Ren'Py for the web browser

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Beuc
Regular

Re: Ren'Py for the web browser

#76 Post by Beuc »

This depends on the web host.
For itch.io and newgrounds, you just put all the files (index.html, index.wasm.gz, etc.) in a .zip archive.

vyle

#77 Post by vyle »

Thanks :)). I have successfully put it on Newgrounds. For itch.io, it gives the player the exact same zip file lol.
I really want to show u how the game turns out, too bad it’s 18+ game, I don’t think I can post here.
Thank you very much for your web build ^v^

Beuc
Regular

#78 Post by Beuc »

Glad it worked!
For itch.io you need to tick "This file will be played in the browser".
PM me your game link and I'll reference it at renpy.beuc.net.
(There's also an age-restricted H section in this forum.)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#79 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Hello. I'm impressed with your work and when the latest Ren'Py version come out, I can't wait to test this feature in my ongoing project!
So here's my feedback. While it's overall playable, there are some issues I'd like to address.
Tested with Google Chrome browser on laptop.

1. The loading time is quite long (maybe given my project file size, although it's not exceeding 100 MB)
2. The text seems to lag a bit, but it still within acceptable
3. The BGM lag is audibly heard, and this is quite noticeable
4. My namebox doesn't appear properly like this
web.JPG
meanwhile when I tested it on my phone browser (it's on Chrome also) the namebox looks normal as it should be. But the lag is more noticeable.
HP.jpg
I dunno what's causing this because I asked some of my friends to test it also. Some reported the same problem while the others did not.
Maybe it has to do with the device specification?

Here's my laptop specification in case you need it:
Intel Celeron N3350, 1.1 GHz
RAM 4GB
Windows 10 64 bit

Yeah it's clearly low-end laptop so I kinda understand :lol:

Hopefully this kind of problem would resolved in the future.
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Beuc
Regular

#80 Post by Beuc »

Thanks for the detailed feedback!
tiya_nofurita wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 am 1. The loading time is quite long (maybe given my project file size, although it's not exceeding 100 MB)
2. The text seems to lag a bit, but it still within acceptable
3. The BGM lag is audibly heard, and this is quite noticeable
The perfs are low due to various techniques used to fit Ren'Py in the browser.
There are promises of improvements from the browsers, but they take their time...
I'd expect the BGM to be reasonably smooth on your laptop, but maybe that still requires better hardware.
tiya_nofurita wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 am 4. My namebox doesn't appear properly like this
meanwhile when I tested it on my phone browser (it's on Chrome also) the namebox looks normal as it should be. But the lag is more noticeable.
I've got no idea about this graphic glitch, especially since you say it works on other platforms.
I can investigate if you send me a (stripped down) version of your game.
tiya_nofurita wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 am I dunno what's causing this because I asked some of my friends to test it also. Some reported the same problem while the others did not.
Maybe it has to do with the device specification?
You mean the "Script error" message?
Any chance you can check the javascript console from the chrome built-in devtools? (Menu > More Tools > Developer tools)

Thanks again for sharing your experience :)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon

#81 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Hi! It seems the glitch I posted before is because of my browser's fault.
Now that I've updated Google Chrome into version 75.0.3770.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), the name box looks normal as it should be.

On the other hand, I got a report from my friends when he paused a game for a bit, and when he came back, there's an error like this.

This is not a big issue though, as I have tested from start to finish and found no error.
Here's the link of my VN that has been ported into web version if you're interested to try: https://nsaid.itch.io/allblack-ch1
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Beuc
Regular

#82 Post by Beuc »

tiya_nofurita wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm Hi! It seems the glitch I posted before is because of my browser's fault.
Good to hear!
Out of curiosity, what was the previous version?
tiya_nofurita wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm On the other hand, I got a report from my friends when he paused a game for a bit, and when he came back, there's an error like this.
Hmmm, do you know how he paused the game?
(left the computer unattended? minimized the browser? laptop suspended/hibernated?)
tiya_nofurita wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm Here's the link of my VN that has been ported into web version if you're interested to try: https://nsaid.itch.io/allblack-ch1
Thanks, that plays quite nice here.
I referenced it at renpy.beuc.net, and I see we've started growing the renpy+html5 list at itch.io ;)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#83 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Beuc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm Good to hear!
If I'm not mistaken, previously it's 72-something. Sorry I didn't take note of it. I didn't expect to receive such a significant change while it actually did lol.

Beuc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm Hmmm, do you know how he paused the game?
(left the computer unattended? minimized the browser? laptop suspended/hibernated?)
I don't know his exact statement by "paused", he only said "while afk" (away from keyboard?) so I assume he left for quite some time and then resuming the game (not sure if the computer turned out sleep/hibernated during that time)
Beuc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm Thanks, that plays quite nice here.
I referenced it at renpy.beuc.net, and I see we've started growing the renpy+html5 list at itch.io ;)
Yeah, still a few though. Thank you for adding my project into the list! :D I hope more in the future will join!
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#84 Post by Andredron »

Beuc wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 am
I do not know whether this information will be useful to you. But here are examples of where the text of the dialogue is translated, perhaps the author himself has finished all these machine translations, maybe he added some code in it, see if all of a sudden you find yourself a couple of useful ideas

https://tss.asenheim.org/

Beuc
Regular

#85 Post by Beuc »

AFAICS these are translations made by real people (not machine translations) :)

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#86 Post by Andredron »

Beuc wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:10 am AFAICS these are translations made by real people (not machine translations) :)
Damn, I thought that there are strings that you choose a bunch of languages, they say they tied online ...)

Hijikata
Completed: Lucy Got Problems
Projects: CrocApoca!!
Organization: Flat Chest
itch: flatchest

#87 Post by Hijikata »

Quick question.
Renpy's own Fullscreen function seems not to work properly in web builds, but the docs/roadmap are not clear about it. Itch.io has a neat option to include a fullscreen button in the frame where the game would play. Problem is, Newgrounds doesn't. So the question is, if can we make a similar button in html without modifying the game itself?

(I never had to deal with anyting web-based, so I have no idea what's possible and what's not, so I'm sorry if the question sounds stupid)
Image Image Follow us on Twitter
Resident hacker cat.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#88 Post by Imperf3kt »

Press F11 on your keyboard.
Note that this is not a renpy feature.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Beuc
Regular

#89 Post by Beuc »

Ren'Py itself has the 'F' shortcut, as well as way to change the fullscreen status in its preferences (which is currently hidden but this should change, see https://github.com/renpy/renpy/pull/1953 - you can add it back by removing the 'if renpy.variant("pc")' in your screens.rpy).
The real answer though is that toggling window/full-screen is currently a bit buggy, I'm working on it ^^

Yeroc78

#90 Post by Yeroc78 »

This is an amazing project! Thanks very much for doing this.

I'm new to all of this so sorry if this is dumb... when I build the web distribution and run it in browser directly from the Ren'Py launcher everything seems to work fine. If I try to run it by double-clicking the Index.html file, though, it gets stuck on "Downloading..." with the spinning circle. No progress bar or anything. What am I missing?