ISAWHIM's Wishlist

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
ISAWHIM
Veteran

Re: ISAWHIM's Wishlist

#16 Post by ISAWHIM »

I don't really have a choice in the matter...

What you said wasn't harsh, it was, for the majority, sadly true...

My issue is with the inconsistent formats, more than the compilers, or the languages, "lack of humanity or logic".

Things are being told to be done one way, and they still don't work, or they only work in specific spots, and work entirely different in another, or have a totally different output, using the SAME EXACT code. (Fine, hold me to LeEtHaXxOr names... but make them actually function, the same, everywhere. Otherwise, what is the point.)

0 and 1 are used, because "boolean value" is a single "bit", which is either a 0 or a 1. (off or on), True and False are slang-uses that were invented years later, as were Yes and No and Set or Unset. (Unset and set when attached to a normal variable/string, as a "bit", to identify if it has been given a value or not.)

This is the ONLY language, that I know of, which demands that it be "True", and not accepting "true", or "1" as an acceptable "value". Again, this is values here, not functions and code.

Forcing things to case-fixing annoys about 50% of the world, and leads to more unidentifiable errors, that kill IDE's and code, and gets people fired... When simply accepting case-insensitive code, would annoy no-one, and would NOT drive the IDE into any kind of crying fit.. because IDE's don't care what the case is... Unless you tell them to care... and that is when they "cry"... All functions are reduced to numbers and "symbols", they do not use "Bob" and "bOb" and "boB" anywhere in the compiled code, unless it is a string, or a string-function-call to an external program/dll, which requires that string-name.

But, anyways...

Computers and programs were supposed to make everything easier, not stupidly more difficult, for no reason... and writing "one way", to appease other programmers, is also irrelevant. You want it another way, code that format into your IDE to change it into that oddball restricted, and limiting format that requires slower thinking to process if something is camel-toe formatted text or hump-back-whale format.

This is why python is still so demanding of "help", because of the formatting issues. (Just like javascript, which is the same exact way, and also the number-1 reason people are still constantly living in help-forums and spending less time actually coding anything functional, without human over-sighted errors that even compilers can't detect, with this stuff.)

But, anyways... it is still "MY wish", as well as everyone who ever ran into these issues. Which is a greater majority of every one who abandoned python for any other language that doesn't have camel-toes and whale-humps.

The irony is... You are defending "the way they do it", which is exactly not the way "anyone-else ever did it". By that same respect, if they just "followed everyone's standards" and remove case-sensitivity, there wouldn't be anything new to learn, and none of these issues. They created these issues, for what reason? To be LeEt...

It's like the world today... Even when everyone speaks the same exact language, no-one understands one another. Ironic!

Apa
Regular

Re: Ren'Py 6.99.12 Released

#17 Post by Apa »

Human Bolt Diary wrote:Get an IDE. There's Ren'py plugins for many of them.
Ren'py newbie here.
Which IDE + Ren'py plugin would you recommend?
Do they support local debugging?
I do use MS VS (2015 currently) for the most of my work (coding,debugging,profiling,etc). It’s far from perfect... but I got emotionally attached to VS after so many years spend together. :oops:

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: ISAWHIM's Wishlist

#18 Post by philat »

You do realize the irony of ranting "you want it another way, code it another way" when you are using the product of someone else's labor and complaining that it isn't exactly to your arbitrary preferences? No one's stopping you from creating your own perfect language and your own perfect engine.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: Ren'Py 6.99.12 Released

#19 Post by Divona »

Apa wrote:
Human Bolt Diary wrote:Get an IDE. There's Ren'py plugins for many of them.
Ren'py newbie here.
Which IDE + Ren'py plugin would you recommend?
Do they support local debugging?
I do use MS VS (2015 currently) for the most of my work (coding,debugging,profiling,etc). It’s far from perfect... but I got emotionally attached to VS after so many years spend together. :oops:
From a quick search, I found Ren'Py Language Support for Visual Studio Code. It is different from Visual Studio 2015, but probably close enough to what you're looking for.

Personally, I'm happy with Atom.io with Ren'Py support plugin. (Funny enough, both VS Code and Atom are based on Electron framework.
Completed: