Voiceover

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
FurFles-

Voiceover

#1 Post by FurFles- »

Hi, I wanted a help with a really annoying problem.

I'm putting a system in my game where important phrases for the istoria will be dubbed

But there is a problem with this, how do I make the player not be able to empty the text until the speech is over? it is possible? and if that's how I do it?

I hope you can help me.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: Voiceover

#2 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I experimented with a lot of things to try and achieve something like Karaoke in a recent game.
I did not, however, put a hard pause on the lines, which I know is something that PyTom has been vocal about being opposed to, the idea being that people should be able to skip ahead if they wish to. You could experiment with hard pauses, but I would recommend against it for that reason.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/other.html#renpy.pause
" If the player enables skipping, the hard pause will be skipped. There may be other circumstances where the hard pause ends early or prevents Ren'Py from operating properly, these will not be treated as bugs.

In general, using hard pauses is rude. When the user clicks to advance the game, it's an explicit request - the user wishes the game to advance. To override that request is to assume you understand what the player wants more than the player does.

Calling renpy.pause guarantees that whatever is on the screen will be displayed for at least one frame, and hence has been shown to the player.

tl;dr - Don't use renpy.pause with hard=True."

Here is a forum post with someone using a hard pause:
viewtopic.php?t=47155

You could look into ways of using hard pauses if you REALLY had to, but I think a lot of people would be against it.

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Voiceover

#3 Post by Andredron »

ComputerArt.Club wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:35 am I experimented with a lot of things to try and achieve something like Karaoke in a recent game.
I did not, however, put a hard pause on the lines, which I know is something that PyTom has been vocal about being opposed to, the idea being that people should be able to skip ahead if they wish to. You could experiment with hard pauses, but I would recommend against it for that reason.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/other.html#renpy.pause
" If the player enables skipping, the hard pause will be skipped. There may be other circumstances where the hard pause ends early or prevents Ren'Py from operating properly, these will not be treated as bugs.

In general, using hard pauses is rude. When the user clicks to advance the game, it's an explicit request - the user wishes the game to advance. To override that request is to assume you understand what the player wants more than the player does.

Calling renpy.pause guarantees that whatever is on the screen will be displayed for at least one frame, and hence has been shown to the player.

tl;dr - Don't use renpy.pause with hard=True."

Here is a forum post with someone using a hard pause:
viewtopic.php?t=47155

You could look into ways of using hard pauses if you REALLY had to, but I think a lot of people would be against it.

5 post?

viewtopic.php?p=507536#p507536

Else

How to include an event in the middle of a phrase
Sometimes it is necessary, without interrupting the phrases of the character or narrator, to add some event (play music, show the character or change his emotion, etc.). This is done like this:
1. The first part of the phrase
2. Event
3. The second part of the phrase from the extend pseudo-character
for example

Code: Select all

jane "Something boring just sitting like that! Let me put on music! For example ..."

play music "mozart.ogg" fadein 1.0

extend "for example, here, Mozart. Do you like Mozart?"