Documentation: init vs default vs define

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Documentation: init vs default vs define

#1 Post by trooper6 »

Hello! Using default to declare variables has been best practices since 6.99.4, but no one seems to know it and it comes up again and again. Someone pointed out that the quickstart doesn't use default, but still uses the old init declaration method.

I think it would be great if the Quickstart could be updated to reflect new best practices of using default to declare variables. It might also be nice if the documentation were clearer about the differences between default and define and when you'd use one rather than the other.

Thanks!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Documentation: init vs default vs define

#2 Post by nyaatrap »

Quickstart has many more problems, like image definition and such. It needs to be rewritten fundamentally, though I don't know when ren'py will go to 7.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Documentation: init vs default vs define

#3 Post by gas »

... and I'm soooo tired of that Sylvie, too.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN