons on it. Go do that, make a test game where you try out some of the basics (making a screen, putting some buttons on it...etc).
When you've done that, then ask more specific questions in the Questions thread.

If you want to make an RPG, you are going to want to use variables (hit points, something to say if you are in combat or not, boob size, whatever)....if you don't know anything about what a variable is...the most basic is covered in the quickstart...but I'd recommend taking the basic python course from codeacademy.com
It is free and doesn't take too long, but gives a basic idea of Python for when you want to do complicated things like your battle engine, inventory, etc.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978