New NVL Mode problems with dynamic height

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

New NVL Mode problems with dynamic height

#1 Post by Ryue »

As soon as in gui.rpy the following is done:

Code: Select all

define gui.nvl_height = None
The nvl mode breaks as soon as you have 2 or 3 lines in a few of your say statements (else it does not break as long as you don't have more lines than what you defined as height...for example 3 lines ~ 60 height at a text size of 18).

Edit as addon this mostly happens when you have more than 3 lines you display. Thus for example a nvl list_length of 15+:
define config.nvl_list_length = 15 (in screens.rpy)

For an example what I mean with break (it writes out of the window):

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: New NVL Mode problems with dynamic height

#2 Post by Ryue »

One point to add here which is quite interesting:
When I scroll upwards (aka reading the old read texts) it does NOT break. Only when NEW texts are printed.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gas »

I don't see the point.
Setting None as height, it's your responsibility to clear the screen when near the bottom. As always.
Having a fixed height serve you to something like auto clear the screen when a number of tenses are shown (a code you have to do on your own in nvl screen).

Rollback use an entirely different system.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Ryue »

gas wrote:I don't see the point.
Setting None as height, it's your responsibility to clear the screen when near the bottom. As always.
Having a fixed height serve you to something like auto clear the screen when a number of tenses are shown (a code you have to do on your own in nvl screen).

Rollback use an entirely different system.
Its more there though.....At least in my program I have texts that are between 1 and 3 lines long (very rarely 4). Which means that if I set the "height" to 4 it looks VERY VERY bad (ever tried to use a text that is having 3 new lines between 2 lines of text?). When I set it to 2 or 3 then I have the problem that I don't need to watch for the very short lines but need to watch VERY closely for the 4 lines....as I have no indication of how much text I REALLY can use (thanks to fonts never using same width..always). Thus I need to test out EVERY little text to see if I need a nvl clear. Thus I have MUCH text parts without nvl clear and then suddenly I start clearing the screen which is an interruption of rythm and thus also an interruption of immersion (at least to me it is quite a heavy interruption of immersion when that happens).
And when doing the nvl in a rythm instead you better never have to rewrite a line or scratch it after betas test as you tehn need to redo the WHOLE text including nvl clears.

A bit much text but I hope it gets clearly across why I find it very cumbersome.

From what I know about rollback the system there is so different that I couldn't use it for the normal text (am I correct there?).
But still it shows that it is POSSIBLE that nvl with none can be used for a REAL dynamic height (which according to the docu None should be) without any problems.....