[Bug report] preferences.skip_unseen documentation error

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

[Bug report] preferences.skip_unseen documentation error

#1 Post by Imperf3kt »

According to the documentation, if preferences.skip_unseen is True, only previously unseen text will be skipped, while if it is False, all text is skipped.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/preferen ... kip_unseen
I have just tested this in Ren'Py 7.1.3.1092 and believe the opposite is happening.
If preferences.skip_unseen is True, all text is skipped, and if it is False, only text I've already read is skipped.

(It also doesn't make much sense to say only unseen text is skipped - that'd mean it won't skip seen text, which it does)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

strayerror
Regular

Re: [Bug report] preferences.skip_unseen documentation error

#2 Post by strayerror »

EDIT

Ooops, misinterpreted this as your expectation being that the behaviour should match the current documentation, which having now reread the topic title I see isn't the case. Redundant reiteration follows ... awkward! :oops:
originally wrote:I think this is perhaps a documentation issue, as the behaviour and semantics themselves appear to make sense:
  • By default seen text is skippable. This makes sense as a player likely only wants to skip seen text so as not to miss anything.
  • The skip_unseen flag just adds unseen text to what is skippable, the result being that everything (seen and unseen) is skippable.
It makes more sense when the documentation is updated to reflect this:

Code: Select all

-When True, Ren'Py will only skip unseen text. When False, Ren'Py will skip all text.
+When False, Ren'Py will only skip seen text. When True, Ren'Py will skip all text.