About resize

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
mahoop
Regular

About resize

#1 Post by mahoop »

Does resize images when using "show" can turn the game slower?

After I start to use greater images and resize them to keep better resolution, I have the impression that the game skip some steps like "dissolve" or sometime the text goes as I'm using the "fast" function.

This happens sometimes and I don't have a clue why. I can pass two times by the same part and one time it happens and the other don't...

this is my "show" code>

Code: Select all

show main_character:
        size (992,1403)
        xpos .5 ypos 0.4 xanchor 0.5 yanchor 0.2
My game default screen size is: 1280x720
The original image is: 2480x3508

@EDIT

Before I start using bigger images the game was working perfectly.
I was using even the "resize" function too.
I'm asking if the resize of bigger images could be the problem, because if don't, probably it can be something related to my computer.(I don't have other to test)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: About resize

#2 Post by PyTom »

It should be a slight-bit slower. Images will load slower, but that takes place in the background, so it usually shouldn't be visible to players. There are some issues with fill and texture rate, but I doubt your game is limited by those.

A big issue is that when you go from 2480 to 992, you're scaling down to less than half the original size. That's going to cause some visual artifacts, which might not look as good.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mahoop
Regular

Re: About resize

#3 Post by mahoop »

PyTom wrote:It should be a slight-bit slower. Images will load slower, but that takes place in the background, so it usually shouldn't be visible to players. There are some issues with fill and texture rate, but I doubt your game is limited by those.

A big issue is that when you go from 2480 to 992, you're scaling down to less than half the original size. That's going to cause some visual artifacts, which might not look as good.
They keeping the resolution, but for some reason the dissolve after show It is being ignored, if i try to move the image (linear .5 xpos 0.25) the image appears directly on the final spot. Just blink from point A to point B.

@EDIT

Yup, the size of the images is the problem. I tried with the old images and it back to normal. I think I'll have to find a half term between resolution and performance.