A bug within renpy

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: A bug within renpy

#31 Post by firecat »

xela wrote:
xela wrote:with a bit of effort
(and cause you star catgirl in your game :) )

1) Create a new project in .11 and pick the New GUI design of your choice.
2) Delete script.rpy, script.rpyc, options.rpy, options.rpyc, screens.rpy and screens.rpyc assuming they exist in this new project you've created.
3) Delete options.rpy, options.rpyc, screens.rpy and screens.rpyc assuming they exist in your original project.
4) Delete cache and saves folders in your original project.
5) Copy everything that remains from your original project into the new project.
6) Add the two files attached to this post to the new project.

===========================>>>
Your saga and battle minigame should now work with the New GUI design, at least they do for me.
You forgot that two_window existed before the GUI bug, meaning my game cant run without two_window. ignoring the bug just leads to the same error. this just proves how much GUI bugged everything.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1420, in script
    "Chapter 3.0: Water vs Rock"
Exception: Unknown keyword arguments: side_image, two_window

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 603, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\exports.py", line 1135, in say
    who(what, interact=interact)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\character.py", line 873, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\character.py", line 719, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\character.py", line 484, in display_say
    what_text = show_function(who, what_string)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\character.py", line 702, in do_show
    **self.show_args)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\character.py", line 282, in show_display_say
    return renpy.display.screen.get_widget(screen, "what", layer)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 1176, in get_widget
    screen.update()
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 573, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 148, in apply_arguments
    return parameters.apply(args, kwargs, ignore_errors)
  File "C:\Users\angel\Desktop\renpy-6.99.11-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 136, in apply
    raise Exception("Unknown keyword arguments: %s" % ( ", ".join(values.keys())))

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1749
The Unknowns Saga Vol 3 0.0

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#32 Post by xela »

firecat wrote: You forgot that two_window existed before the GUI bug, meaning my game cant run without two_window. ignoring the bug just leads to the same error. this just proves how much GUI bugged everything.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
[/quote]

I couldn't find either one in the script file you gave me or the one in your game. It works on my end with those two files: https://youtu.be/NZoX4LvUWSI

I don't know how else to help you :(
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by firecat »

I know what happen, you changed the code to match the new GUI not stick to the old code from the script.

volume3 code from screens.rpy:
https://codeshare.io/21yqB2

new gui project, unchanged:
https://codeshare.io/aV4v62

as you can see the codes are not the same, which is why there is so much fighting within the engine code. Gui is the main problem with many of the cookbook and this is why i keep saying the gui is the problem. there is so much changed that once i had removed gui it become normal but with a few errors.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by xela »

Yeah, that was the idea. In the same way you can rewrite ui code to screen language, I've rewritten old styled gui code to new gui style, the files I attached to the post contain the changes made. After I've created a new shiny project in .12 (same as .11 for the purpose), I did exactly what I described in the instructions (using original resources from the game and the original script file but with edited screen and options files + new gui stuff).

It worked out really well and the game is working just fine.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by firecat »

xela wrote:Yeah, that was the idea. In the same way you can rewrite ui code to screen language, I've rewritten old styled gui code to new gui style, the files I attached to the post contain the changes made. After I've created a new shiny project in .12 (same as .11 for the purpose), I did exactly what I described in the instructions (using original resources from the game and the original script file but with edited screen and options files + new gui stuff).

It worked out really well and the game is working just fine.
it only works for you because its what many developers called it "developer working computer", basically any project you make works for you because of a special rule or program but not for everyone who do not have the same code or program. you said it was made in .12 well what you didnt know is that each version of renpy is closely connected to each other. so this means somewhere in version .12 the answer to fixing everything must be there.