Create template translations

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

Create template translations

#1 Post by xavimat »

I'm trying to create a Spanish translation of the strings used in the games (not the entire launcher, only the text that the final user, the gamer, will see), but I can't find how to do it. (It was possible with the old gui).

Some strings are translated, but when generating a new project, they aren't used (for example, the "Are you sure...?" strings of the confirmation screen).

Also, creating a "piglatin" translation of the launcher from scratch, translates some of the strings, but not all of them, see the Preferences screen here:
screenshot0001.png
It doesn't translate the three sentences of Eileen.
It translates the comments (with ##) in script.rpy, options.rpy and gui.rpy, but not the comments in screens.rpy.

I'm interested in translating only the strings and text that the player will see, not the developer part. I think it can be useful to have this part translated, and easier to maintain.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Create template translations

#2 Post by nyaatrap »

Bump.
Even that error is fixed, I couldn't find a way to make a template translation for new gui.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

For the new GUI, you translate the launcher. The launcher translations include everything in the new GUI - including the comments.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

The more I think about it, the more I think that the new GUI might not be up to being translated into Japanese quite yet - I think we need better support for setting things like default fonts. I'll work on that soonish, so you can try it out.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

As an experiment, I created a brazilian_portuguese translation of the launcher. I also created a new brazilian_portuguese template. There's a portuguese template shipped with Ren'Py for some time, but that's only a partial translation of the Spanish template and it has some problems.
I followed the steps suggested here to do the translation. I've tested it, and the translated launcher seems to be working fine.
Ren'Py launcher in Portuguese
Ren'Py launcher in Portuguese
Oops! I forgot to add ## to a translated comment.
Oops! I forgot to add ## to a translated comment.
Some problems appeared when trying to create projects using the new language: some parts of the GUI will always appear in English, even though there's a corresponding translation file. The date format and the names of months and days of the week, especially, seem to never change in the new GUI. screens.rpy, and the alert messages of the yes/no screen seem to always keep ignoring the translation files.
preferences.png
savescreen.png
yesnoscreen.png
Of course I'm aware that many of those problems are probably my fault. :)
Overall, despite the many hours spent typing away, it was a fun experience working on the translation (and it also helped me to better understand many things).
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#6 Post by nyaatrap »

There might be some other issues, but the main issue is launcher/game/tl/**/common.rpy and /***ttf will not be included in a new GUI project.