[bug] Pixel display on Mac

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

[bug] Pixel display on Mac

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

I've noticed pixels are displaying oddly on Mac. Anti-aliasing somewhat hides the problem, but using nearest neighbour shows scaling issues:
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 16.39.37.png
This pattern should be 2px black and white lines, but you can see some black lines are thicker/ thinner than others. This is happening across my game with various graphics. It also seems to be affecting the positions of images: I have characters blinking and the blinks are misaligned. If I adjust the numbers, it's too much the other way.
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 16.18.41.png
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 16.18.41.png (8.74 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
This underline is a 2x2 pixel image stretched horizontally, but it oddly tapers off at each side.

My game is 1920x1080 and my monitor resolution is 2880 × 1800. I suspect what should be 2 pixels is being upscaled to 3 or 2 and a half or something. It's making it difficult to test my game and I can't tell if my graphics are in the correct position. Typically, being 1/2 a pixel off wouldn't be such a problem, but since I am using pixel art, it is obvious. When testing on PC with 1920x1080 resolution, there are no problems.

I'm new to github and don't know how to upload a project to help fix this bug, but please let me know what I can do to help further as I'd like to help fix it.

I'm using Mac OS Big Sur, but I had this problem on High Sierra as well (I just recently updated to Big Sur). I have the latest release of Ren'py as well.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: [bug] Pixel display on Mac

#2 Post by PyTom »

Can you try the nightly? I think it should be fixed there.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Re: [bug] Pixel display on Mac

#3 Post by Kinmoku »

PyTom wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:10 pm Can you try the nightly? I think it should be fixed there.
Yes, it looks fixed! :D Beautiful! The sprites are looking good now.