Showcase game?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Showcase game?

#1 Post by gas »

When you download renpy, it come shipped with The Question and the Tutorial game.
Nice.

How about having a fullfledged and actual game free for download from the homepage, that can actually show the engine possibilities?
Not something propedeutical, but something that actually show what you can do with renpy... for real?
I suppose MOONLIGHT WALTZ served this role ages ago, but nothing like that was made again for modern Renpy.

It could be an interesting community project. It could be tagged as "Official Demo" or something like.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Showcase game?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Isn't that why "the question" is bundled with renpy?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#3 Post by isobellesophia »

gas is kinda right, i mean, The Question is helpful for basic example coding in RenPy games. And for better version, there will be some advanced example game aside from The Question. It'll be great when its filled some rotates... transforms... and some other python functions so that the user can understand python more while looking into their script files ;)

I don't think the entire code functions in RenPy could handle more than that for examples, only ones that are very helpful than basics ones.

That's all i can say.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Andredron »

Also offer docks docks or katawa shoudshio, or always remember me. In general, you’re right, she’s more scared away from short stories than she’s fascinating. As an option from Uncle Mugen, the fackin question, or marijuana from him.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gas »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:49 pm Isn't that why "the question" is bundled with renpy?
The Question is there as it work as a demo for strict renpy language. No ATL, no screen language and well, not even custom character declarations (I don't remember if side images are there, too, or CTC). Those are common features that probably people nowadays want for their games.
The entire 'The QUestion' script is hosted in the same docs...

It's hard to say The Question is a renpy showcase :). It's like the default map in RPG Maker.

An actual game, with all the power of renpy amd functions, and actually playable, that you can download from the home site, could probably drag more fan there.
And replying questions would be easier. "How to make that CTC like in the game?" "How to have that transition?". That reference will help a lot to identify Renpy with a given kind of games.

It's just a guess.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN