Touch Screen Support for Windows?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
lootsmuggler

Touch Screen Support for Windows?

#1 Post by lootsmuggler »

Are there any plans to provide touch screen support for Windows? (Or Mac OS X or Linux for that matter.)

Touch screen support is included with newer versions of Windows, but some amount of programming has to be done for it to actually be included in a game. From what I've heard, it's a lot of work. And it's completely separate from providing the essential touch screen support for Android or IOS. It might not be worth supporting it for a single visual novel, but Ren'Py is used in a ton of visual novels. If you write support for it once, every game anyone makes with it will have touch screen support.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome, so using touch screens is much easier for me. And I'm sure there's alot of people who would just rather lie in bed and play a visual novel on their touch screen than sit at their desktop computer. I have to admit that I don't know how much demand there is for this, and I don't know how hard it is to code.

If you want touch screen support for Windows in your Ren'Py games, post here to tell the developers that you support this suggestion. Or post here to tell them how much you hate touch screen support.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Touch Screen Support for Windows?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Ren'Py worked just fine on my (malfunctioning) touchscreen enabled laptop with Windows 8.0 when I last tried.

Which games in particular are you having difficulty with?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

lootsmuggler

Re: Touch Screen Support for Windows?

#3 Post by lootsmuggler »

It was the demo for Planet Stronghold. After reading this, I tried it again, and the touch screen worked.

I had also tried Loren the Amazon Princess previously but had it crash and then just gave up. I tried it again today, and it also worked.

So... I guess just pretend I never said anything.