Ren'Py PNG Error

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
borkingsparks
Projects: Peppy Love

Ren'Py PNG Error

#1 Post by borkingsparks »

My images (which are the .png file type) keep having this black background whenever it shows up in the game, I don't think I should show my code because I don't think it is because of that (if anyone asks, I will, though), but I wanted my images to show no background, these are for the sprites, not the backgrounds by the way, I hope someone will help me with this.

- Chloe

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Ren'Py PNG Error

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

What do you expect to see behind the sprites?
Are you positive the black isn't in the images themselves?
Did you save your PNG file with an alpha channel? If not, do you have access to the original artwork files, or not? If not, you can probably still create an alpha mask.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

borkingsparks

#3 Post by borkingsparks »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 pm What do you expect to see behind the sprites?
Are you positive the black isn't in the images themselves?
Did you save your PNG file with an alpha channel? If not, do you have access to the original artwork files, or not? If not, you can probably still create an alpha mask.
1. What I expect to see is just the background, no white or black surrounding the image
2. I am positive that the black isn't in the photos
3. Yes, I'm completely sure

TAEKO

#4 Post by TAEKO »

Have you tried using other sprites that have transparent backgrounds too aside from your own set?
Don't read me...
Seriously don't.
Just kidding. I'm just an awkward potato who doesn't know what to say in my signature...

borkingsparks

#5 Post by borkingsparks »

TAEKO wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 am Have you tried using other sprites that have transparent backgrounds too aside from your own set?
Just tried one, and it works. I don't know what I did wrong.

borkingsparks

#6 Post by borkingsparks »

borkingsparks wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm
TAEKO wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 am Have you tried using other sprites that have transparent backgrounds too aside from your own set?
Just tried one, and it works. I don't know what I did wrong.
"It works" as in, it's transparent and has no black background, i'm sure you knew that but I just wanted to make it clear

TAEKO

#7 Post by TAEKO »

Then that means that there is something quite wrong with the sprites you are using.
Could you upload a sample sprite?
Don't read me...
Seriously don't.
Just kidding. I'm just an awkward potato who doesn't know what to say in my signature...

borkingsparks

#8 Post by borkingsparks »

TAEKO wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:00 am Then that means that there is something quite wrong with the sprites you are using.
Could you upload a sample sprite?
I know this isn't a drawn sprite its just a photo, maybe that has something to do with it?
The thing is, I've used the same program for getting rid of backgrounds on photos or just artwork that I made, and they've come out with no background, so it's a bit confusing.
Attachments
pepper.jpg

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

That file is a jpg. Only pngs can do transparency. So, in the program you are using, you should make sure to save as png rather than jpg.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

borkingsparks

#10 Post by borkingsparks »

trooper6 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:44 pm That file is a jpg. Only pngs can do transparency. So, in the program you are using, you should make sure to save as png rather than jpg.
I know that this one is a jpg, but this problem is happening to both. I just posted one of the jpgs because it was quicker.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#11 Post by trooper6 »

Since jpgs can't have transparency, it will not work with jpgs. If it is also not working with pngs, you might want to post one of your pngs...so we can see if your pngs have a transparency layer or not.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978