Editra on Mac Problems

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Editra on Mac Problems

#1 Post by trooper6 »

I updated to High Sierra and also the newest Renpy about the same time. And recently I tried to open up editor to work on my VN and no joy. Every time I try to launch Editra, a popup shows up simply saying "Editra Error"...and the Renpy window shows the error: "An exception occurred while launching the text editor: Exception: Launching Editra failed.

I've redownloaded the newest Editra listed on the Ren'Py site and that doesn't fix the problem either. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem because no one responded to my post on Questions, but I thought PyTom might want to know about this in case it isn't just me.

Also, advice what to do? Should I move to a different editor?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Editra on Mac Problems

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

For what it's worth, I can run Editra 0.6.99 with the newest version of Ren'Py on High Sierra. It always gives me an error the first time I try to open it (and has been doing this now for the past few OS and Ren'Py updates), but it usually works fine on the second try.

At one point, I had the same problem you were having and was able to get around it by opening Editra without the Ren'Py launcher and manually finding the script files. I don't know what changed, but eventually the problem just kinda went away.

Not sure if any of this helps, just thought I'd give more info on my experience with this issue too!

Image Image

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Editra on Mac Problems

#3 Post by trooper6 »

So I've done some experiments and this is what I've found out.

I downloaded a fresh copy of both Renpy and Editra.
If Editra is in the Renpy Folder, it prompts the error and won't open.
I Editra is in my Applications Folder, I can open it manually.

I don't know why Editra in the renpy directory throws errors and Editra in the Application folder doesn't. Any idea?
So note: to solve my problems at the moment, I deleted Editra from the renpy folder, placed Editra in my applications folder, had rpy files automatically open in Editra and then chose System Editor as my default editor. So that works. But I feel there is some larger problem here.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978