updater for android

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Paw__

updater for android

#1 Post by Paw__ »

hii,
anybody knows how to make an updater in adnroid renpy vn. like a web updater

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

Re: updater for android

#2 Post by xavimat »

Web updater doesn't work on Android.
I think that Google play has its own version checker. If you upload a higher version, the users will be notified, depending on their settings. Maybe other stores work the same.

You can, on the other hand, make a web request from your game, for example to a json file on your web, and retrieve the information of the latest version. If the game is not the latest, inform the player that the game can be updated, maybe with instructions and a link.
See Pytom's Patreon article about "news". (He uses the requests library, I use the older urllib2).
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Paw__

#3 Post by Paw__ »

xavimat wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 am
You can, on the other hand, make a web request from your game, for example to a json file on your web, and retrieve the information of the latest version. If the game is not the latest, inform the player that the game can be updated, maybe with instructions and a link.
See Pytom's Patreon article about "news". (He uses the requests library, I use the older urllib2).
i want to use updater to download something in aandroid apps, for example my vn have a 2 storyline, and then i want to place additional storyline, so people who read can download the new storyline in their android apps, by just clicking download button.. can u tell me what step should i start?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can't use the updater to update your game, its against the security policy of most Android market places.

All you need to do, in your case, is have a dedicated screen that checks if an update is available, that much is allowed.
After that, a user will still have to update their app in the regular fashion, by using their device's market place or update manager.

Depending on how you manage your content, an update may not even be necessary - some apps grab their data from a webserver. This has upsides and downsides, such as you need to rent, manage and maintain a webserver as wwell as design your game to accomodate such features (by default, Ren'Py has the tools to do this, but none of them are included in a new project), you need to plan and manage everything, before beginning programming.

Its more hassle than its worth.

As an alternative, you may wish to look into DLC.
DLC should be acceptable on Android marketplaces, and functions as you desire - click to install.
The documentation has more info than I do.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter