Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Message
Author
User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#1 Post by uyjulian » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm

This is a port of Ren'Py, a visual novel game engine, to the Nintendo Switch for homebrew purposes. If you are looking for a commercial port for publishing to the Nintendo eShop, contact Ratalaika Games.

The main discussion forum for this port is on the Lemma Soft Forums: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=55503

Downloads of this port can be found at
https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switch/releases

For users wanting to take a sample of the functionality of Ren'Py, place "renpy-switch-the-question-vXXX.nro" in the "switch" folder of your SD card.

For game authors wanting to port to the Nintendo Switch, use the "renpy-switch-sdk-vXXX.7z" package. Read "README.html" for instructions on how to port your project.
Last edited by uyjulian on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:28 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:05 am
Location: Your monitor
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#2 Post by Imperf3kt » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Ooh, this is pretty awesome. I've always wanted to see Ren'Py work on the Switch. Not that I have one :(
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Twitter
Imperf3kt Blackjack - a WIP blackjack game for Android made using Ren'Py
Free Android GUI - Updated occasionally

User avatar
Andredron
Veteran
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 pm
Location: Russia
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#3 Post by Andredron » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm

uyjulian wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm
I made a quick-and-dirty homebrew port using devkitPro and libnx of Ren'Py to the Nintendo Switch. Downloads can be found at
https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switch/releases

For users wanting to take a sample of the functionality of Ren'Py, use renpy-switch-the-question package.

For game authors wanting to port to the Nintendo Switch, use renpy-switch package. Elf and nacp files are included so you can use elf2nro to insert your own title or icon.
Hi, can I check the launch on this emulator? Or a big difference in software? https://yuzu-emu.org
I know, I'm writing terribly in English.

I'm writing a Renpy textbook (in Russian). https://yadi.sk/d/ZX_DonP63USRru Update 22.06.18

Honest Critique

User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#4 Post by uyjulian » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:15 am

Andredron wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm
uyjulian wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm
I made a quick-and-dirty homebrew port using devkitPro and libnx of Ren'Py to the Nintendo Switch. Downloads can be found at
https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switch/releases

For users wanting to take a sample of the functionality of Ren'Py, use renpy-switch-the-question package.

For game authors wanting to port to the Nintendo Switch, use renpy-switch package. Elf and nacp files are included so you can use elf2nro to insert your own title or icon.
Hi, can I check the launch on this emulator? Or a big difference in software? https://yuzu-emu.org
I have only tested on real hardware, not using emulators.

User avatar
Andredron
Veteran
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 pm
Location: Russia
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#5 Post by Andredron » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 am

uyjulian wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:15 am
Andredron wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm
uyjulian wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm
I made a quick-and-dirty homebrew port using devkitPro and libnx of Ren'Py to the Nintendo Switch. Downloads can be found at
https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switch/releases

For users wanting to take a sample of the functionality of Ren'Py, use renpy-switch-the-question package.

For game authors wanting to port to the Nintendo Switch, use renpy-switch package. Elf and nacp files are included so you can use elf2nro to insert your own title or icon.
Hi, can I check the launch on this emulator? Or a big difference in software? https://yuzu-emu.org
I have only tested on real hardware, not using emulators.
Understand you, if you make detailed instructions https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switc ... ld_tips.md then they ask you to make a video instruction if there is an opportunity (Fraps for example)
I know, I'm writing terribly in English.

I'm writing a Renpy textbook (in Russian). https://yadi.sk/d/ZX_DonP63USRru Update 22.06.18

Honest Critique

User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#6 Post by uyjulian » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am

Andredron wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 am
uyjulian wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:15 am
Andredron wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm


Hi, can I check the launch on this emulator? Or a big difference in software? https://yuzu-emu.org
I have only tested on real hardware, not using emulators.
Understand you, if you make detailed instructions https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switc ... ld_tips.md then they ask you to make a video instruction if there is an opportunity (Fraps for example)
You don't need to follow those instructions. Just go to the downloads page linked above, extract "renpy-switch-v1.0.7z" to your SD card, place your project's "game" folder in the extracted folder, then run the game from hbmenu. I don't think those steps are complicated enough to warrant a video tutorial.

waterflaem
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#7 Post by waterflaem » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 am

Aha! I do have an account... it just seems I couldn't login because I somehow named it wrong...

This is really nice... I've been slowly writing a engine for cross-platform(on consoles) but I just had to drag the game folder and bam! Working.

User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#8 Post by uyjulian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 am

Version v1.1 has been released. Various bugs have been fixed. https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switc ... s/tag/v1.1

DeltaDriveX
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:22 am
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#9 Post by DeltaDriveX » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Ooh, I'll keep this in mind for later

User avatar
bonnie_641
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 pm
Projects: Código C.O.C.I.N.A.
Deviantart: rubymoonlily
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#10 Post by bonnie_641 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Thank you very much!

User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#11 Post by uyjulian » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm

It seems like "Ratalaika Games" has an official port of Ren'Py to the Nintendo Switch, so you might ask there if you are interested in submission to the Nintendo eShop.

User avatar
Andredron
Veteran
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 pm
Location: Russia
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#12 Post by Andredron » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:01 pm

uyjulian wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm
It seems like "Ratalaika Games" has an official port of Ren'Py to the Nintendo Switch, so you might ask there if you are interested in submission to the Nintendo eShop.
And who is it?
I know, I'm writing terribly in English.

I'm writing a Renpy textbook (in Russian). https://yadi.sk/d/ZX_DonP63USRru Update 22.06.18

Honest Critique

User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#13 Post by uyjulian » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Andredron wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:01 pm
uyjulian wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm
It seems like "Ratalaika Games" has an official port of Ren'Py to the Nintendo Switch, so you might ask there if you are interested in submission to the Nintendo eShop.
And who is it?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ratalaika+Games

User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#14 Post by uyjulian » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:24 am

Threading support is now available, and documentation is improved. I'll make a release on Monday.

User avatar
uyjulian
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 pm
Github: uyjulian
Contact:

Re: Ren'Py homebrew port to Nintendo Switch

#15 Post by uyjulian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:24 am

Version 1.2 is now out. Please download from https://github.com/uyjulian/renpy-switc ... s/tag/v1.2 . Threading support and exiting the game are now fixed. Python is now built with optimizations. Building documentation has improved.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users