Project Ideas

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Project Ideas

#1 Post by PyTom »

This thread contains ideas for projects people can do to help out Ren'Py development. I'll be updating this first post occasionally to add ideas for new projects people can work on. I'll try to keep these small enough that they could be accomplished in a few days, and yet they could yield an improvement in the quality of Ren'Py games.

Image Map Menu Templates

The idea here would be to create some sort of photoshop template that could be used to make imagemap menus. The templates would have pre-defined regions into which the game-maker could insert their menu images. There would also have to be a .rpy file, that maps those regions to buttons. (This might wind up in the Cookbook, but it would really help people out in making games.)

Added: 2009-04-19

New Default Theme

The RoundRect theme is getting kinda old, and was never all that good looking in the first place. It would be nice to ship a future version of Ren'Py (7.0?) with a new default theme, giving new games a more modern look. Creating a theme involves defining a new look for the buttons, frames, sliders, and bars. Ideally, this would be a family of themes, parameterized on a few colors.

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Fang-tan
Regular

Re: Project Ideas

#2 Post by Fang-tan »

The new theme is a good idea I think. Maybe also a way to switch between the new layout and the old (current) one like you switch through the theme colours? Although I guess that could be sort of complicated maybe...
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Loli Salad~ Music, Doujin, Touhou, Umineko and Anime
(previously I was Hashihime~)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Fang-tan wrote:The new theme is a good idea I think. Maybe also a way to switch between the new layout and the old (current) one like you switch through the theme colours? Although I guess that could be sort of complicated maybe...
That's being vaguely planned. I'll probably rewrite the launcher within a few versions.

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#4 Post by delta »

PyTom wrote: Image Map Menu Templates

The idea here would be to create some sort of photoshop template that could be used to make imagemap menus. The templates would have pre-defined regions into which the game-maker could insert their menu images. There would also have to be a .rpy file, that maps those regions to buttons. (This might wind up in the Cookbook, but it would really help people out in making games.)

Like this? I don't really see what's the big use for this is, since people will want to change the dimensions of the buttons anyway... but it's a nice demonstration, I guess.
Attachments
mm_template.zip
The regular Ren'Py main menu implemented as an ugly imagemap.
(30.87 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

Something like that... but I'd like it if the areas were a bit larger, so artists could do more.

delta
Epitome of Generic

#6 Post by delta »

Well, that's pretty pointless in my opinion, since the whole idea is to customize the look, and whatever you do, you'll never fit the look the developer actually wants (unless they don't care, in which case they should be fine with the baseline defaults).

Not to mention that it's totally trivial (it took me 10 minutes, from reading the request to submitting the post, and I had no prior experience with imagemaps), and I seriously don't want to play a game made by someone too thick to comprehend this even after seeing a working example like the one above. Finally, making an example you are comfortable with should take yourself no more than 10 minutes either.

blakjak
Veteran

#7 Post by blakjak »

Like this? I don't really see what's the big use for this is, since people will want to change the dimensions of the buttons anyway... but it's a nice demonstration, I guess.
Heh that's good, any chance you could show the way to customizing the other game menus ?

delta
Epitome of Generic

#8 Post by delta »

Well, here's the game menu at least. Maybe I'll do the others as well, but the preferences in particular do indeed get rather elaborate.
Attachments
gm_template.zip
(99.93 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

blakjak
Veteran

#9 Post by blakjak »

Well, here's the game menu at least.

Nice, thank you.
Maybe I'll do the others as well,
Please do if you can, that'd be very useful.
but the preferences in particular do indeed get rather elaborate.
They surely do.

On a side note, what is that avatar of yours from ? Is it a blowtorch weapon she's holding ?

Jake
Support Hero

#10 Post by Jake »

blakjak wrote: On a side note, what is that avatar of yours from ? Is it a blowtorch weapon she's holding ?
It's the Mary sprite from Moonlight Walks with a gun from Musashi Gundou.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

blakjak
Veteran

#11 Post by blakjak »

Thanks. I love Monkey punch's designs.
The series has been infamous for hideously bad animation, and has attracted a cult following for this reason.
interesting :D

edit : Mary's darkside ?

edit² : ok forget it, I got the picture.