Are there any plans for 3D model support?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Formedras
Regular
Projects: Ninja TK

Are there any plans for 3D model support?

#1 Post by Formedras »

The subject kinda says it all, huh?
I'm not asking for any kind of timeline, or any kind of promise. Just asking if any of the devs have the intent to support 3D models in Ren'Py at some time in the (likely distant) future. I know that Ren'Py has its primary focus on 2D imagery, but it would be interesting (to say the least) for a visual novel creator to be able to work with 3D environments and characters, such as in the latter two Zero Escape games.*

Such support wouldn't necessarily need to be much more than rudimentary. Models, or groups thereof, could be assigned as Displayables, needing only a camera angle (defaulting to a front view of the upper 3/4 of the model group) and an optional animation.
In theory, it should be simple. I know that in practice that's almost never going to be the case, though.

*For the uninitiated, the Zero Escape trilogy of games are hybrids of visual novels and room escape puzzlers, created by Spike Chunsoft. The first one, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, is a 2D game for the Nintendo DS. The second, Virtue's Last Reward, is a 3D game for the Nintendo 3DS and Sony PlayStation Vita. The final game, Zero Time Dilemma, is also a 3D game for those two systems as well as Windows and the PlayStation 4. All three games are now available for all four systems that Zero Time Dilemma was released on. Notably, (to the best of my knowledge) it was the Western popularity of 999 that eventually resulted in the full trilogy being made, with Japanese reception being somewhat lackluster.
http://www.google.com/profiles/tizalka
Current Project:
Ninja TK

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Are there any plans for 3D model support?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

As far as I am aware, no plans and its not easy (possible?) to do yourself.

There has been some developments regarding Live2D support recently, but I haven't been keeping up with that and I'm fairly sure its not official support.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter