Featured Ren'Py Games

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Featured Ren'Py Games

#46 Post by DaFool »

If anyone else hasn't realized it by now, Spirited Heart's bestselling status among the casual indie titles singularly put Ren'Py on the map more than all the weeaboo efforts out there. I can't believe I'm actually reading threads by professional developers who now consider Ren'Py alongside Game Studio, Torque, and BlitzMax. So now even Ms. Short is mentioning Ren'Py, despite lack of any particular game. We have a lot to be thankful for.

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#47 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Yay! That's good for the Renpy community in general! :D It should be getting more publicity and notice now.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#48 Post by Counter Arts »

DaFool wrote:If anyone else hasn't realized it by now, Spirited Heart's bestselling status among the casual indie titles singularly put Ren'Py on the map more than all the weeaboo efforts out there. I can't believe I'm actually reading threads by professional developers who now consider Ren'Py alongside Game Studio, Torque, and BlitzMax. So now even Ms. Short is mentioning Ren'Py, despite lack of any particular game. We have a lot to be thankful for.
It's about time other people noticed. I said it before and I'll say it again. Ren'py is RIDICULOUSLY powerful. No DirectX 3D required! A little imagination and you can take Ren'py far.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

Jake
Support Hero

#49 Post by Jake »

Counter Arts wrote: Ren'py is RIDICULOUSLY powerful. No DirectX 3D required!
. . .

Ren'Py is a nice toolset for developing visual novels and other applications with similar UI requirements, sure, but in terms of graphics work it's seriously underpowered even for the things it does do. If you try and do anything remotely complex with it then it nearly always ends up hogging 100% of your CPU time, thanks to busy-waiting, which makes it pretty unsuitable for writing games where things are moving all the time. 100% CPU = flat laptop battery in record time, and also often causes problems on more heat-sensitive desktop PCs.

The lack of DirectX/OpenGL utilisation means that it can run on older or badly-set-up computers, except those computers generally fail to perform well when you start doing complex things anyway, so you're still practically limited to a simple and motionless interface, or baked movies. On the other hand, you could also call it a lack of DirectX/OpenGL support, which would allow it to do cooler things more easily and should alleviate the heavy CPU use - even when it's not busy-waiting it uses more CPU than it needs to on modern machines because it's doing all the transforms and drawing on the CPU instead of delegating them to the GPU.

Ren'Py is a powerful VN engine, but it's not a powerful general game engine.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#50 Post by delta »

brb writing an FPS in Ren'Py. I'll call it Ren'Cry.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#51 Post by killdream »

Jake wrote:Ren'Py is a powerful VN engine, but it's not a powerful general game engine.
As its basis is PyGame, that uses SDL, you can do pretty much various kinds of 2d games (though PyGame is a _really_ high level implementation of SDL, so isn't _that_ realiable for some games, but maybe they can make up for that with the new version). But if software rendering isn't fit to your game (that is, if you want to do a game that updates the entire screen at every frame, or just want some 3d things), using OpenGL is ridiculous easy with pygame, you just need to download and import pyopengl in the project (of course, openGL knowledge is a must).

delta
Epitome of Generic

#52 Post by delta »

killdream wrote:
Jake wrote:Ren'Py is a powerful VN engine, but it's not a powerful general game engine.
As its basis is PyGame, that uses SDL, you can do pretty much various kinds of 2d games (though PyGame is a _really_ high level implementation of SDL, so isn't _that_ realiable for some games, but maybe they can make up for that with the new version). But if software rendering isn't fit to your game (that is, if you want to do a game that updates the entire screen at every frame, or just want some 3d things), using OpenGL is ridiculous easy with pygame, you just need to download and import pyopengl in the project (of course, openGL knowledge is a must).
In short, Ren'Py is fast when you use it for things it isn't meant to do and put in enough effort to effectively code your own engine from scratch. Cool.

#53 Post by Guest »

So the landscape of Ren'Py Games is similar to Xbox Community Games. Community Games is full of mediocrity, but its true spirit is giving everyone the chance to be a developer for the Xbox. It is entirely possible for a no-budget game that relies on emergent gameplay to become very popular due to viral marketing tactics.

What PyTom is essentially now asking for is the equivalent of XBLA... games that withstand a set of standards that guarantee a minimum experience for the gamer. It is expected that XBLA games tend to be projects undertaken by bigger teams with bigger budgets, or full-time developers.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Adorya »

delta wrote:brb writing an FPS in Ren'Py. I'll call it Ren'Cry.
Or Ren'4yurlife (horde of girls to run from, lesbian inside, tactical FPS).

Or Ren'of Novelcraft (meet people online trying to drill for the high end VN to the heaven, steal the source and claim your own, disband and drama insure, P2R MMOG)

Or Street of Ren'ovel (beat others VN with Mesatsu Hanakoken or Spinning snake tycoon but don't whiff or you'll get crossguarded and ultra storylined, FG)

:mrgreen:

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#55 Post by killdream »

Adorya wrote:Or Ren'4yurlife (horde of girls to run from, lesbian inside, tactical FPS).
I liked it, especially the yuri part *-*

Oh gosh, its no good to make a entirely off-topic like this. But I can't name any game for now as I have to play 'em yet.

delta
Epitome of Generic

#56 Post by delta »

Yo guise so I herd this thread was thoroughly off topic.

Songs of Araiah
Orochi Och... whatever
Heileen Demo

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#57 Post by usul »

That Orochi Och... whatever game doesn't hava a Linux version does it? It would be nice for teh featured games to make the effort (not a big one) to make all three platforms available.
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#58 Post by PyTom »

IIRC, Ori, Ochi, Onoe has a linux version on renai.us. Not sure how well it works, as it predates the modern Mac and Linux packaging scheme.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

#59 Post by lunasspecto »

I played a little bit of Ori, Ochi, Onoe using the Linux package on my 64-bit Ubuntu machine. It worked very well except that it crashed when I tried to switch from fullscreen to window mode.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#60 Post by usul »

It's been a while since I played it, but I remember having to play it on a windows machine because I couldn't get it to work on Linux. It might be the same problem, but as I said, it's been a while.
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller