Dynamic layout of assets in Ren'Py

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
NeoGeonode
Completed: TBD
Projects: TBD

Dynamic layout of assets in Ren'Py

#1 Post by NeoGeonode »

Hi all

I have a question regarding the way we display in Ren'py resources.

Usually this is a matter of SDL2 embed in the Renpy, but I have some questions regarding this topic

I found a way to do automatic scalling in Renpy, but it seems that usage of im.resize will have detrimental effects not only on the original asset view, but also, detrimental issues while running several assets in screen, so:
  • Is it a good idea to do something like that, considering that pysdl is always using a virtual area to determine final target?
Also, I assume pysdl2 is DPI aware, please correct me I think it is nice to keep some concordance on the final asset usage vs target resolution.
  • Is this, doing resize at runtime, a real problem?, Detrimental effects on performance while doing im.resize of bigger assets to smaller ones?
  • If yes, should i need to consider to, instead, get all possible target assets and just select the appropiate at beginning?
My concern in this part is about having a problem on doing at each time, resize of bigger assets to smaller ones.

Considerations for the problem are:
  • Assets would be for widescreen and stretch screens
  • 16:9 shall be used when 16:9 resolution is target, same goes for 4:3
NeoGeonode

:!: People is looking for new experiences, that gives them knowledge, experience and of course, money whereas.